New Here. Trying To Quit Smoking

Options
I have tried cutting cigarettes out of my life, so that I can actually have some motivation to push myself to exercise and lose weight, but to no avail. Any advice?

Replies

• vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's a double edged sword. I have gained 15 lbs since i quit, going from 120 to 135. I didnt even really try to quit, it just sort of happened. If you arent ready it wont happen.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I am losing some weight first - then I will quit smoking. I am finding that I am smoking less - just don't feel like smoking after exercise. I could not possibly do both at the same time - cudos to you!
  • lilmom1
    Options
    Smoke fee for 4 years... it was a killer! But worth letting go! I used the patches it helps, that and support from my old man.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I just joined this site like 20 minutes ago. lol I have found that when I do exercise, I have little to no cravings for nicotine. I also have some trouble because the weather has been crappy and I have two kids. I have on demand workouts, but when the kids go to bed, i have very little motivation to do any of that.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If you wanna quit but have no willpower (like i did) then I would recommend talking to your doctor about a prescription drug called "Champix" it worked for me (twice! hahaha I started again cause i "missed smoking") and this time i dont want a bar of them.... there is also another pill called Zyban which works tooo....

I know at least 4 people who have quit using Champix and a few who used Zyban! =):drinker:

BTW... yes i would prefer not to take drugs to quit things or even when im sick, i usually try to go herbal but I really didnt have the strength to do it... :embarassed:

If you get really moody:sad: and narky :explode: , speak to a naturopath re: St Johns wort! It works!! :love:
  • strangefire81
    strangefire81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 7 months ago and I feel really good about it (even though I have gained 7 lbs). I quit with a partner which worked well. We used exercise for stress relief (instead of smoking) and talked through cravings instead of ignoring them. That was more successful for me because I thought about smoking constantly (now I almost never do).
  • megsta21
    Options
    By the way... You used the wrong code for your signature...

Use the one called "BBcode" not the "HTML" one...
  • megsta21
    Options
    I quit smoking 7 months ago and I feel really good about it (even though I have gained 7 lbs). I quit with a partner which worked well. We used exercise for stress relief (instead of smoking) and talked through cravings instead of ignoring them. That was more successful for me because I thought about smoking constantly (now I almost never do).

Good work!!! :happy: It takes alot of guts and will....

My partner was a non smoker and all my friends were smokers... we used champix at the same time:flowerforyou: , now i rarely even think about them! :drinker:
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    2 things: get a prescription for Chantix and read everything on the website http://www.whyquit.org/

I quit cold turkey for 2 years just by reading the Why Quit website and Chantix is a life saver to help you get to the point where you want to quit. Good luck!!!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i stopped july 31 cold turkey, got the hcg diet and i was starving did not have time to think of food than i started to exercise so its help me out alot have not gained much weight now my minds focus on a good diet
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Several of my friends had horror stories about Chantix, so I used an electronic cigarette. Worked like a charm - I quit tobacco the day I got mine, and I've been smoke-free for 14 months. I love the range of flavors it provides, and you control the amount of nicotine in your eCig. Or none at all, if you want to wean off it entirely. You can find good starter kits online for around $50, and it's reuseable over and over. Avoid the mall kiosks and radio commercials - those are scams. Let me know if you'd like more info - there's lots out there on the web, and it can be pretty daunting to wade through it all. A good place to start is e cigarette forum. Google that and you'll find a forum similar to this one with lots of good (and unbiased) info. Good luck - it is SOOOO worth it!

PS - I'm not a vendor or anything, just someone whose life was saved - literally - by this product.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    UGH! My hubby is using an electronic cigarette. I tried it, and couldn't do it. It just wasn't the same. I am addicted to lighting the cigarette as well. lol Plus, I always had a film in my throat from the vapor. I am afraid of taking anything to quit smoking. I wish I had the will power. Maybe I should do it on my husband's days off, so I don't have to deal with the kids alone while I'm trying to quit. Thanks, ladies! I'll try my damndest to quit. I really need to. I used to run 3 miles a day when I was 16, before I got pregnant with my son. But, I have never had the motivation that I used to have.