Help with some running questions?

Options
redd_87
redd_87 Posts: 53 Member
I currently run about 4-5 days a week and I'm up to 3 miles per run, not counting the walks I take with my pooch. I, like most other women out there, have the troublesome belly area. I'm active at both of my jobs and I'm in relatively good shape, 5'4" @120 pounds, but I'd like to get this tummy under control. I know you can't "spot tone", but I also know that running is great for your core and I've seen slight improvement since I started running regularly again. Will incorporating ab exercises into my routine "speed" up my tummy toning? Or should I just wait it out with the running? I know I should probably be doing some lifting, but I always feel silly at the gym lifting weights, so the motivation there is slim to none, and I haven't quite gotten the courage to join the local crossfit gym by myself (although I've been a few times with my roomies)...
Also, if there's anyone that might be able to help me with some nutrition questions as well...?
I am on a 1200 calorie "plan", and I eat very healthy. On some days (especially the running days) I have trouble making it to the 1200 calorie mark. I've read that those not trying to lose large amounts of weight will only benefit from a smaller calorie deficit, like 250, rather than 500. Is that true?
I know that I really should be consulting a nutritionist and/or personal trainer, however that's not possible at the moment, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get some help here. Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Ab exercises will strengthen the core muscles, which can help with running form, but won't have any major impact on reducing your body fat. Stick with your deficit, and your running since you enjoy it. The closer you are to goal weight, the smaller your deficit should be. I stalled out for six months after dropping 90 lbs, and was able to restart the fat loss by reducing from 2 lbs/week loss to 1 lbs/week and upping exercise (and calories to compensate for the extra exercise). Lifting would be the best thing for you, given your goals. If you don't have the condifence to do it alone, maybe find a buddy? One of your roomies perhaps, who might enjoy lifting and burning fat as well? There's no reason to feel silly for lifting weights, but I understand that it can be a challenge to really believe. Having a friend there with you can help a lot.
  • redd_87
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I am technically at my goal weight, I'm really only trying to tone my mid section at this point. 3 years ago when I lost all my weight I made the mistake of dietingwith no exercising, so for the last year or so I've been working on toning, which is going great except for that. at this point, would the weight training do the trick? I would love to continue my running as well, but if I understand correctly, I would see far greater results if I added it? I do have people to go to Crossfit with ( my roommates) I've just been dragging as I will sometimes need to go alone, and that can be a little bit challenging for a girl in a room with mostly ripped men lol
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Compund lifts are going to be your friend. What a lot of people do (myself included) is switch between building muscle and burning fat (bulking and cutting, respectively). When you build additional muscle, it makes it easier to burn fat since your body requires more calories to maintain itself and it also creates better definition (toning) by reducing your body fat percentage and increasing muscle size. At a modest surplus, you can build a little bit of muscle, including in your core, with compound lifts (squats,deadlifts, lunges, cleans, etc.) since compound lifts engage multiple major muscle groups and require core engagement for stability. Once you've built some muscle, switch back to eating at a modest deficit and burn off some body fat. This will help your core muscles pop better and give you a little more muscle tone. Once you reach a level you're happy with, eat at maintenance and use the lifts to help retain muscle mass. Hope that helps.
  • lovelaughrun
    lovelaughrun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner too and also have a love/hate relationship with my belly as it's the one part of my body that is stubborn. You need to stick with the running for a while and give it a fair chance to show results (for me it was at least 3-4) months. I do some core but my trainer has told me while it's great to strengthen the core/lower back, unless you shift the belly fat you won't see abs. As I got closer to my goal weight I realised it was WHAT I was eating, not how many calories per day. I hardly eat grains (I use buckwheat, chickpeas etc) as they always swelled my tummy up but since cutting back on sugars, no dairy and limited fruit, I'm seeing more of my belly fat disappearing. Just stick with it, it unfortunately takes time and the right foods
  • redd_87
    Options
    I've already limited my grains and I limit my dairy to my greek yogurt for breakfast and I've switched to almond milk. I haven't heard about fruits being a culprit of swelling, and I eat quite a bit of fruit throughout the day as it's my go-to snack food. You mention limited fruit; what would be a "good" limit?
    PS thanks for the 3-4 month reference, I was curious about that too, although I know results will be different for everyone. It's also very nice to get a woman's input on this :)
  • MyPresent
    MyPresent Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is what I've heard too. Keep running and watching what you eat and your portions. Since you like running, try increasing your pace for a more intense workout, but I really think 3 miles per day is awesome and you should see results if you continue being careful with the foods you eat, and the quantity. I like to set up a goal to reduce 1 inch of waist size in a month, and trying to eat light at night has helped me achieve my goal (in combination to cardio, for at least 30 minutes). keep it up!
    my trainer has told me while it's great to strengthen the core/lower back, unless you shift the belly fat you won't see abs.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to tone your muscles as well as loose fat you should add in some strength training a couple of times a week.
  • lovelaughrun
    lovelaughrun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've already limited my grains and I limit my dairy to my greek yogurt for breakfast and I've switched to almond milk. I haven't heard about fruits being a culprit of swelling, and I eat quite a bit of fruit throughout the day as it's my go-to snack food. You mention limited fruit; what would be a "good" limit?
    PS thanks for the 3-4 month reference, I was curious about that too, although I know results will be different for everyone. It's also very nice to get a woman's input on this :)

I was at the point where the only dairy I was eating was greek yoghurt. Cut that out and tummy is flatter. Apples used to cause me to bloat like crazy and give me stomach pains. Now the only fruit I eat is bananas and blueberries. I'm sensitive to sugars so it worked for me. Coffee makes me bloat too. I just had to give some things up... I decided I didn't want to look 6 months pregnant over having a cup of coffee :smile: