takeout or no takeout??

Its my birthday guys BUT I was at my lowesr weight today. My wife was going to take me for a meal but I didnt want to as I was trying to eat better and also hard with our baby. Should I have a takeaway for my bday or should I just sleep it off. I had the smallest smidgen of cake today and refused anymore but now feeling like maybe I should just enjoy my 1 day a year?? What you guys think?? I hate the fact I will gain weight for atleast 3 days if I have a takeout. I know its probs actually like.5 ibs I gain but takes a whike for sodium to get out bla bla.. anyways HELP!!!

Replies

• amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I say you should go out & make sensible choices. You have to be able to live your life or you will not be able to keep it up. You don't have to use a special occasion to go all crazy, but going out for a nice meal & having some cake is not going to slow you down in the long run.
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    I totally agree with AmyK! You can still go out and enjoy the company of others and celebrate your birthday without ruining everything you've worked so hard for! Happy Birthday!
  • thatch1234
    thatch1234 Posts: 276 Member
    The issue is I cant go out as no babysitter and also the only takeout in the area is a burger place . So like kebabs/burgers/fries/pizza etc. No sensible choices to take lol
  • thatch1234
    Still cant decide... bump :(
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    well you can still make good choices :)

get a burger their smallest one take off mayo or cheese if they have it or the kabobs pick a lean meat with veggies :)

Happy birthday :)
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    I don't always have my birthday celebration on the day of. Is there anyway you can make some kind of plan for this weekend so you can get a sitter and go somewhere that has some healthier choices? That way you can stop stressing about it today.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    You could even be semi healthy with pizza - get a thin crust and veg only toppings. Or just get whatever the hell you want! It's your birthday man! Take this one day (and probably 5 or 6 other days) per year and have something you really enjoy, calories be damned! Just make sure you go right back on track the next day. A little blip now and then shouldn't do that much damage.

When I splurge, I try to pick one thing. For instance, had a girls weekend with my besties recently and kept the food choices pretty healthy and light but went ahead and had a few drinks. Normally I avoid drinks because I'd rather use the calories on food but this was a special occassion - we were celebrating a few things and hadn't seen each other in almost 6 months!
  • vjm7981
    vjm7981 Posts: 42 Member
    Happy Birthday 2 ya!! My Birthday was last Tuesday....I INDULGED big time! Went to a Japanese steak house and had chicken/shrimp, rice, veggies, sushi and alcoholic beverages and then went home and had a nice, big, delicious piece of Tuxedo Chocolate Truffle cake, oh and more beer. It was amazing. I was up in weight the next day b/c of sodium and the fact that alcohol always makes me retain water, but by Friday I was at my lowest weight yet (oh and this is after eating ANOTHER piece of that same cake Wednesday, haha). So very worth it to me. Sometimes it actually does your body good to say "forget it" and indulge for a day or two. Just don't make it a habit and just get back on track. . :drinker:
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    If we can't enjoy a bit of indulgence every now and then whats the point?? At some point when you hit your goal you may even still be too scared as you'll worry about your maintenance calories!

Life happens as I always say. Think about Christmas and all of the good food that's coming then! Just enjoy your birthday! x
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Enjoy your birthday. 1 day of indulgence will not undo all your progress!
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Happy Birthday! Think of it this way... Are you planning to NEVER have take out again? You already made a great move by having a piece of cake, just a smaller piece. Why not do the same here? Start NOW eating the way you plan to eat for the rest of your life. Why restrict yourself now, lose the weight, and then not know how to incorporate higher caloric/sodium foods later when you reach maintenance and have to start that learning process/struggle? This way you can still enjoy those foods and then maintenance will be easier because you've already learned how to work those foods into your lifestyle. :happy:
  • KelliB3
    KelliB3 Posts: 39 Member
    Happy Birthday! I say go for it - you deserve it even it you're eating something totally unhealthy! Just go for a run or something tomorrow to burn that sucker off! I eat pretty darn healthy Monday to Friday and then a let loose a bit on the weekends but make sure to also get in a work out to help even it all out.

We are only human.
  • thatch1234
    Thank you all so much for responding. Feels good to have backup lol. I know I should just blow it today, its just a mental block ya know... theres a reason im watching calories in first place. But its all about moderation I gota remember that.. thanks again!!!
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Ummm I switched my MFP account to maintenance the whole week of my birthday so I could have treats every day! :drinker:

Happy Birthday!!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    You aren't going to gain weight for 3 days eating takeout for one meal........unless you eat an insane amount of food.
  • d8v3yb
    d8v3yb Posts: 4
    Happy birthday, I know at our local takeaway the chicken kebabs are prob the healthiest thing on the menu (depending on the sauces) as they are grilled chicken & salad

Anyways it's your birthday let your hair down for a few hours and catch up tomorrow
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Happy birthday! I say you should enjoy your day. It's OK to indulge every so often, just don't make it a regular thing and you'll be fine. There are going to be occasions where it's impossible or impractical to eat perfectly healthily, and you just have to roll with it. And there will be occasions where you just really want some gosh-darn Chinese food, and that's OK too. One restaurant meal is not going to catapult you back to your starting weight.
  • thatch1234
    Ok the verdict is in. I ordered a chicken kebab with salad/no sauce. And small chips (fries). So I will be over calorie goal but all that orotein!! Good for my workout tomorrow. Thanks all for the birthday wishes and I will be back on track tomorrow. :):)