Increase lifting weight?

Options
Ok, let me start by saying I'm not lifting-lifting. I know, I know I need to get over the self esteem issues with being a girl and lifting weights in a gym...sigh. What I am doing is using 6 pound hand weights. I've been on 6 pounds for a few weeks now and things are definitely getting easy when working certain muscle groups. Saying that, I still struggle with the 6 pounds with other muscle groups.

Should I go ahead and increase to 7 pound weights and hope that the muscle groups that are causing me troubles with 6's catch up? Or should I just enjoy the cake lifts while increasing my strength/stamina on the difficult reps? (Note: I do a daily cardio routine that includes the weights, it's difficult to switch between weights quickly.)

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Define trouble, and what you're having trouble with.

6 lbs is really....really light.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the routine is you're doing but you should aim to use the heaviest weight you can to reach your target reps. i.e. you should get to the end of a set and feel like you couldn't do another rep.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If you can increase weight with good for then go for it. Certian muscles in the body will be stronger than other so it makse sence to use heavier weight for different exercises.
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    I get why you would want to avoid changing weights mid-workout but I don't think most people can get away with using the same weight for every muscle group. You'll be letting yourself down if you do because the small muscle groups will always be holding the big muscle groups back.
  • MrsWillard13
    Options
    You're not gonna burn anything like you'd want with 6 or 7 lb weights. That being said there are some exercises that are just HARD (delt raises for me) and I HAD to start at 5 lbs. Just push yourself. I'm sure your purse weighs 6 lbs or so, so what are you really lifting. Don't be embarrassed by the other gorillas pumping at the gym. They're not judging you as much as you're probably judging yourself. Just do your think and **** everyone else.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You should be using a weight that only allows 6-12 reps to failure, fewer than 6 reps and your weight is too heavy, more than 12 reps and your weight is too light. 6 or 7 lbs seems waaaay too light, you will not build any muscle using that light of a weight, you are just endurance training your muscles at that point which basically does nothing...
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Increase the weight for the exercises that are too easy now with the 6, and stay with the 6 for the exercises that you still tire at the 6lb weight.

And don't mind everyone's "6lbs is too light" crap. Everyone starts somewhere and it's best to build up to something than start too heavy and hurt yourself. Only YOU know your ability. BTW...I started with 8's and my last set is REALLY hard...yep, weak little girly arms, but I'm trying to improve that!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    if 6-10 pounds feels heavy, you're probably wasting time doing a lot of isolation work. You should be hitting the compound lifts with much heavier weight instead.

I guess you're doing a lot of curls, tricep kickbacks... that kind of hting.

If you're a beginner, your workout should always include, primarily, compounds.

Overhead Press, Bench Press
    Squat, Deadlift
    Chin up, Rows
  • downeyek
    downeyek Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've only been using weights since about March and am up to 6 pounds from 4 pounds. While I realize that that sounds suuuuuuper light, GetSoda is correct in saying I'm doing a lot of isolation work. It's because it's part of a cardio routine. The routine often consists of squats, lunges, floor work, etc while using the hand weights. (Also, I tried to pick up my husbands 25 pound hand weights and I almost died a little b/c they were so heavy!)

My difficult muscle groups are in my shoulders primarily. I can do curls, kickbacks with 6 pounds for a loooooong time. I've never actually heard of compound lifting. Do you have any more information on that?
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    if 6-10 pounds feels heavy, you're probably wasting time doing a lot of isolation work. You should be hitting the compound lifts with much heavier weight instead.

I guess you're doing a lot of curls, tricep kickbacks... that kind of hting.

If you're a beginner, your workout should always include, primarily, compounds.

Overhead Press, Bench Press
    Squat, Deadlift
    Chin up, Rows

^ This, isolations can be left for the end of your workout. Your workout should revolve around compounds.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I've only been using weights since about March and am up to 6 pounds from 4 pounds. While I realize that that sounds suuuuuuper light, GetSoda is correct in saying I'm doing a lot of isolation work. It's because it's part of a cardio routine. The routine often consists of squats, lunges, floor work, etc while using the hand weights. (Also, I tried to pick up my husbands 25 pound hand weights and I almost died a little b/c they were so heavy!)

My difficult muscle groups are in my shoulders primarily. I can do curls, kickbacks with 6 pounds for a loooooong time. I've never actually heard of compound lifting. Do you have any more information on that?

Well... Are you working out in a gym? If so, check out books like Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women... or check out the Stronglifts site.

if you're working out at home, I'd suggest looking into a program like You Are Your Own Gym

For what it's worth, I helped my wife learn the compound movements. She can currently deadlift (basically bend over and pick straight up) around 220 lbs. TWO TWENTY! It didn't take long to get there either. =)
    Her max squat is around 190 lbs.

She kept her purple 5lb handweights for giggles.