Help with Insanity and Losing Weight

So I'm in Week 3 of Insanity and my weight has stayed the same and hasn't budged. I've been eating healthy and doing Insanity each day but I'm not getting any results. I really enjoy walking on the treadmill so I was wondering if maybe walking 3 miles a day in the morning and doing Insanity in the evenings might help me lose weight. I've read that you won't see results with Insanity until the second month but I'm in a wedding in August so I'm trying to lose a bit before then. I'm getting very frustrated and discouraged because I feel like my hard work isn't paying off at all. I figured I'd at least see a pound or 2 difference but nothing is happening. Any advice or encouragement is welcome... I've also always had a hard time losing weight since I was young and I've thought about maybe getting my thyroid checked?

Replies

• Do you do measurements? I read the first time I started Insanity that the results aren't always noticeable with weight. They say that muscle weighs more than fat so if you're burning fat but creating muscle the scale may stay the same, but you might see the differences in other places.
  • TinkTribe
    TinkTribe Posts: 24 Member
    No I guess I should have done that. It's just discouraging you know? I wanna lose weight!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    When I did insanity I put on 2lbs.....

But I also lost a load of fat, so who cares what the scales say!
  • Oh trust me! I know!

I didn't measure either, but I figure if I'm staying under my calories and burning what I am. I've got to be going in the right direction.
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    No I guess I should have done that. It's just discouraging you know? I wanna lose weight!!

Taking your measurements is always best. Muscle wieghs more than fat and
    as you workout, you are building muscle and burning fat. After you complete
    Insanity, take your measurements again, then compare your SM's (starting meas.)
    to your FM's (finished meas.).

Take heart and hang in there. I know it can be discouraging and frusterating.
    I too, have a Wedding to attend in Sept. You may or may not lose the pounds
    you are aiming for, being happy for YOU is key. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    This complaint is so common that it's slowly becoming cliche.
    With Insanity, I didn't start truly losing weight until after the 3rd week, and that was after putting on 2-3 pounds during those first 3 weeks. By time I got to the Recovery Week and beyond, my body just started shedding it like crazy.

As far as my understanding of physiology goes, when you begin a workout like this, your muscles begin taking in water in order to heal/rebuild. This water retention and muscle growth might be a factor. Once you start putting on lean muscle, those muscles will become your new ally, burning fat even while you are at rest.................please note that I am not professional in this realm, but this is what I have discovered in doing exhaustive research in these matters.
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member

Losing weight is all fine and whatnot, but its the inches that count. You can have 2 people that weight the same, but look completely different. Keep track of your measurements. You're probably losing inches and not even realizing it. Don't get discouraged just pay attention to the right numbers. The scale is evil :-0
  • This may have been answered...eating enough. Insanity requires a decent amount of calories.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Im also doing insanity, im in week 4, i lost about 4.4lbs and about an inch off my waist !! i heard stories of people gaining in there 1st month but losing a lot of inches!! This one story i read was this girl lost 12 lbs in the 2 months but lost 9 inches.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member

Losing weight is all fine and whatnot, but its the inches that count. You can have 2 people that weight the same, but look completely different. Keep track of your measurements. You're probably losing inches and not even realizing it. Don't get discouraged just pay attention to the right numbers. The scale is evil :-0

^^^^^agree!!!
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    I'm on week 4, and I felt exactly how you felt. I was eating at a deficit, bustin' my behind, and didn't see any changes on the scale.It is frustrating, but don't get discouraged. I really wished on Day 1 I took measurements. However, I do see slight changes in my Day 1 picture and Day 20 pictures, and I improved significantly from the Fit Test on Day 1 versus Day 15. I couldn't agree more with the previous posters. Don't get so wrapped up on what the scale says!
  • TinkTribe
    TinkTribe Posts: 24 Member
    Thanks guys for the encouragement!
    I'll definitely keep going and hope to see a difference at the end :)
    I think I may need to up my calorie intake because MFP has me at 1240 calories a day at my weight and height but maybe that's why I haven't lost anything.
  • Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    So I'm in Week 3 of Insanity and my weight has stayed the same and hasn't budged. I've been eating healthy and doing Insanity each day but I'm not getting any results. I really enjoy walking on the treadmill so I was wondering if maybe walking 3 miles a day in the morning and doing Insanity in the evenings might help me lose weight. I've read that you won't see results with Insanity until the second month but I'm in a wedding in August so I'm trying to lose a bit before then. I'm getting very frustrated and discouraged because I feel like my hard work isn't paying off at all. I figured I'd at least see a pound or 2 difference but nothing is happening. Any advice or encouragement is welcome... I've also always had a hard time losing weight since I was young and I've thought about maybe getting my thyroid checked?

You should not only use the scale but use your measurements. I can't see your Food Diary so make sure you are not being to restrictive on GOOD Carbs and GOOD Fats and drinking plenty of water.
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    I didn't read the replies but wanted to pass on my experience. I wanted to lose about 15-20 lbs, during the first 4 weeks of insanity I lost nothing. Then between weeks 5-9 I lost about 7lbs. I did however lose 7 inches off my waist :)
  • NHUK
    NHUK Posts: 37 Member
    As you lose fat, you gain muscle, simple as that. If you check my profile I just added two photos, one before insanity, and one after the 60 days, I didn't have a special diet, and I didn't measure anything. I only lost about 7lbs but it looks like a lot more.

Keep at it, it really works.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    I just finished the program last week. I only lost ~5 pounds total, but the difference in appearance (and personal strength!) is astounding. It definitely LOOKS like a lot more than 5 pounds - and I'm now able to wiggle out of my "fat jeans" without undoing the zip/button!

Edit to add: The scale hardly budged during the first month. 2nd month workouts kick up quite a bit AND I upped my caloric intake (by a LOT) and have seen consistent losses on the scale since.
  • Taby69
    Taby69 Posts: 4
    NHuk I just checked your pictures and you look great. Congratulations! You look like you lost a lot more than 7 lbs. I am in month 1 day 2 and your pictures are motivation for me to keep pressing through to the 60 days. I needed to see real people with real results who completed Insanity. Thank you for sharing!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    I'm on week 3 of month 2, and no weight loss. 3% body fat and 4" of stomach gone though, so I'm happy. Since I am more or less at my healthy setpoint, I don't really trust the scale as a fat indicator. Water fluctuation tends to obscure fat loss at this point. Measurements are the way to go.
  • NHUK
    NHUK Posts: 37 Member
    To be fair, I'm not looking quite that good after gaining a few pounds back. So I am on a health drive to lose them again, get back to 14st and then intend to do the whole thing again when the weather isn't quite so hot and sticky. It will be easier this time knowing it will work.

Weird thing for me, is that I always found the 15-20 min warmup harder than the actual exercise routines....
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member

Weird thing for me, is that I always found the 15-20 min warmup harder than the actual exercise routines....
    Yes! That warm up is killer!!

And I gained during the first month too. But it's coming off now (in second month). Keep at it!!