Fluctuating weight...

Options
So, a few weeks before I went on vacation, I weighed myself at 167 (nighttime after a workout). I didn't weigh myself for awhile until after vacation. Before I left, I was eating very healthy... 1200 calories, exercising moderately. After vacation (no, I didn't PIG out, but I didn't eat my normal healthy meals. However, I still worked out a few times on vacation), I weighed in at 180 (night time, after a workout). That was on July 10th. I started working out again right after vacation. July 12th, I weighed in at 178 (night time, after a workout). I didn't weigh myself for a few days, but continued to work out... Here is what has happened:

July 10th (night, after a workout): 180
July 12th (night, after a workout): 178
July 18th (night, after a workout): 176
July 19th (night, after a workout): 178.8
July 20th (noon, after a workout): 172.2
July 22nd (morning, after a workout): 174
July 23rd (night, after a workout): 175.8

(I always weigh myself twice, btw, for accuracy)

Now, I know water weight would've dropped easily after not eating so well on my trip, but it's been fluctuating a lot! Especially with me having the same routine since vacation.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Is this fairly normal? Especially the 6.5lb loss overnight!

Replies

• fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get crazy fluctuations, and I think they would be crazier if I weighed myself in the evening after working out.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Best way to explain it...

GlvNdEY.jpg
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback!! It's not that I'm worried about my weight so much, because I know that I am exercising well and eating very well, so eventually I'll get to a point of healthy, which is what I want.

I just don't want there to be some underlying issue that I'm ignoring. But if this is normal, then I'll take it with a grain of salt!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend weighing in the morning, but yeah, every day I'm fluctuatin'. Very normal.
  • soysauce6626
    soysauce6626 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This is very normal when it comes to water weight. When I go past my normal sodium intake my weight usually varies around 4-7 pounds. It's amazing how much water your body can store.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Back when I trained, it wasn't uncommon for us to lose 10 or more pounds of water weight per day depending on the season and where the training took place. Actually fat loss occurs more slowly. So any big loss is likely to be fluid related.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Best way to explain it...

GlvNdEY.jpg

LOL pretty much. Also, you have to be consistent with when you're weighing too. You're going to see fluctuations no matter what but at least if you weigh in at the same time you're taking out the morning weigh in vs night weigh in variable.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    weigh in the morning. I do it pre and post BM. Its an instant 1 - 3 pound drop!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    omg stahp weighing yourself so much!!
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've always found weighing myself in the morning before eating is the best time. At night the weight can fluctuate so much depending on what you ate during the day. My weight still fluctuates two or three pounds, but that's normal for me
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say that you were the only one... But your not! Like this morning I got on the scale and it said 172 last night (and yes I weigh myself consantly!) it said I weighed in at 178. Just pick a day and just record that weight. Otherwise you will kill yourself trying to figure out what you did wrong, when in reality you did nothing wrong.
  • carolinasaldana
    Options
    Congrats on 6lbs to go! YAY!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    omg stahp weighing yourself so much!!

IdowhatIwant_zps42099de3.gif
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    Okay, it sounds like this is a normal issue.. which is totally fine!

And I weigh myself just for reference.... I'm not obsessed with it. It's just that the scale is on the way out the door at the gym, so I just stop and see where I'm at.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It might help if you stop weighing yourself after a workout...your water weight will fluctuate a ton more depending on how much water you lose during your session.
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Dandeliiondreams Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback!! It's not that I'm worried about my weight so much, because I know that I am exercising well and eating very well, so eventually I'll get to a point of healthy, which is what I want.

I just don't want there to be some underlying issue that I'm ignoring. But if this is normal, then I'll take it with a grain of salt!

It can very normal, but it can also be a medical condition.. anytime you gain or loose 3lbs or more over night then you should check with a dr.. Fluid around your heart could cause this.. BUT It is also normal with dieting and weight loss.

http://www.ghc.org/healthAndWellness/?item=/common/healthAndWellness/conditions/heartDisease/chfBasics.html

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=4991824
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

It can very normal, but it can also be a medical condition.. anytime you gain or loose 3lbs or more over night then you should check with a dr.. Fluid around your heart could cause this.. BUT It is also normal with dieting and weight loss.

Well that escalated quickly..... That means everybody would be checking with their doctor every time they weighed themselves. I would imagine fluid around the heart would have other symptoms.
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Options
    Well that escalated quickly..... That means everybody would be checking with their doctor every time they weighed themselves. I would imagine fluid around the heart would have other symptoms.
    [/quote]

Once you check once and get a baseline to go off of then you wouldn't need to, it could be ruled as just water weight by your PCP. But its worth going just once to be sure. I also said its very likely just related to water weight.. mine goes back and forth all the time. And the other symptoms are similar to "everyday" Post workout feelings. Tired, achy, maybe nauseous. =)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

solid post.
    tumblr_m43fenS4rJ1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

it could be normal...but it could be AIDS, but it's also normal.
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Options

solid post.
    tumblr_m43fenS4rJ1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

it could be normal...but it could be AIDS, but it's also normal.

yours as well.. No advice but trying to look down on someone else for trying to help..

Go You !!