Calories and ZigZagging

Options
I work part time in a busy shop and I also work from home as a writer/student. I usually set my calorie BMR to 'sedentary' because I spend so much time in front of my laptop, but when I'm on my feet all day working in retail I feel like I need more calories to keep my energy levels up.

Recently I've been changing my BMR to 'lightly active' on days when I'm on my feet all day as I thought this might be helpful in tricking my body with the whole 'zigzagging' thing as well as keeping me sustained, but I can't help but feel I'm just kidding myself on to allow myself more calories...

Any thoughts?

Replies

• ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i do the same thing, i wouldnt worry about it as long as your being honest with yourslef. What you could also do is estimate how long you were walking around on the retail days. Instead of switching your activity level, enter it in as exercise.
  • mmmpink
    Options
    You could always try adding on an extra couple hundred calories on those days. Try it out for a week or 2, keep notes of how you felt, and see if you continue losing. No one can give you a definitive answer of whether or not it will work, you'll just have to test it yourself! :)
  • nelsaphine
    nelsaphine Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i do the same thing, i wouldnt worry about it as long as your being honest with yourslef. What you could also do is estimate how long you were walking around on the retail days. Instead of switching your activity level, enter it in as exercise.

I agree with this...it totally makes sense to add it as exercise. You could also add a little more protein to your diet on your 'busy' days, it will keep you feeling 'full' and give you more energy. Good luck!
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Instead of switching your activity level, enter it in as exercise.

I think I'd definitely be kidding myself on if I did that! Hehe!

I think I'll just change it on my working days and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the responses :)
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I hostess part time and I looked up calories burned standing. I averaged about 10 different sites and got 50 cal per hour to stand. Now I know I sometimes run by tush off also but I only add the calories burned for standing as exercise on the days I work. So if I work an 8 hour shift I get 400 exercise calories. And I eat them. :laugh: