1.5 yrs Post Op and new to MFP

Options
Hi All -

I am a 52 yr old WF, 1.5 years post op Sleever. I've lost about 60 lbs but hit a brick wall about 9 months ago. Been working on some medical issues (sleep apnea, sinus surgery and arthritis) and am now getting back on track with diet and exercise. Was turned on to MFP by a co-worker and so far I just love it.::bigsmile:

I am starting today on a "back to the basics" plan by my hubby, doing the low carb protein shakes, and adding more exercise. I plan to do this for at least 4 days, then slowly add back solid foods. I had gotten into some bad eathing habits during the surgery and ongoing medical testing, so I need this as a type of cleansing and to break those habits again.

Over the years I've done a lot of "dieting", and found that for me surgery was the best option. I am a very, very slow looser, and I tend toward not exercising, so I need the encouragement of others to keep me motivated.

Replies

• janie12835
    janie12835 Posts: 75
    Options
    Thrilled that you are on the road to recovery! If you've been reading much here on MFP, then you will have read that there are a couple of important pieces. Log everything, absolutely every single bite! If you don't have a food scale, consider getting one. It's very surprising how "off" our understanding of a single serving can be. Start moving, too. It doesn't have to be a major workout, but just get more active. Weight loss happens when calories in is less than calories out :-) Use this site ~ you should find others who are in, or have been in, similar situations. Read the message boards, blogs and send friend requests so you develop a support system here. Welcome and good luck!

125421jndpxabtet.gif
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Glad to meet you! I hope you find success here and lots of support. Logging everything and getting some walking or some type of movement in to your day is only going to help you further along.
  • hadiyajade
    hadiyajade Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm Here to help you as much as i can.... Anything you need just let me know..... Hopefully i wont become a pain with it...
    Hi All -

I am a 52 yr old WF, 1.5 years post op Sleever. I've lost about 60 lbs but hit a brick wall about 9 months ago. Been working on some medical issues (sleep apnea, sinus surgery and arthritis) and am now getting back on track with diet and exercise. Was turned on to MFP by a co-worker and so far I just love it.::bigsmile:

I am starting today on a "back to the basics" plan by my hubby, doing the low carb protein shakes, and adding more exercise. I plan to do this for at least 4 days, then slowly add back solid foods. I had gotten into some bad eathing habits during the surgery and ongoing medical testing, so I need this as a type of cleansing and to break those habits again.

Over the years I've done a lot of "dieting", and found that for me surgery was the best option. I am a very, very slow looser, and I tend toward not exercising, so I need the encouragement of others to keep me motivated.
  • RASmith0185
    RASmith0185 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are never a pain! You are an inspiration!!
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I am here to help if you need me :) I had the sleeve performed 2 years ago and MFP has helped a ton with getting the last bit of weight off
  • RASmith0185
    RASmith0185 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I do have a food scale (from many years on WW) and I still use it semi-regularly. I tend to forget what 3 oz of protein looks like - but toward the smaller end of things, so I end up not getting enough. My walking buddy at work is such an inspiration to me too - and gets me up and moving when normally I'd just stay sitting at the desk all day long. I am just super excited to get the mental motivation back for this next phase of my journey.
  • mrscewinters
    mrscewinters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sign me up! I am right about the same time frame from surgery as you. I hit my wall very very early on. Rebooted this month and working toward kicking the last of this. Been looking for those further out that are learning the long term journey of being post op. I am on most of the day at work trying to keep my mind right, and avoid mindless eating! I would love friend requests! Let do this!!
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    oh me too! I had surgery in October of 2012 and really have been slow going (technically only 70 of my pounds lost are post sleeve, i'm feeling behind but accept that maybe i'll be slower and i can see where i misstep, so....). Anyway, i would love more friends that whether sleeved are not, are dedicated to the lifestyle changes that will keep us healthy forever. I definately falter, but am always getting back on the saddle. I have a hard time staying focused and really enjoy being able to come to MFP to remind me of what the heck i am doing; whether i'm behaving or not! Feel free to add me! PS - i stink at exercise, it's one of my main battles - to learn to move my body whether i like it or not!