Turbo Jam Beginner

Options
ah327
ah327 Posts: 12 Member
I've finally decided to do the Turbo Jam DVD's I've had around for months now. I tried the Learn & Burn a few times and did the 20 minute workout last night. My question is, I'm more or less a beginner when it comes to exercise, and I had a horrible time keeping up with the DVD and the movements last night. Am I better off continuing with the same DVD for a few more days to get the moves down, or follow the calendar that comes with the DVD's?

Thanks!

Replies

• Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I would probably do the Learn and Burn a couple more times but don't stress too much. You will pick it up eventually but maybe a couple of times to focus on the correct form might help.
  • LadyQue25
    LadyQue25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree...just another day or 2 though. Then I would move on in order to learn the sequence of the videos. It'll get better day by day. I couldn't get those dang on rows/punches/back kick combos for the longest....lol I still slip up sometimes when I don't do TJ for a minute. Good Luck!!
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's not you, it's Chalean. She does a horrible job of queuing moves. Her choreography is also quite complicated, at least for me. I did much better with Hip Hop Abs. The moves are explained well, and even a klutz like me could get it and nail it.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Go through the learn & burn until you know the moves. Once you've done the workouts a few times, you won't even think about the moves, you'll know exactly what to do. I am very uncoordinated and it took me about a week or so to get the hang of the moves, you'll get it, just keep on keepin' on!
  • ah327
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses!! I am one of those people that feels like they have to do what the calendar says for something like this, so when I'm not comfortable moving on, I feel like I failed and get discouraged right away. Is there a different Beachbody work out that might be better for me since I'm just starting out or should I just stick with this? I'd like to get through Turbo Jam and then move on to Turbo Fire or one of the other Beachbody programs.

Thanks again!
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses!! I am one of those people that feels like they have to do what the calendar says for something like this, so when I'm not comfortable moving on, I feel like I failed and get discouraged right away. Is there a different Beachbody work out that might be better for me since I'm just starting out or should I just stick with this? I'd like to get through Turbo Jam and then move on to Turbo Fire or one of the other Beachbody programs.

Thanks again!

Stick with TurboJam. I did the Learn and Burn a couple times and then had no problem keeping up with her. I did TJam for a couple months and then did TurboFire. The moves with TFire are basically the same as TJam, just much MUCH faster! They are both still may absolute favorites. Good luck to you!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I am very linear about things too (I must do it in the order that it says! LOL). However, stick with the learn and burn until you are comfortable and then move on to the other workouts. Turbo Jam is really fun, and even now, many years after doing it for the first time, I'm still not bored with it. Even if you move on from Learn and Burn earlier, you will still get a good workout if you keep moving even if you aren't exactly on point with what Chalene wants you to be doing. Eventually, you'll get there.
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It'll get better the more you do it. Also, you can follow Ana Rita or the other chick who does the modified versions to begin with, until you're more comfortable with the sequence. Eventually, you'll be able to do it without even watching (I used to watch TV when doing TJ :smile: )
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    I disagree that Chalene doesn't explain things. She is so good at giving cues about when to switch and her routines are very easy to follow, you just have to copy her or watch the other people for modifications. You'll get a hang of it very soon. Honestly I didn't even do Learn and Burn (I just watched it one time), I went straight into her workouts. Chalene Johnson is my favorite!
    Turbo Fire would be too hard for you right now. Try Turbo Jam for a few months, you will become a fan of Chalene Johnson!
  • Daisy80
    Options
    I totally understand what you mean. I am restarting after years so I am planning to do the Learn and Burn and the 20min workout till Monday and then start the routine. That way you can get the moves down and start fresh on Monday.
    Also don't get discourage if you can't do the routine perfectly straight away. As others said as long as you still keep moving and just punch and kick you'll get the workout in and everytime you will get better and better :-)
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,024 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I was just wondering if there were any other beginners out there who were doing Turbo Jam. I have been doing Learn & Burn for a couple weeks and this week have decided to do the Beginner Plan but with the 20 Minute Work Out each time instead of doing Learn & Burn for the first 2 days. So, I am on Week 1 of the Beginner schedule replacing Learn & Burn with 20 Minute Work Out.

The 20 Minute Work Out is finally starting to feel better. I did it twice last week and nothing else the rest of the week (a bad week for me). This week, so far I've done it 3 times. I will do it, again, tomorrow and then do Week 2 starting on Sunday.

I'd love for us to keep up with each other while doing this.
    Linda
  • ah327
    Options
    Thanks again to all of you for your responses! I feel much better about things now than I did this morning. I believe tonight I will do the Learn & Burn along with the 20 minute work out and continue doing that daily until I feel comfortable moving on with the rest of the program.

Linda I sent you a friend request as I would love to have a motivating partner along the way! I've lost 40 pounds, a good chunk before myfitnesspal, and the rest since starting here. Now, I need to tone and strengthen!

Thanks again to you all!
  • Elbee1
    Options
    Wow! Those 2 together in one day are a lot for a beginner. I'm glad you're feeling better about TJ, now.
    Yes, I'd love for us to partner up and motivate each other. I plan to do the 20 Minute Work Out tomorrow morning and then I am done for this week as far as TJ goes. I will start Week 2 of the Beginner Schedule on Sunday.

Congrats on all your weight loss!
    Linda
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I loooove Turbo Jam! It took me a while to get down the moves,they just ended up "clicking" one day.Stick with it,I saw amazing improvement in my legs,waist and arms.I used it in the past to lose 60 pounds.I would use it again but my precious 2 year old got ahold of it and ruined it :(
  • Elbee1
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation, Ruth!
    I am on Week 2, Day 2 of the Beginner Schedule. Off to do it, now!
    Wish there were others who would join me.
    Linda
  • jdwsbutterfly5604
    jdwsbutterfly5604 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been doing TJ for about a month now. My friend at work lost weight doing it and she said she had fun working out to TJ. I have never once went by the calendar. I tried starting off with Punch, Kick, Jam, my friends favorite, but boy I switched ASAP. As a beginner I couldn't keep up. For the first week or so I did just the 20 minute workout routine to get myself in the hang of exerciseing from not doing anything. I then tried the Ab Jam...man that burns. lol I have since tried the Punch, Kick Jame again and I can keep up now. :) I have yet to try the Lean and Burn, Totally Tubular, etc. I did do Cardio Party 3 once, but didnt make it through the whole routine. I was pooped. I am just trying to incorporate some cardio and/or something into my daily routine. I have been doing TJ or Dance Central on Xbox or riding my bike around the block 4-5 times a week for at least 30 minutes. I LOVE TJ!
  • Elbee1
    Options
    Thanks for the great report on TJ! I did the 20 minute workout and ab jam, today. Ab Jam was really tough!
  • Daisy80
    Options
    Hi

I finally got started again today. As I said I did it before a few years ago so the moves felt really familiar. I think I might still to the Learn and Burn one more time thought to properly settle in.

We should check in here as I really like having other people to check in with.
  • Elbee1
    Options
    Daisy, I am so glad you posted here. I would love to check in regularly with y'all, here. Week 2 is going well. I started Week 2 on Monday and did Cardio Party, yesterday. That was very hard for me as I am in bad condition. But, I did it and am glad! I also thru in some push-ups & dips, yesterday, and back exercises which includes planks & crunches.

On tap for today is "20 Minute Work Out and Ab Jam. I am so looking forward to Ab Jam - NOT!

Good luck with your week, Daisy.
    Linda
  • Kimmywells
    Kimmywells Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I too like Tubro Jam, I started with learn & burn, but I found it easy to work on the 20 mins work I didn't always get the moves at first but the more I didn't the better it got. If you have anymore question you add me as a friend. I lose 24 lbs a few years back on it. Then I stop, I am now getting back into.