Can't lose weight :(

Options
I went to the doctor today to discuss my weight problems. I am going to ween myself off of my antidepressant (it's only 10mg) to see if that's affecting it at all. I am also getting bloodwork done to see if I have any thyroid/metabolic problems. My doctor told me to cut out sugar, and I have a really bad sweet tooth. I'm drinking a sugar-free iced coffee right now, and it's delicious. However, is it really realistic to never eat sugar again? This is just so unfair. I just can't lose weight. I feel like I'm meant to be fat.

Replies

• Determined82
    Determined82 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising and counting your calories?
  • cassiegotto
    Options
    yes.
  • wayneharrington1
    Options
    The best kind of sugars for me are from fruit, processed sugars are not normally very good for you, natural sugars are.

Try eating a fruit salad, you can choose fruit to your taste, you can get sweeter apples and grapes.

A lot of canned drinks, processed food and tinned foods have extra sugar in them.
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! Don't give up! I thought I couldn't lose weight either, but I finally set my mind to it and with determination and hard work, it can be done!

What exactly is your doctor meaning by cutting all sugar from your diet? Does that include natural sugars such as in fruit? Is this a suggestion to help with your weight loss or is due to another physical problem? The more sugar you eat the more sugar your body craves, it is a never ending cycle. If you cut back for awhile, you may be able to get your cravings under control so that then you may be able to indulge once in awhile without craving it all the time, that is if the sole reason for cutting back sugar is to help jumpstart your weight loss.

Also, if you have not already, I would highly reccomend taking measurements. Being healthy/losing weight isn't only about the scale. Sometimes the scale may not move but you may lose inches instead.

Another thing, what is your daily calorie intake? Do you eat back your exercise calories back?
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    I went to the doctor today to discuss my weight problems. I am going to ween myself off of my antidepressant (it's only 10mg) to see if that's affecting it at all. I am also getting bloodwork done to see if I have any thyroid/metabolic problems. My doctor told me to cut out sugar, and I have a really bad sweet tooth. I'm drinking a sugar-free iced coffee right now, and it's delicious. However, is it really realistic to never eat sugar again? This is just so unfair. I just can't lose weight. I feel like I'm meant to be fat.

First of all, start moving your self. As in, start excersizing. Count, measure, weigh EVERYTHING that enters your mouth and start by at least walking an hour a day and then reevaluate.

Forgive me if I am wrong but it seems that you are looking for an easy/lazy to lose weight? If so, good luck to you. If I'm wrong, then you will lose weight
  • mgpryor37
    mgpryor37 Posts: 10
    Options
    If he/she hasn't already done so, make sure they check your vitamin d level as well. This was my problem. Every other test was normal but I was severely vitamin d deficient. It can mirror depression, make you fatigued and cause you to not be able to lose weight.
  • jasonchampion
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight after I came off my anti depress pills they had an odd side effect that made me eat more and reading the leaflet I learned the side effect was so effective the use it to treat anorexia or how it's spelt lol. With the sweet tooth thing I use half spoon sugar and I find it very good eating to much tastes fowl ofc like other bitter sweeteners but using a little tastes the same as the real thing also I drink diet Pepsi to get my sweet fix as it has a sweet taste but ofc no sugar but drink wisely unlike me that can go through a 2ltr bottles day:/ best of luck:)
  • missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Be careful dropping your antidepressant. Presumably it was given to you for a reason. Bupropropion (Wellbutrin) is an antidepressant not associated with weight gain, and Lamictal (lamotragine) treats bipolar without causing weight gain for most. Both are available as generics. Talk to your doctor before quitting!
  • jasonchampion
    Options
    Be careful dropping your antidepressant. Presumably it was given to you for a reason. Bupropropion (Wellbutrin) is an antidepressant not associated with weight gain, and Lamictal (lamotragine) treats bipolar without causing weight gain for most. Both are available as generics. Talk to your doctor before quitting!

Failed to mention it was my time to come off the meds was on for 2 years so deffo don't stop taking talk to the doc about a possible change
  • melsheep
    melsheep Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi my name is Mel I
    just wanted to share with you something my trainer said to me once "no suger no pasta no bread no pop" in that week I lost 4 pounds. Have not been able to do since I asked about sugar in fruit he said I could eat any kind of berry but not the others.

I am in the same boat not being able to loose weight I am a 59 year old stroke survivor which left me with a few disabilities that prevent me from being able to exercise like I should. I have a few sheep that need fed daily so I get a 30 min. walk daily to go out and feed the animals but still not loosing am watching calories but today I am 150 short. I usually end up on the short side by 100-300 but still not moving the scale I can not figure out how to get enough calories without eating junk. Any suggestions for this old lady?
  • Sparkie134
    Sparkie134 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I started my weight loss journey at 215 lbs. I am now 160 lbs. Im 5ft 5inches and I was a MAJOR sugar junky. Bad.

Last summer I bought the book called "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. It literally changed & saved my life. She discusses every food group in her book, and the best way to prepare it for your body. When I learned what processed sugar does to the inside of the human body, I took her recommendation and began eating only whole sugars (organic, raw honey, pure maple syrup, rapadura, etc).

I CANNOT get over the change it has done for my body, my mood, my mental clarity, and has eliminated my cravings. The cravings hit me hard again, only after I eat processed sugar, fake sugar, and pms week- which I can usually make it through with some sweets from the health food store made from honey, or home-made treats at home.

I strongly recommend the book to anyone. It is only $15 on Amazon and well worth it.

5 years ago I decided to get off of my anti-depressants. I was taking seroquel- a pretty heavy duty one. I asked a friend to pray with me every week, made sure I found a balance of peace in my life, and eased off very slowly. I succeeded and have not had to take any seroquel since 2008 Praise God!

Good luck to you on your journey!