Holy Crow, this stuff is good (recipe)

Options
Phrick
Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
Oh my gosh, you guys, this is SO GOOD. Tastes like the inside of a Chicken Pot Pie, but low in calories (for a dinner meal)!

Smothered Chicken in Gravy (Crock Pot)
4 really good size servings (could serve 6)

Ingredients

• 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
• 3 medium carrots — sliced or diced
• 1/3 cup onion — chopped
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence seasoning, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
• 1 package Knorr roasted chicken gravy mix
• 1/3 cup buttermilk or 2 % milk
• 2 teaspoons flour
• 1 cup frozen peas

**NOTE** I left the peas and carrots out of mine, or my husband and kids wouldn't eat it

Directions

In a 4 to 6 quart crock pot, combine chicken, onion, chicken broth, butter, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence and bay leaf; mix well.

Cover; cook on low setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high setting for 3 hours.

About 20 minutes before serving, remove chicken breast from crock pot. Remove and discard bay leaf; stir gravy mix into remaining crock pot liquid. Shred the meat with 2 forks and return it to the crockpot.

In a measuring cup, blend buttermilk or milk and flour until smooth. Stir this flour mixture and the frozen peas into chicken/gravy mixture as well as the reserved 1 teaspoon of Herbs de Provence and 1/2 teaspoon of poultry seasoning; mix well. Cover, increase heat to high, and cook an additional 25-20 minutes until the peas are done. If the gravy is too thick add a little more milk or chicken broth.

Serve with rice or biscuits, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes or noodles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I ended up using 19 ounces of chicken breast, because that's what I had on hand in the freezer. I used 2 Tablespoons of real butter (unsalted), used buttermilk made from powdered SaCo mix, and as noted I left out the peas and carrots because I have pickypants, whiny baby kids and husband. Because I left out the veggies, I used the smaller 4qt crock pot size and it was just right. Nutrition based on that information is:

Calories: 236 calories / 10g fat / 10g carbs / 31g protein

I served it over Pillsbury Southern Style frozen biscuits (170 cals each, yikes but so good) but I imagine it would be to die for over noodles or on potatoes too!

Replies

• bbzgrl110
    bbzgrl110 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good, gonna have to try it :happy:
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    YUM
  • bethmfair
    bethmfair Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kreider86
    Kreider86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    sounds good. Bump!
  • halama626
    halama626 Posts: 16
    Options
    I just made something similar to this yesterday and you are right! AMAZING! :)

1 1/4
    pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
    tablespoon instant chopped onion
    dried bay leaf
    1/4
    teaspoon pepper
    jar (18 oz) chicken gravy
    medium celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch slices
    2 1/4
    cups Original Bisquick® mix
    2/3
    cup milk
    bag (12 oz) Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ frozen mixed vegetables

Place chicken in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Top with onion, bay leaf, pepper and gravy. Place celery on gravy.
    Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
    About 30 minutes before serving, make and bake 8 biscuits using Bisquick mix and milk as directed on package.
    Meanwhile, gently stir frozen vegetables into chicken mixture. Increase heat setting to High. Cover and cook 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
    For each serving, split biscuit and place in soup bowl or tart pan. Spoon about 3/4 cup chicken mixture on top of biscuit.

Note: This recipe was tested in slow cookers with heating elements in the side and bottom of the cooker, not in cookers that stand only on a heated base. For slow cookers with just a heated base, follow the manufacturer’s directions for layering ingredients and choosing a temperature.
    EXPERT TIPS

In a rush, enjoy this as a hearty stew without the biscuits.

Stir 1/4 cup white wine into the chicken mixture, and bake frozen puff pastry shells in place of the biscuits for an elegant twist.

Got questions? Our experts have the answers. Ask Betty now.
    NUTRITION INFORMATION

1 Serving Calories335 ( Calories from Fat135 ), Total Fat15 g (Saturated Fat4 g, ), Cholesterol45 mg Sodium940 mg Total Carbohydrate29 g (Dietary Fiber3 g ), Protein21 g ; % Daily Value*: Vitamin A42%; Vitamin C16%; Calcium14%; Iron16%; Exchanges:2 Starch; 2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
  • sum1s
    sum1s Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, chicken pot pie without the pie? Sounds good to me!
  • tackie8383
    tackie8383 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    bump bump!
  • Shenzi03
    Shenzi03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. Thanks!
  • romanticRECK
    Options
    bump
  • chellefatfree
    chellefatfree Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, that does sound good!!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    :)
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy, always looking for good crockpot dinners, thanks

edited to correct spelling
  • jcs56inoregon
    Options
    That sounds really good. Thanks
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    This sounds really good. I am going to make a couple of Paleo modifications and try it!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I thought this was gonna be a funny joke thread about someone finally trying a dreaded cauliflower recipe after bashing it and liking it and admitting to having to "eat crow". Dissappoint.
  • fourtwingles
    fourtwingles Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that and bump.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    :tongue:
  • aharper84
    aharper84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bump