Why do frosted Pop-Tarts have the same cals as unfrosted?

Options

Replies

• Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I was totally wondering this myself the other day at target looking at the chocolate peanut butter pop tarts... I still want some of those. Macros are about the same too.
  • lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Did somebody say Peanut Butter Pop-Tarts... I stopped reading at that...
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

tumblr_inline_mfppqnDDEk1rzig0o.gif
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Diet Frosting
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Because unfrosted poptarts are an unholy abomination.

This is coming from someone who has obviously never had hot strawberry UNFROSTED pop tarts with butter smeared on top and a cold glass of milk on the side!

Give me a warm chocolate frosted peanut butter pop tart. . .. .topped with a Klondike bar.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Who wants an unfrosted pop-tart? Perverts, that's who.

WHAT!!!!!???? I don't like that fake frosting and even though I don't think I've had a Pop Tart in 20 years I'm going to buy them this weekend...,NO frosting :laugh: but I agree it makes no sense that the calories are the same
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

This is coming from someone who has obviously never had hot strawberry UNFROSTED pop tarts with butter smeared on top and a cold glass of milk on the side!

Nope. I eat my strawberries frosted, toasted, and dipped in chocolate milk. Hell yeah.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    My eyes must not see the unfrosted...i never noticed them.

i prefer frosted, but i will not turn down an un-frosted pop-tart.

regardless of frosting, I always ignore the crust on the edges. no dry crusty edges without filling for me.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Give me a warm chocolate frosted peanut butter pop tart. . .. .topped with a Klondike bar.

I haven't even toasted these yet. I can't wait that long to put them in my mouth! *considers buying Klondike bars*
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    They do taste tests to come up with the magic mix that people like best and we can blame Kellogg all we want, but people like a lot of sugar in each bite, whether it's on the inside or outside.

Huh? :huh: What in the world?
    Not sure what is confusing about that. The calories are about the same because if they aren't just as sweet without frosting, less people will buy them. They don't make treats fattening because they want to make people fat; they do it because more people will buy them. Let's face it; the healthier "light" versions are a niche product and don't taste as good to most people (myself included).
    EDIT - The frosted and unfrosted ones are different products BTW. They don't just make them the same way and leave the frosting off some of them.Is that the source of your confusion?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I was totally wondering this myself the other day at target looking at the chocolate peanut butter pop tarts... I still want some of those. Macros are about the same too.

You looked at them but didn't buy them??? Get back there and buy them this instant! :angry:

:flowerforyou:
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Because per FDA regulations, processed food's calorie count is allowed to be off by up to 20%. The frosting probably doesn't add more than that, so they can probably just use the same label.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Wizardry, pure and simple.
  • magerum
    Options
    Ya'll are doing it wrong.

1e5d25f4-0dbd-426e-9019-d360b129083f_zps9caf145c.jpg
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I had no idea unfrosted pop tarts even existed!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Oh!!! QFT!!!!!
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Because per FDA regulations, processed food's calorie count is allowed to be off by up to 20%. The frosting probably doesn't add more than that, so they can probably just use the same label.

Nice, good to know.
  • magerum
    Options

That regulation applies to ALL food, period.
  • lms1220
    lms1220 Posts: 60
    Options

OMG
  • 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Is the weight of the food exactly the same? I would imaging the frosted version is actually a slightly lighter product... that would be my guess anyway.

2nd guess would be the frosted version is different than the non frosted one. Meaning, maybe they put more sugar in the non-frosted version, but reduced that for the frosted one since it has frosting.

Just guesses... I have nothing to back me up.