WHY ARE MY LEGS STILL HURTING?

Options
So i have been walking everyday for the past 2 weeks and for some reason my leg muscles are not giving me a break im in so much pain when i finish walking im almost in tesrs but i keep pushing my self i wont give up and last night i hurt my ankle, and not to mention when i got up my knees were hurting,calfs,thighs and back what am i doing wrong im donna kill my self trying to get in shap i thought it was my shoes i had some nikes i bought then i got some reebox in a bigger size and that didnt help uhhh !!! im just so lost

Replies

• Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Did you just start this routine and is it the first time you have really exercised regularly? It is quite possible that your body needs a rest. I would recommend a starting routine of two days on one day rest and repeat until your stamina and your legs are ready for more then add a day or add mileage or speed. IF you continue to over do it and not listen to the signals our bodies give us you will end up injured and then you are back to square one.

Also, try some RICE, this is Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate.. After your walk, make sure you stretch then ice the parts that hurt and prop your feet or lower legs up with some pillows to help the blood flow out of the lower legs. You can also turn your shower to the coldest you can stand and let the water run down your legs to help with swelling.

good luck, take some rest breaks and know that this will pass with time and effort :wink:
  • plainjoe81
    plainjoe81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Switch to every other day, not a pro here but I've always heard to give the muscles a day off in between workouts. If the 1st few days work using this method perhaps you can double your "daily" routine to make up for your every other day off. Another option is to walk one day (lower body), and do upper body work out of some sort on that 2nd day, then keep alternating.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Slow down! You're not training for the olympics! You're using your muscles in new ways, and you're going to get sore. You need to give your muscles time to recover and get stronger. This is not a play-through-the-pain sort of deal, and you're not doing anything for yourself by over-training. If you try to jump in and do everything, you're going to get burnt out really quickly. Learn to listen to your body. We don't want to eat when we aren't hungry, and we don't want to exercise when our body needs some time to rest.
  • KerryB1977
    KerryB1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    not an expert by any means but you need a day to recover to let your muscles rejuvenate and also up your water intake some. Water helps your muscles quit aching because they crave water too. hope this helps.
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    thanks guys maybe i will take off today and 2morrow and just ice down and relax!!!
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    You should make yourself an appointment to see your doctor. That sounds like an awful lot of pain your experiencing. Never hurts to have a checkup and make sure something underlying isn't presenting itself. Also like the others suggested, give your body some time. If this is a huge change from what you had been doing daily, you need to let your body adjust. Great determination, you got the right mind set, just make sure your not hurting yourself in the mean time. Please let us know how things go.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Like they say, you need time to recover girl! I personally cannot walk very long unless I am a treadmill or on an elipticle. My joints hurt me so badly on any other surface. Esp my shin splints and heel. Just take it slower and figure out what works for you. Good Luck!
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was a runner for many years and throughout my pregnancy but stopped excercising for three months (one month before my son was born and 2 months afterwards). When I started again I walked for 2 weeks then began running again and was in so much pain. I was also 21 pounds overwieght. I stopped running for 1 month and just did everything on the Wii fit for 1 month. When I began again the pain was gone. I'm sure the break had something to do with it but I'm more certain that my ligaments, joints, and bones weren't in good enough shape to carry around all of my wieght. I think the strength training (sit-ups, lunges, squats, push-ups, etc) from the Wii Fit gave my body the strength to carry all of that weight and to support my muscles during a cardio work-out. This is all just my theory though, don't have any scientific evidence to back it. Just doing about 20 minutes of strength training at home twice a week in addition to your cardio can be really helpful. You can use bags of rice, water bottles, or cans of food instead of weights and you can find free strength training excercises online. Good luck!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    thanks guys maybe i will take off today and 2morrow and just ice down and relax!!!

One or two days won't hurt to rest, it seems like the wrong thing to do when you get started but it is absolutely the right move! Give it one or two days then get up and get out there for one or two and before you know it you'll be going everyday!
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    i do the wii fit also and i have no problem wit that its just when i hit the park that all se wrote
  • anti
    anti Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    > when i finish walking im almost in tears

Are you stretching your leg muscles properly beforehand?

Even though you think it's just a short walk, and that you shouldn't need to stretch, you actually do if you're pushing yourself.
    If I don't stretch, I always get excruciating 'shin-splints' within the first 100 metres. I took me a few times to work out which particular stretches stopped the pain. Also, for the first week or so I experienced shoulder and back pain, but that seemed to lessen as my body got more used to the exercise.

Good luck.