how do you do it?

Options
I have been pretty successful so far in losing weight. I know I have to be patient but I get tired of the same foods and exercises. How does everyone else lose their weight? I see so many who have lost 30-50 lbs so far. I wanna know the secrets! What are some of the foods? What kind of exercises are done?

PSST...I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one wondering how it is done.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My secret foods - Burgers, tacos, pizza, omelets etc... (basically I eat normal foods) I wont get on a "diet" i couldnt do forever, I eat normal stuff, I dont live on burgers etc like mentioned above, but I dont deprive myself stuff I want.

I exercise doing cardio, spin classes and running..

take it 1 lb at a time and just focus on hitting my calories
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Just remember fresh is best! Water is always a better choice than anything else. For me I have cut out all unneeded sugar and carbs. Hope this helps! :)
  • iDreamNEON
    Options
    Variety!! I Always End Up Changing My Exercise Routine After A Few Months. Right Now I'm Challenging Myself To Running 5k on The Elliptical In 30 Minutes. I've Made It Up To To 2.41 Miles So Far. When I Hit The 250 Pound Mark I Plan On Starting P90X. I Remember The Fit Test Alone Used To Scare Me But Now I Think "Hmm That's Not So Bad."

As Far As Food I'm Always Looking For New Recipes. I'm Not A Complete Health Nut But I'll Give Anything A Try. My Breakfast Routine Stays The Same [Either Cold Cereal and Almond Milk, Oatmeal and Fruit, Or Yogurt And Banana) But Only Because I 'm Not A Morning Person And Won't Cook At That Hour. Lunch Tends To Be A Sandwich Of Some Sort For Me Or A Salad And Dinner Is Where I Get To Experiment With Everything. I Always Look For New Recipes When I Find I'm Getting Bored With The Routine. Snack Time Is Adventurous Time. My Latest Love Is Hummus.

Just Keep Resparking Your Interest =]
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    My secret? No secret, just keep logging in everything, change up exercise, stay under my calories, and exercise. :happy:
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as clean as possible, but I have my cheat days. It's definitely not a good idea to deprive yourself of cheats.
    You need to look at it as a lifestyle change. Can't look at it as a diet. It's got to be something you can do for the rest of your life!
  • Zita_Jenn
    Zita_Jenn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I cut out the red meats... I have red meat once a week. If I am making Spaghetti or anything that you normally would use hamburger meat with, I would use ground chicken or ground turkey. Use portion control, don't deprive yourself if you want that bag of chips, have a small bowl, if you want a chocolate bar then have one but not 2. Exercise and drink your water.

Best of luck to you.
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    Thanks for posting this - I look at people's tickers with their phenomenal weight loss and wonder if that will ever be me.:smile:
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Its hard I know! But I don't limit myself to only "diet" food! I do make much better choices these days, but if I want a hamburger I get it, for me its about portion control. I'll just skip the fries and soda. And I stopped eating out for every meal! I also wasn't eating enough before! I now snack (on healthy stuff) ever 2-3 hours. That way I am never a starving idiot like before and eat everything in sight!

I also joined 24 Hour Fitness and I love going! At first I hated it! But now I love seeing the results! I also do the Biggest Loser DVD's, PX 90 is just way to much for me right now, but I know that one day int he near future I'll be able to do it without having a heart attack in the first two minutes!

I also started going to FA classes this past week. They seem to keep me motivated so far, but it's still new ya know.

Good luck! Feel free to add me if you need a buddy!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of lazy. I try to fit my exercise into my day.
    I do walk and swim and do weights.
    I eat healthy - lots of veggies, fruit and chicken. Low fat and low carb.
    I eat treats and real food. Cause I've been doing this for over 4 months. I couldn't keep going without treats!

The biggest thing for me is tracking everything I eat on this site. While on vacation I thought I could just estimate my calories but it wasn't that easy and I was always over.

And having friends so I feel accountable. I love the support from this site too.
  • Tammyblack
    Tammyblack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I spend a bit of time choosing my food and seeing how to make the most out of my calorie allowance! I also spend quite a lot on food but have cut down on alcohol so not really out of pocket - I also agree that looking at it as a total lifestyle change to improve your longer term health as well as your weight keeps me going - having a day off every now again but being aware of not falling for the abstinence violation effect which is what often happens. being aware of how this happens stengthens your weaker moments and stops a lapse becoming a relapse. walking has also made the difference - 30 mins a day - that's all it has taken for me - no fancy gym workouts just moving a bit more. Hope this helps and keep going!
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Measuring my portions

Logging everything that goes into my mouth

Eating more than 1200 cals a day-my base was 1400, now it's 1450 and I weigh about 130lbs.

Do the workout/exercise that's hardest for you to do personally-if it feels hard, it's working your muscles hard.

Get back to your younger days- If you were in better shape in middle/high school, college, 20's etc. what did you do to stay in shape? (example- I played field hockey in high school. We ran long distances, sprints, lunges, sit-ups...) I do some of that now.

I eat whatever I want, just keep the portions size to one.

Message me if you have any more questions!
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I'm with jrich. I try to partake in my cravings occasionally. But even then I try to do it in a healthy way. I've gone with turkey burgers, I make tacos at home for a healthy alternative, I've looked up some VERY delicious recipes at websites online (cookinglight, eatingwell, spark). So I'm not eating anything gross that feels like diet food or that I can't stand. If it's not something sustainable it's not going to work out. I should also buy stock in Skinny Cow, as being able to eat dessert really makes life good. :happy:

As far as keeping my working out up to par, the trick is to find something you enjoy. A lot of people say they hate working out. And if what they're meaning is that getting on a cardio machine and trying to pretend 45-60 minutes doesn't feel like an eternity - then I agree. I hate working out too. But if you find something you enjoy, then you can really stay dedicated to it. Personally, I play racquetball with my husband and swim laps (I'm like a fish, I've always loved swimming). My SIL loves P90x. She literally thinks its the most fun thing ever. I wasn't nearly as in love with it, personally, but you get the idea. You have to find a workout that doesn't feel like a chore every time you get up to do it. I suggest trying every class at the gym or workout video, etc, that you can find until you find something that doesn't suck TO YOU. Best case scenario, you find a few different things you can rotate.

Past that, my success is what keeps me motivated. Seeing the changes in my body and in my confidence levels, not to mention my endurance and strength - it's awesome. I guarantee its an addiction I enjoy more than any food addiction or tv show.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    ALSO! Get a little exercise in every day. Doesn't have to be hours in the gym...just do SOMETHING!! ::drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: -) :drinker:
  • Tammyblack
    Tammyblack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    goodness you have done so well what a massive achievement!
  • tawalsh01
    tawalsh01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello!! Something that might help you as far as the exercisiing is to make sure you switch up you workouts every 3-4 weeks! make sure you have resistance training and cardio in your routines. Weight training will NOT bulk you up contrary to popular belief. We, as women, do not have the testosterone so there for we will not get BIG and Bulky like a man. We will just get slim and tight! By switching workouts, for instance, one month, go as heavy as you can for 8-10 reps and the next month go a little lighter for 12-15. It tricks your body. As far as food is concerned, For me, I am very carbohydrtate sensitive! I don't take out all carbs but I try not to eat a lot. When i lost 40lbs last year, i personally followed the south Beach diet. I don't like the word diet but at the time this diet really helped me. there is always healthier alternatives for the foods that you crave out there. you just have to "play" around with how you make them. I hope this helped :-)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    This is just a general guide. I'm not going to go into specifics because we're all different. But you can ask me if you want.

1. Be Patient
    2. Plan and measure your meals, and then log it...even if you go over by 4000 calories. (a trip to any sports bar can do this)
    3. Research, both new reciepe's and excersise routines.
    4. Find an excersise routine you enjoy, and something you can set distict goals. Remember we all started somewhere. I started walking to the end of the block, last Saturday I ran 8 miles in training for a Half Marathon.
    5. If you have limited time and recourses put more emphesis on nutrition. You can't out excersise a bad diet.

I will also tell you I still consume burgers, pizza, Diet Mt Dew, and the occiasional cookie. I just limit my portions.
  • KerryB1977
    KerryB1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I eat what i want but go by calorie per serving to decide if it's worth passing through my lips. So far is helping me but not by any means an expert. hope this helps and best of luck! :happy: Oh and exercise and drinking my water.
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    thanks guys and gals for helping those who are thinking..."WOW! I wonder if I will ever get there!"