Females Only! hunger during period?

Options

Replies

• leannmcclain
    Options
    Right now I'm having that issue as well and during this time I crave more junk than usual. After it I'm fine. To be perfectly honest during that I time I just give in and eat what I want because it won't go away otherwise :) Mind you I do not overeat and I try to exercise and I increase my water intake. I'm not too concerned about it because it is only a couple of days and I'm working around it. I mean why deprive yourself during that time?:laugh:
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I am actually the opposite. I will "binge" a day or two before ( not really binge but I will eat like double what I normally do) then I will eat very little during that time.. Ive even skipped days and didnt realize it.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I totally have a day - usually right at the start - where all control is lost. It's a good day for me to plan a "steak dinner" out and get over it. I've not found a way to get around it. I crave meat, specifically beef. So I just get it out of my system. Then afterwards, the next day I usually don't want to eat. I figure the next day balances it out some. And the the water weight that builds up (sometimes as much as 10 lbs on me) just before the cravings start - begins to flush out. So the next day is "never pass up a bathroom" day.

I guess I feed my inner PMS demon meat and steak to shut her up. The next day she's a withdrawn little mouse of an appetite.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

26083093.jpg

This ^^

LOVE THIS!!! thanks.
  • fitforlife34
    Options

Thank you for this! It helped, I just have to workout more when I eat more before my period.

I get hungrier a few days to a week beforehand. For me, it's almost always breads and cereals that I crave. I usually give in a bit, 200-300 calories but I also work out a bit more as well. You aren't alone but I suggest you exercise as much will power as possible since it was eating as we wished that got us to where we are now. It's a bummer that our bodies go through so many hormonal changes over the course of each month, presenting us with more emotional and physical hurdles than our male counterparts but it is what it is.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    yoghurt :)
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I came in here because it said Females only and every time i say something like this for men only i get a bunch of ladies that can't listen. So i am in here even though you said i could not. Ha ha ha....so there.

So... what do you crave when you're hormonal?

I thought it was either food women craved or three hefty spears protruding from the back's of all men.
  • fitforlife34
    Options
    my favourite things- if im' craving sweet things- i cut a banana in half stick an icepop stick in it dip it in dark low sugar or diabetic melted chocolate let it harden then dip it in yogurt and freeze it then sort of knaw on it like some mental pmt ridden dog with a bone.

i also sometimes will have a little bowl of a couple of spoons of honey to dip it in. its really satisfying and can do other things like rolling in coconute for a frozen chocolate coconut bar :)

- if its savoury im craving i get popocorn with chese flavouring sprinkled on it. i find its more about getting the hit of taste i'm craving then i can happily have some plain pasta or something with other calories to feel 'full' its sort of a mix and match to mangae it. i definatly have a day a months where i struggle to stop eating 24/7.

so long as you are mindfull and kep writing it down logic will help to manage it (but not the pms or scattiness unfortunately i've found - this month lost my keys and a necklace and my phone in one day:) ) good luck xx

GOOD IDEAS!!!!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Exercising can help you bank up room for some of that extra food and it actually also helps ease PMS pain! it's hard to get motivated to get out and do it when ur cramping but it really does help!
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I lied. gave in and ate chips. Now I'm gonna do this workout. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5COzZlxaI4
    I almost died when I read this post (after your previous one) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • AnDiallo
    AnDiallo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I generally let myself go to maintenance calories if I need to.
    I also don't weight myself because the water retention makes me gain about 3-5lb a month during my period. (It quickly dissipates later)
    I also try to exercise--> it kills two birds with one stone; eliminating cramps and burning calories.
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    A few days ago I noticed that I had an unusually strong craving for superfoods. So I loaded up on them and couldn't seem to get enough fruit. Low and behold, yesterday I woke up and was greeted by my monthly visitor. Ugh....yesterday was very painful physically and I did well with my diet but in the back of my mind I wanted chocolate ice cream so so bad. My daughter asked me to make her a bowl of ice cream so I did. The next thing I knew I made one for myself, topped it with chocolate syrup and peanut butter. Then I found a peanut butter oreo cookie and put more peanut butter on it and ate that. Lastly, a dark chocolate truffle covered in you guessed it PEANUT BUTTER. I regret nothing!!! Do I advocate that sort of eating all the time? Absolutely not. But I do understand it. Typically I only have one binge when I am on it. Today I have just wanted to cry all day:cry: . This is the part of being of woman that really sucks :grumble: . Dammit...we deserve chocolate and peanut butter :flowerforyou:
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    A few days ago I noticed that I had an unusually strong craving for superfoods. So I loaded up on them and couldn't seem to get enough fruit. Low and behold, yesterday I woke up and was greeted by my monthly visitor. Ugh....yesterday was very painful physically and I did well with my diet but in the back of my mind I wanted chocolate ice cream so so bad. My daughter asked me to make her a bowl of ice cream so I did. The next thing I knew I made one for myself, topped it with chocolate syrup and peanut butter. Then I found a peanut butter oreo cookie and put more peanut butter on it and ate that. Lastly, a dark chocolate truffle covered in you guessed it PEANUT BUTTER. I regret nothing!!! Do I advocate that sort of eating all the time? Absolutely not. But I do understand it. Typically I only have one binge when I am on it. Today I have just wanted to cry all day:cry: . This is the part of being of woman that really sucks :grumble: . Dammit...we deserve chocolate and peanut butter :flowerforyou:
    Peanut butter...drool. Don't need period excuses to overindulge :laugh:
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The week before my period I crave all food. I can easily out eat my husband during breakfast, lunch and dinner and I crave sweets like crazy :ohwell: it SUCKS.
    I can't give in though because when I do I have an off day, then two days, then three and you get where I am going with this. It holds me back, so I just have to eat my calories and get over it.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    I get hungrier a few days to a week beforehand. For me, it's almost always breads and cereals that I crave. I usually give in a bit, 200-300 calories but I also work out a bit more as well. You aren't alone but I suggest you exercise as much will power as possible since it was eating as we wished that got us to where we are now. It's a bummer that our bodies go through so many hormonal changes over the course of each month, presenting us with more emotional and physical hurdles than our male counterparts but it is what it is.

This^^^ I usually get the munchies in the week leading up to. It's very hard to put mind of matter and I have to often talk myself down as I work in the food industry and have junk on hand all the time at work. I have to talk myself out the door most days that week! Ne I get to my car I am safe
  • leannmcclain3887
    leannmcclain3887 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    omg do I understand how you feel! I've been doing great with watching what I eat and how I eat but man oh man a couple of days before and even during I get so hungry and very thirsty as well! I used to eat everything in sight which was not doing well for my BED! I keep track of my calories and try to find ways to satisfy my cravings and stay with in my goal I really am starting to look at serving sizes and if I want a piece of cheese cake or chocolate I eat it but I don't go overboard
    In between meals I chew gum and drink water it helps
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    holy *kitten* my night suddenly makes sense. Iv felt like crying and i want to eat everything in sight. Im betting ima get my period soon now that this made me think of it LOL.

Iv been craving a bagel for hours but my calories went out from under me early in the day i hadnt even realized.... Im proud i havent gave in but i might ....Its so intense >.<
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I get downright ravenous. All. The. Food. I find if I eat fattier foods during this time, I feel more satisfied. I hate my period so much.
  • LulaicaLoses
    LulaicaLoses Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Carbicide is the name of the game. I will say though that since I've been living with my fiance, it hasn't been as bad for me. For him, it's been horrible (he's an empathizer, and when I should be going through carbicide, he does instead and I don't get the cravings. It's insanely weird). He asked me a few days ago if we were coming up on my monthly visit because he wants nothing but carbs. He's almost as reliable as my calendar.
  • gabbyo23
    gabbyo23 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i had a hysterectomy in january and i STILL have PMS every month! I want to eat everything in sight. i try to drink extra water, and if i'm craving chocolate (which i usually am) i will drink a slim fast.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a slim fast asain't the same amount of calories roughly a1s a chocolate bar anyway? Wouldn't you rather have the chocolate?