Sleep is the best weight loss secret!

Options
Hi everyone!

I am a relatively inactive member on this website, since I do my calorie counting on Caloriecounter.com. I had gained about 30 lbs in the past 5 months and became approximately 145 lbs. I started my journey to drop them back on June 6 this year. Now after 7 weeks, I have dropped about 20 lbs and happily stand at 125 lbs. My ultimate weight goal is 115 lbs, but I would be completely happy to be around 120 and keep it there.

I did not do anything extraordinary. Instead of taking the bus, I started biking to school which adds 30 minutes of light workout to my day. Instead of stuffing my face with pizza and fries, which I love, I switched to using organic vegetables (raw and cooked), grass-fed beef, fish, organic chicken, organic low-fat diary, nuts and natural oils, fiber rich cereals. I had coffee and tea every day to get full energy and almost completely rejected artificial sweets like brownies, cakes and icecream. I also almost gave up on carbs, except potatoes, occasional crackers and flaxseed tortilla chips. Of course, I slipped a few times with hot dogs, cupcakes and whiskey when out with friends, which would immediately reflect on the scale, but I dusted myself off the next day and got back on track right away. On the next days, I would try to meet my calorie goal, but with mostly vegetables and fruits, instead of nuts and other things that takes longer to digest.

You might be wondering why I am taking the time to write this. Given that weight loss is a challenging journey, I thought I would share what worked the best for me. It is sleeping a lot! I weigh myself everyday while I am losing and noticed usually during the weekdays, I do not drop a single pound!!! Which of course would completely discourage me. But during the weekend, when I usually sleep 10-12 hours, the pounds would just melt off. Almost all my weight was dropped during the weekends. I occasionally played boxing with my friend and sweat my *kitten* off, but boxing, which is a rather intensive workout, did not even accomplish half of what sleeping did for me. It was a telling revelation, because obviously part of the reason for my weight gain to begin with was too much work and sleep deprivation.

I know most of us are mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters and cannot afford the luxury of sleeping a lot, but while on this journey try to do your best even if it is not every day! Supportive family members and friends can help you out a lot in this respect.

Just thought I would share my experience! Cheers to all the wonderful members out there who are on this journey! YOU CAN DO IT!

Replies

• charseekingchar
    Options
    Naps sometimes keep me from mindlessly snacking so I can see why sleeping would help me personally! haha
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i can't agree with you more... when i have to work at 5am..i dont go to bed till 12am or so.. its just what usually works for my family..99% of the time I dont have to be up until after 7..but i do have an occasional 5am shift.. on those days..i eat before i leave for work..and when I get to work..all I can think about is donuts...and candy bars.. and pastries.. i fight with myself..argue with myself and try to justify with myself to not eat them (99% of the time I dont do it..few slip ups) i dont know what it is...
  • allformebyAugust
    Options
    i can't agree with you more... when i have to work at 5am..i dont go to bed till 12am or so.. its just what usually works for my family..99% of the time I dont have to be up until after 7..but i do have an occasional 5am shift.. on those days..i eat before i leave for work..and when I get to work..all I can think about is donuts...and candy bars.. and pastries.. i fight with myself..argue with myself and try to justify with myself to not eat them (99% of the time I dont do it..few slip ups) i dont know what it is...

Do you work at a place with exposure to a lot of food? I know how hard that can be! But as long as we keep fighting, it will be fine. After a while, I think, our taste buds begin to change. Cheers to a day, when we would not want a donut or can have one without worries! Good luck!
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    yes I work in a store.. where krispy cremes are stocked fresh everyday and candy bars haunt me.. (I used to eat 2 king size candy bars a day sometime at work)..now when I stare at the donuts..or have a real bad craving I resort to a protein bar.. i always want to snack like chip wise..so I bring grapes or cherries to work so I can just POP them in my mouth..its hard..!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Fatigue messes with your hormones and can make your feel hunger even when you've had enough to eat.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Apparently a muscle-building secret, too.
  • allformebyAugust
    Options
    You are a hero for succeeding on this journey while literally facing donuts and candy bars every day!!!
    yes I work in a store.. where krispy cremes are stocked fresh everyday and candy bars haunt me.. (I used to eat 2 king size candy bars a day sometime at work)..now when I stare at the donuts..or have a real bad craving I resort to a protein bar.. i always want to snack like chip wise..so I bring grapes or cherries to work so I can just POP them in my mouth..its hard..!
  • allformebyAugust
    Options
    What do you mean? What other measures do you take to compensate for it?

The reason I ask is I will be switching to my old schedule and workload soon, now with the challange of maintaining my weight. I will have little time to sleep, so curious how you work it out.
    I wish I could sleep. I just don't sleep. Ever.
  • allformebyAugust
    Options
    Apparently! :)
    Apparently a muscle-building secret, too.
  • allformebyAugust
    Options
    Totally! I am going to switch to my old workload soon. I am worried and scared that I will fall off the wagon and gain the weight back...

HOw do you busy people manage work? My strategy has lately been just leave the work and go to bed, but nothing gets done, which is not good for my career...
    Fatigue messes with your hormones and can make your feel hunger even when you've had enough to eat.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have a theory (totally unsubstantiated and made up to suit myself) that when I'm tired my body craves high energy food in an effort to perk me up. So fatigue = my craving sugar and fats. So this makes sense to me.
  • allformebyAugust
    Options
    Your theory might not be scientifically proven, but practically spot on! ONly if the day had 48 hours, we would more easily stay in shape.
    I have a theory (totally unsubstantiated and made up to suit myself) that when I'm tired my body craves high energy food in an effort to perk me up. So fatigue = my craving sugar and fats. So this makes sense to me.
  • pinkdreams13
    pinkdreams13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Your are so right. I noticed that earlier this week. My husband has went to a different shift and I work overnight which means that I have to get used to a new sleeping schedule. I have a toddler and an infant so I can't take my eyes off of them at all. The first two days of this week I hadn't dropped any weight at all and my eating habits and workouts had not changed at all. But yesterday I got a lot of sleep and I woke up and weighed myself like I do everyday and the scale moved almost a full pound. So yes, getting a good amount of sleep work wonders for weight loss.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    A correlation between lack of sleep and weight loss

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/sleep-more-weigh-less

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-while-sleeping

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22402738

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-michael-j-breus/seep-weight-loss-and-appe_b_566378.html

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/sleep-and-obesity/

1st GOAL: 100kg (set on 6JUN13)
    14kg lost / 21.4 to go until next goal.
    The advice I give (only when asked) for weight loss is this:

* Watch what you eat, and track it by weighing and measuring until you're able to accurately estimate.
    * Get enough GOOD sleep.

If you're not doing those two successfully, it doesn't matter what else you do - you're going to fail.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Correct me if I'm wrong, but essentially most of the articles seem to say that sleeping less hinders weight loss because it makes you hungrier, so you eat more. But presumably most of us will only eat however many calories they're allowed a day, regardless of how hungry they are (certainly I eat my daily calories however I feel, and will eat the same foods no matter what I'm craving). So, if you control your diet, does sleep still noticeably affect weight? It says less sleep can affect your BMR, but focuses on the change in hormones that makes you hungrier.

Either way, very interesting articles, thanks for linking them!