Front squat to push press

Options
Nervous about attempting this one at the gym. I'm assuming I'm doing this outside the squat rack cage as it might be a bit of a tight fit inside?

Any tips on form? I've watched a few youtube vids but it would be great to get some more feedback.

Cheers.

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I always refer to BodyBuilding.com before I try complex moves like this. Their videos are a tad bit more reliable than YouTube and the random meat-head Joe's who think they rule the world.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    work on the front squat first.....once your able to front squat w/o losing balance, then you'll be ready to press
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This seems like a strange move, I would need much heavier weight for the squat than I'd be able to press...
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I always refer to BodyBuilding.com before I try complex moves like this. Their videos are a tad bit more reliable than YouTube and the random meat-head Joe's who think they rule the world.

tumblr_inline_mn7wqiTmRt1qz4rgp.gif
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    Thrusters, a common crossfit exercise.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    work on the front squat first.....once your able to front squat w/o losing balance, then you'll be ready to press

I agree with this.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and can do this kind of thing inside my rack.

Just stand inside the rack and hoist the naked bar above your head. If it doesn't touch the top of the rack - you're good to go.

BTW - these things are killer.....
  • mryak750
    Options
    This seems like a strange move, I would need much heavier weight for the squat than I'd be able to press...

No way...front squat are more difficult than a back squat....requires more core strength and shows all your muscle imbalances...most people hate it cause they cant do them
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    ...most people hate it cause they cant do them

Word!

For a truly humbling experience try overhead squats.... like front squats on crack!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    my main advice other than to seek out a coach who you trust to help you with form is perform this routine a lot with a dowel or empty bar in front of a mirror first many times. I'm an Olympic Weight Lifting Coach (certified by USA Olympic Weightlifting), and I don't let my clients touch weight until they have the form down perfect.

Both the front squat and the push press are parts of the progression for an Olympic clean and jerk, and as such I teach them both, so many people I see have poor front squat and OH squat form. It will save you the inevitable lower back injury if you practice with no weight in a mirror (sideways, to check your center of gravity and where your bar is).
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    In terms of difficutly:
    front squats > back squats
    overhead squats > front squats.

At 120lbs myself, I can back squat 135 lbs, front squat 95 lbs and overhead squat just the 'naked' bar at 45 lbs.

I've never tried to max out a thruster as I usually go for high reps, most weight i've done is 65 lbs but 21 reps....

anyways....just thought I'd give you an idea of what sounds like a small difference from your regular back squat can actually make a huge difference in your stability, strength and ability. Always start low until you are comfortable and have good form before taking it up a knotch!
  • mryak750
    Options
    ...most people hate it cause they cant do them

Word!

For a truly humbling experience try overhead squats.... like front squats on crack!

I'm not even ready for those