Body Fat percentage & realistic expectations?

Options
I just calculated my before and after body fat percentages using Weight, Forearm, wrist, waist & hips measurements on a calculator. I was expecting a bigger percentage because I have lost 11 inches in my waist, but I've only lost about 2% in 3 1/2 months overall. Am I being naive in my expectations. I feel like my body fat is much better than it was. I look better in my clothes and swimsuit, but I WANT abs and I'm guessing I'm going to have to get my percentage down in the teens before I can see them. I'm small framed (6 inch wrist and 9 inch forearm). I was eating around 1200 calories a day and working out for 1-1/2 hours 5 days a week. I am thinking I am going to have to build more muscle which means upping my calories. I lift already, but I'm just merely toning obviously instead of building mass.

How long does it take to realistically lower your body fat percentage? I am currently at 25.47%

Replies

• turtledrummer23
    Options
    First, keep in mind that all BF% calculations come with an amount of error. Second, you can quickly discern how long it will take you to lost an approximate amount of BF% based on calculating that as weightloss like this....

Total weight * (body fat % in decimal form) = Total fat on body

Total Fat on Body - (amount of weight you want to lose) = fat left on your body (if it was all fat loss)

Total weight - amount of weight you want to lose = goal weight

fat left on your body / goal weight = approximate new body fat percentage

This is an insanely rough figure due to not only measurement techinques but assumptions like losing 100% fat. but it can give you a rough estimate of where you'll be if you lose a certain amount of weight, in bf%
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that without strength training, then 3/4 of the weight we lose is fat, and 1/4 of it is muscle. And for people that are continually malnourished (anorexic, concentration camp, etc.), it's about 50/50 (the infamous starvation mode - the extra muscle loss decreases your metabolism). With strength training, you can hope for loosing a higher percentage of fat and a lower percentage of muscle.

So anyways, that makes the proposed calculation a bit more complicated... Maybe something like this?
    Total weight * (body fat % in decimal form) = Total fat on body

Total Fat on Body - (amount of weight you want to lose, divided by 4, times 3) = fat left on your body (if it was 3/4 fat loss)

Total weight - amount of weight you want to lose = goal weight

fat left on your body / goal weight = approximate new body fat percentage

So... assuming the previous poster's formula is roughly correct, then for me, line 1 would give 212 * 0.375 = 79.5
    Line 2 would be Line1 (75/4*3) = 23.25
    Line 3: 212 - 75 = 137
    Line 4: Line2 / Line3 = .169708 (or about 17% BF, in the end)

However, I've been going to the gym for strength training with a personal trainer, and will probably continue to do so. So the "/4*3" part won't be accurate for me (if it's accurate information, to begin with - which I don't really know for sure, since I just "read it somewhere"...)

Anyways, take this with a grain of salt. ;)

All that said, though, if you're going to try to build muscle, you will require more of certain specific nutrients (like lots of protein, and more carbs). I'm guessing that at 1200 calories, you won't be able to actually build muscle - you'll just end up really sore, instead. So don't forget to eat more calories (especially protein), to give your muscles something to rebuild with. (I think other nutrients like potassium help with avoiding soreness, too.) (My trainer suggests 20 grams of protein within 1 hour after your strength training - preferably in liquid form, because your body can process it faster and get the protein out to your muscles via the increased blood circulation from your training)

I'm FAR from an expert, though! Again, take this with a grain of salt, and feel free to question my info and do a bit more research on your own. :)
  • booncey
    booncey Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I'm just being impatient. I'm working hard and seeing results...just have to up my game :)
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. I'm just being impatient. I'm working hard and seeing results...just have to up my game :)

It takes roughly 4-5lbs to lose 1% but as someone mentioned above, whether its fat or muscle, is entirely up to you.
  • booncey
    booncey Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 18 lbs in 3 1/2 months and I've been lifting about 4-5 days a week. I do cardio & lift (alternating muscle groups) I don't really take any supplements besides a daily vitamin. I have occasionally drank a whey protein shake after a workout, but don't do it very often. I think I may need to incorporate that more into a daily regimen to increase my protein and calories. I tend to have a hard time meeting a 1200 calorie goal when I really think I should up it to 1400-1500 calories.

I want to continue losing the fat without losing any muscle. I have definitely increased my strength, so I would think that means I am at least maintaining muscle mass.

I only weigh 120 and I'm 5'5" so I feel I'm in a pretty healthy range, but I want to get a MUCH lower body fat percentage. lol...I want IT ALL :)