Breakfast Dilemma

Options
I have just recently returned to MFP because of some sudden weight gain. I have been blaming this weight gain on medications that I have been on for the last few months, however I have had an eye opener today. For the last few days I have been calculating my caloric intake and realized the extent of damage I have been doing to myself.
I work as a housekeeper and have settled into a routine of two breakfasts' a day which has added up to 800-900 calories just in the morning. That is about half of my caloric intake a day. I know I cant keep eating like this so my question is, is it best to eat a full breakfast in the morning and maybe a snack later on, or a small something in the morning and a full breakfast a few hours later?

Replies

• nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Both are good options - which one works better for you? Are you usually hungry when you first wake up, or not until later?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    whichever one keeps your more satiated, provides enough energy and fits within your cal/macro goals for the day.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have just recently returned to MFP because of some sudden weight gain. I have been blaming this weight gain on medications that I have been on for the last few months, however I have had an eye opener today. For the last few days I have been calculating my caloric intake and realized the extent of damage I have been doing to myself.
    I work as a housekeeper and have settled into a routine of two breakfasts' a day which has added up to 800-900 calories just in the morning. That is about half of my caloric intake a day. I know I cant keep eating like this so my question is, is it best to eat a full breakfast in the morning and maybe a snack later on, or a small something in the morning and a full breakfast a few hours later?

I'm not a breakfast person, so I'd likely do a snack and a snack for breakfast, but you sound like a breakfast person, do you feel hungry earlier or later, eat the bigger meal when you typically feel more hungry. Then have a nice simple snack later if you need to... that way you should be at considerably less calories for the morning.

I'm logging mostly for accountability reasons long term, I have no intention of stopping logging once I hit my goal weight, accountability long term has always been my issue... not short term ability to lose.

Know thyself as they say :) Good luck, get back on the horse and get it resolved, good job catching it before it got too far out of hand!
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I eat a good sized breakfast and then have a small mid-morning snack to keep me until lunch. This is important to me because I'm hypoglycemic, but I also find it keeps me from munching too much.
  • VintageCurves
    Options
    Thanks guys:)
    Part of my goals, which include patients and consistency, is putting myself out there. Usually I delude myself in thinking I can do this by myself. This time I'm reaching out to people so I definitely appreciate the comments.
    As for breakfast, I guess I was afraid that if I don't eat early in the morning that my metabolism would run slow. I like eating later because there is more variety, healthy and unhealthy. That and if I eat earlier I get too caught up in work to stop and eat a snack. Maybe a small snack in the morning?
  • VintageCurves
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic too. My Chiropractor recommended Proglyco-SP. It's an herbal supplement that helps keep blood sugars stabilized throughout the day. It's helped wonders in my mood and not being so lethargic all the time.