Push Ups

Options
I want to do them like a champ. I can't complete more than 3 at a time. My fitness routine calls for TWO push up exercises 3x12 wide push ups and 3x12 narrow. IN ONE DAY

Tell me how I can accomplish this

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    that's like me with sit ups, I do 250 a day, but cannot do them all at once.
    it does take time, baby steps.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Do as many as you can do. Rest. Do as many as you can do. Rest.

Rinse and repeat.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Modify, modify, modify. And keep pushing your limit. Don't do them every day. Work up to it.
  • johnrossmckay
    johnrossmckay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do as many as you can, and then do as many as you can just lowering yourself down.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you can work them elevated too- it's better than doing them on your knees.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Maybe try them from your knees 1st? I had to do pushups with my trainer and He wanted 20.... I gave him 10 from my toes and 15 from my knees. Modify them but maybe add 2 or 3 more. I can now do 25 from my toes. YOU GOT THIS!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Progressive improvement - go to the bottom of your stairs and do them with hands on the 4th step, next week 3rd step, next week... (well you get the picture!).

If your core is weak do some extra planks as well.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

Rinse and repeat.

this
  • estielouise
    estielouise Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Progressive improvement - go to the bottom of your stairs and do them with hands on the 4th step, next week 3rd step, next week... (well you get the picture!).

This is a great idea I am going to try this!!!
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Do push ups against the wall to build up strength. Once you get that down, move to the stairs or on your knees. When you get good at that, move to your toes!

Do dumbbell presses to build up chest strength, and dips to work your triceps, once or twice a week on days you don't do push ups.

To follow on a previous post, do planks to build strength and stability in your core.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Modify is the key! Put your knees down and your body straight as an arrow as it will be in an angle. Or simply do them on an obect that is on higher ground (steps, smith machine set at a lower setting, hands on a bench, etc) Do them nice and slow and controlled. To follow other post, increase core strength with planks!
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options

This ^^^

Rinse and repeat.

And This ^^^

For me personally I have found that I need to give at least 1 day of rest between Push Up days. But, when it is "Push Up" day I do a set in the am and a set in the pm. Sometimes I do four sets of 15-20. Sometimes I just do 5-8, ride the stationary bike for 2 minutes, do 5-8, ride the bike again, etc. etc. etc. until I am exhausted. I track my progress on a spreadsheet; slowly but surely I am seeing improvement.

Push Ups are a body weight great exercise which work a very large range of muscles. You will never see anyone on this site say anything negative about Push Ups!
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone about progression HOWEVER why are you doing a programme with two push up variations, when you can only do three at a time? And what practical benefit do you expect to get from doing both wide and narrow at this point in your push up career, that could not be achieved by just doing as many as possible in the position that you can do the most? wide push ups can be hard on the shoulder and rotator cuff.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone about progression HOWEVER why are you doing a programme with two push up variations, when you can only do three at a time? And what practical benefit do you expect to get from doing both wide and narrow at this point in your push up career, that could not be achieved by just doing as many as possible in the position that you can do the most? wide push ups can be hard on the shoulder and rotator cuff.

it's still helpful to do variations- even if you are doing a modified variation because you are targeting different portions of the chest- that doesn't change (the intensity will) but the AREA of target will not. So go ahead- do variations even if they are on the stairs and elevated. I have people do all sorts of crazy variations even on the riser step things.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    Try doing them on a stair. You can start out high and gradually go lower. Put a mirror on the stair-- you should be able to see yourself when you're lowering. This is advice I got from a military fitness expert.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Brilliant tips, guys! I can only just manage the modified (on knees) push ups... my current work out requires lots of arm strength for plank/ jump hop things!
  • MrsWillard13
    Options
    Update: I've been doing regular push ups today. I'm at 30 in the last 15 minutes..Working up to 72 total. I'm just gonna keep doing them till all 72 are complete.