lower belly fat

Options
I'm 5'2 and I weigh 106 pounds. I work out every day if not every other day, I watch what I eat and yes like any other person out there, I have my minor junk food slip ups however my lower belly fat just doesn't seem to go away. I've been running and trying my hardest to not give up but it's very very frustrating to wake up each morning and notice that persistent pudge on my lower belly. All I want to know is there a timeline as to when it'll diminish, or what I can do to further my progress? I run about 1 mile and a half, i'm always running around at work, and I walk pretty much everywhere. I don't know what to do and I feel helpless. Any advice out there? Thanks ya'll

Replies

• msfran1387
    msfran1387 Posts: 13
    Options
    Im with u on this one, only my lower belly fat is from giving birth. I'm trying everything to shift it but nothing is working?? Wondering if its just excess skin that is never going to go away :( Currently trying planking and sit -ups, kills me but im hoping this will work as nothing else seems too :/
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I weigh 106 pounds. I work out every day if not every other day, I watch what I eat and yes like any other person out there, I have my minor junk food slip ups however my lower belly fat just doesn't seem to go away. I've been running and trying my hardest to not give up but it's very very frustrating to wake up each morning and notice that persistent pudge on my lower belly. All I want to know is there a timeline as to when it'll diminish, or what I can do to further my progress? I run about 1 mile and a half, i'm always running around at work, and I walk pretty much everywhere. I don't know what to do and I feel helpless. Any advice out there? Thanks ya'll

Is that you in your profile pic? If it is, I do not see where the problem is...
    But to answer your question, there is no timeline for losing body fat. It decides when and where it wants to come off first and last. You cannot spot reduce, but once you lose body fat, the muscles will reveal themselves.
  • jimithegreek
    Options
    It's normally one of the last areas to go. You can't spot reduce - just keep moving, burning more calories than you take in, and lift weights if you can. Eventually, it will come off.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Otherwise, sometimes the 'lower belly pooch' can be posture or food intolerance related.
  • gnsshdz
    gnsshdz Posts: 4
    Options
    okay, so lifting weights seems to be part of the solution. I guess I will try to not only do cardio but get my noodle arms to do some weights. Being that I only run, what should I start with when it comes to lifting and what areas specifically? also I can barely carry a 24 pack of water lol I'm such a newbie when it comes to weights but thanks for all your comments. Very much appreciated :smile:
  • Reecebullet
    Reecebullet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Same thing's happening to me (although you don't look like you need to lose weight by your profile picture). I'm 5'10, was 210 pounds and now I'm 162 pounds. Although my stomachs gone down, it's still there. I've recently started lifting and doing more stomach based exercises, which'll hopefully do it.
  • gnsshdz
    Options
    You can't really tell by my picture but believe me, there's some some belly fat. It's not a lot but it's enough for me to wonder why I have it if I exercise and eat healthy. It's a problem area I've always had and I guess you could say I OBSESS over.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a challenging area. I've had three kids and it gets even harder after childbirth but it's not impossible. Strength training helps, and I'd also recommend mixing up your cardio routine as well. Do you ever sprint or do HIIT type cardio? That might help shake things up for your metabolism. Best wishes to you, and keep at it.
  • babams
    babams Posts: 15
    Options
    I call mine my "wine pudge".

I eat a relatively clean diet, but not willing to give up my one vice - wine! I don't drink bottles at a time, a glass or two with friends occasionally during the week at most.

I have been lifting weights for a good 6 months now and still have it. My trainer says high intensity cardio will do the trick. What does everyone else think?

Please - no comments about not drinking wine :o) I need it for my sanity.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    okay, so lifting weights seems to be part of the solution. I guess I will try to not only do cardio but get my noodle arms to do some weights. Being that I only run, what should I start with when it comes to lifting and what areas specifically? also I can barely carry a 24 pack of water lol I'm such a newbie when it comes to weights but thanks for all your comments. Very much appreciated :smile:
    Look up starting strength. You'll get some good newbie gains while losing fat, after that it gets a little tricky to get any bigger without eating more but it's definitely possible.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Here's a few helpful articles for you. I also had a few PMs asking me what I do for cardio so I'm including that for you as we'll.

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/8-benefits-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit

http://www.brinkzone.com/training-programs/hiit-training-are-you-really-doing-it/

I do 20 minute circuits of body weight exercises like push-ups (various types like pike and close grip), burpees, jumping squats, air jacks, high knees, mountain climbers, knee to elbow planks, etc. I do as many as I can for 30 seconds then rest for 15 seconds. It ends up taking about three sets if you have eight exercises to hit 20 minutes with a short warm-up. It's strength based for the most part but since you are really pushing yourself you keep your heart rate up.
  • dhimaan997
    Options
    you have to keep reducing bf there are no other solutions
  • gnsshdz
    Options
    thanks for all the tips! very much appreciated!