Home equipment

Options
I checked out a couple of local gyms today and found that I just can't afford the monthly fees. :(
I have a weight bench at home and several sets of dumbbells that I use, but I want to add some more home equipment. I can probably buy a couple of things soon, but not sure which would be most beneficial for firming up and weight maintenance. My thoughts go between an elliptical and another treadmill, but I know so little about the equipment that I am really in the dark as to what I need. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Replies

• angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have both an elliptical and a treadmill. I did the extensive research. Obviously youre like the rest of us with somewhat limited resources. I started out with a Weslo treadmill that died very fast. So you get what you pay for. Look at treadmilldoctor.com you can plug what you can afford and see what is rated the best. Right now I have a Pacemaster treadmill but the company went out of business. The elliptical I just bought and I have a Sole E35. I went mid-range with that one and I have to say when my planta faciatis and knees act up it is a life saver. I can still workout without the pounding from the treadmill. Good luck in your quest :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical machine, more interesting and better burn than a treadmill, it keeps track of cals burned, heart rate, has 6 different programs of varying length and difficulty. Hubby prefers the treadmill, so he says, though he uses it about twice a year for 5 minutes.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate the input!
  • rooby2sday
    rooby2sday Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also find gym fees to be too expensive for me to afford. However, a lot of gym equipment is still too expensive for me. Instead, I like to get videos where the instructor uses little to no equipment. I have Insanity from Beach Body that uses 0 equipment but there are less intense things out there. I also like yoga and pilates videos. Other than videos I run because it's free.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Save your money, do body weight exercises.
    You are your own gym YAYOG
    nerd fitness
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    You can get a mini trampoline / rebounder for under $50 and jumping on one of those for a half hour burns more calories than walking for a half hour does.

There's lots of different work outs you can do on a rebounder - there's a lot of you tube videos showing you how to get the most out of the workout on one.

I found my rebounder on Craig's List for $10.