Housework

Options
I just can't get inspired by housework. I don't feel good, and to be honest my place has always been crowded (I had to downsize unexpectedly). Plus, I haven't had the money to buy bookcases, storage boxes, etc.
So today my landlord gave me 45 minutes notice that the City Inspector was going to be there for the annual inspection. I asked for extra time, and they said it had to be today. So the City Inspector jumped all over me for too much stuff, not cleaned, etc.
So any advice for dealing with my marathon required cleaning session? I don't have any friends who can come over to help (and I'm embarrassed by it anyway).
My deadline is less than a month for the inspector, and probably a lot of it has to be done in the next 2 weeks to get some repairs done in the place.

Replies

• amscobra
    Options
    you can find a cleaning crew to come out for a decent price, google cleaning companies, sometimes they have deals, and i know people that have advertised on craigslist to come clean peoples houses for cheap.
  • lilmom1
    Options
    You can do it! Can you part with a few things maybe a yard sale, that might give you the funds for shelves bins etc.. hang in there.
  • brendac72
    brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow! Not much warning, huh? You said you didnt have the money to buy bookcases, storage boxes, etc wy don't you try to going to your local grocery store and ask for boxes, they always have them. Maybe once some of the things are put into boxes it won't seem as cluttered. Do you have any family that can give you a hand? Are you renting an apartment or house? Where do you live? There has to be somebody that can help you. Another place that is very cheap is a second hand store, you can get really good bargains there. I wasnt sure how much you can spend,
  • beccabeccac
    beccabeccac Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One thing that I find helps me sometimes is to crank some really uptempo music (Pink in my case), and have a glass of ice cold Diet Coke on standby.

On a side note, your landlord must give you 24 hours notice to enter the premises for non-emergency situations. I would let your landlord know that in the future he/she needs to give you proper notice so you're not caught unawares like this.
  • iowabelle
    Options
    I haven't been working lately (part of the cause of my depression) and really have no money. Plus, no car, and very few stores in my vicinity. No family in the area. No funds to hire a cleaner... so it's got to be me. Yikes!

Yes, it's a horrible little apartment I've rented.

I did complain to the landlord... this isn't the first time they've done this, plus they've done other things which really make me want to move. Unfortunately, you can't move without money.

The upside is I do have a job interview tomorrow. I'm hoping I get a decent night's sleep tonight after today's upset.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Get some boxes from local stores (grocery usually have them out back). Charitable organizations (like Goodwill) will come pick up what you want to donate. If you have a lot of trash, call the city and ask for a dumpster. That will cost you but it is minimal. I love the music idea. My only other idea is to rent a storage locker - but that costs some money too.
  • davidcookfan
    davidcookfan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ALL THE BEST!! @ your interview 2morrow. Keep your head held high and put a smile on your face. I myself have beed going through a depression as well. I just had a baby, my second. I thikn the stress of having a toddler running around with a newborn got to me. I am doing alright now. And i know how it feels i have a small house the kids toys are everywhere and they share a bedroom. I would just ask your friends. maybe they have extra storage bins and crates they could lend you until you get something. It is tough but don't give up!!!! Just remeber tomarrow will be a better day!!:smile:
  • iowabelle
    Options
    A storage locker isn't a good option... I couldn't afford the rent on the one I had and lost most of my worldly goods (furniture, professional books, some family heirlooms, etc.). That was very hard for me to deal with... but since that happened I had a lot of people from my past lose everything in Katrina. It still hurts that I lost some things (like my great-great-grandparents' love letters) but emotionally I can live without my dressers, etc. Who would have thought a consequence of a hurricane would be perspective??

So I'll hope for the best at the interview. If I get it, I think he'll want me to start quickly, maybe next week, and then I can work on the boxes.

As for tonight and tomorrow, I can mop a floor or two and take my garbage out.

Thanks for the good thoughts!
  • cathleenwm
    Options
    go to your local church
  • cathleenwm
    Options
    go to your local church
  • GLW1969
    Options
    i went through something similar but i wasn't on my own i had 3 small kids at the time and they made messes constantly the best advice i can offer is go through your things and if it is broken or no longer works toss it out. if you have lots of books that you have and other things you absolutely do not need sell them in a yard sale. i eliminate at least 2 rooms of unneeded clutter that way by getting rid of the broken and non working items and selling off things
    i or my kids did not need or out grew and ended up with a few bucks to boot.

good luck with the interview and clean up effort and find some music that you enjoy and crank it up while cleaning i know it helps me make it through .