it just keeps coming over and over again

Options
i just lost 47 lbs, and a friend of a friend i just met yesterday asked me...haven't you ever considered being on a diet to lose weight!!!
and she was sarcastic..i mean ,i know i'm still pretty much fat, but do i have to explain to everyone what i'm doing or eating!!! getting pretty annoying...what would you do if you were in my place,,, what would be your answer to her??
sorry guys , but this just happens to me alot :embarassed:

Replies

• manoozo
    manoozo Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    ????
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Someone actually said that to you? That's shocking! Don't know what I would have said. Sorry that happened!
  • _meesh_
    _meesh_ Posts: 73
    Options
    My first reaction would be to ask her "have you ever considered not being a *****" but I probably wouldn't actually say it.

My second thought, and probably what came out of my mouth would be more along the lines of " Excuse me?!" in a very disgusted tone and watch her backpedal as she realised what a wench she was being.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    why would this happen to you a lot? are you complaining about being overweight and they are offering solutions? Very rude in the American culture to make that type of comment without being prompted
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i just lost 47 lbs, and a friend of a friend i just met yesterday asked me...haven't you ever considered being on a diet to lose weight!!!
    and she was sarcastic..i mean ,i know i'm still pretty much fat, but do i have to explain to everyone what i'm doing or eating!!! getting pretty annoying...what would you do if you were in my place,,, what would be your answer to her??

you are trying to do whats best for you, and shouldn't have to explain that to anyone. I would have gotten my best know-it-all tone of voice ready and said something about lifestyle change, and diet systems being ineffective, blah blah blah, and suggest that the person try reading a little more about healthy ways to change your life and body before asking people questions like that
  • manoozo
    Options
    yes i am overweight...i've always been, but, and thank god now i know how to fix it ,an it's working....so why should i suffer from listen to people i don't know saying stuff like that an making comments about every single thing in my life!!!
    is there a polite way to just say " excuse me!! i can take care of myself an i don't need to listen to your starvation diet that a friend of a friend of a friend did and was as awful as me and lost weight!!!!!
    is there?!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

Just point at her with you pointing finger and say "pot....kettle" and walk off.

If somebody is that rude to you and so personal, you are under no obligation to stay there chatting to the person.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Personally, I might have fired back (and yes I am sarcastic.) - Do you ever think about keeping your mouth closed. After that comment, I think you have both your feet in it, and I wondering how many more might fit.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Do your best and forget the rest! (including stupid people around you).... They know nothing and saying stupid stuff like this explain they never will..... Don't waste energy there.....keep doing your things.... let them be fools.

Good luck
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    "I tried it once, but your mom likes me for who I am, so Im good."
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. You can explain if you want to or you can tell them to go pound sand.

You can't please people so don't worry about what they think about you. Folks on both sides of the weight loss spectrum deal with unwated input. First they give you unsolicited weight loss and exercise advice and then once you do get to goal they tell you that you look anorexic.

However, I would definitely give a well toned "Excuse me?" to that person. No need to be rude, especially to someone you don't know well, sarcastic or not. And man do I hate when people say "just kidding!" it's such a lame excuse for being rude and inappropriate.
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's been my experience that a lot of people will try and impede your progress. I don't know what the motivations are for this behavior. Perhaps it's the old "crabs in the bucket" analogy.

I would encourage you to reflect a positive attitude to the comments of other people, especially if they are being sarcastic. Tell them about how you are doing, what you changed about yourself diet/fitness wise, and that you like the journey you are on.

Because there is no greater revenge on people who would try and tear you down, than your resounding and sustained success.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    That's what she said... (to the title)
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I probably would have mentioned how much I had already lost and left it at that....the first time. If it was ever brought up again I would get upset . If a stranger or barely and aquaintence brought it up ,then yes I would be really rude back like asking them if they are calling me fat . If you say it really loud it really embarrasses people:)
  • manoozo
    Options
    thank you guys...that really helped :smile: