Feeling like I have alot to live up to

Options
I have lost 29lbs as of today.. I have been really going off track this week. I feel like I have so much to live up to. Everyone has been noticing I have been loosing weight. I haven't told anyone i was trying (except my two younger kids) all I've had is customers at work tell me how awesome I look, "dont loose anymore weight you will be anorexic" "you are looking great" "how'd you do it" It feels GREAT to have people say that, but it also is alot of pressure.

I never have done well under pressure..I feel like if I'm under pressure, I'm going to screw up anyways, so why not just do it now. I sense this in me right now. The last week, I've had pizza two days, and cookies at night. In my head i'm thinking "well I'm going to gain all the weight back anyways, this isn't meant for me" I can't seem to have that "angel on your shoulder" its always just the devil whispering in my ear.

Is it just me? Or do others have this problem. I'm hoping I can get out of the funk and back on track. I'm scared and already so disappointed in myself, I can't get the mindset of "its okay, tomorrow is a brand new day, or pick it back up tomorrow" I seem to screw up the next day just the same. Ugh.. Maybe I need a shrink.. lol

Replies

• ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about anyone else noticing or being disappointed or happy or whatever. ONLY focus on you. You've done a great job losing weight so far, so just keep going! You already know you can do this. If you feel deprived, just eat. Eat the things you love and fit them into your daily goals. No guilt allowed.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have lost 29lbs as of today.. I have been really going off track this week. I feel like I have so much to live up to. Everyone has been noticing I have been loosing weight. I haven't told anyone i was trying (except my two younger kids) all I've had is customers at work tell me how awesome I look, "dont loose anymore weight you will be anorexic" "you are looking great" "how'd you do it" It feels GREAT to have people say that, but it also is alot of pressure.

I never have done well under pressure..I feel like if I'm under pressure, I'm going to screw up anyways, so why not just do it now. I sense this in me right now. The last week, I've had pizza two days, and cookies at night. In my head i'm thinking "well I'm going to gain all the weight back anyways, this isn't meant for me" I can't seem to have that "angel on your shoulder" its always just the devil whispering in my ear.

Is it just me? Or do others have this problem. I'm hoping I can get out of the funk and back on track. I'm scared and already so disappointed in myself, I can't get the mindset of "its okay, tomorrow is a brand new day, or pick it back up tomorrow" I seem to screw up the next day just the same. Ugh.. Maybe I need a shrink.. lol

the more you dwell on your diet and weight loss the quicker youre going to ruin it. have a plan, stick to it and forget about it.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    Don't punish yourself for "mistakes," we all make them. If you have something awful for dinner or lunch one day, don't throw away the whole day - pick up where you left off next meal. It's the little changes every day that add up to big success.

You don't "have" to put the weight back on if you don't choose to. The difference is between changing your lifestyle vs going on a diet. Diets usually fail, or you lose the weight and then put it back on, or worse - yoyo. If you're doing something you don't think you can make into a lifestyle, then it's time to take a step back and look at small, but impacting changes that you can keep up, like choosing to fill half of your plate with fruit and veg every time you sit down and eating that before anything else to fill yourself up on nutritious food and then use the other stuff as a side. That's a small thing that can easily become a habit, and soon you won't have to even think about it. After each change becomes a habit, you can add something else and over time, they'll accumulate.

Congratulations!! You've lost 29 pounds!! That's significant and a HUGE accomplishment. Take a moment to reward yourself for that and give yourself credit for accomplishing something quite difficult.

I find that when I start feeling like that, watching something like Supersize vs Superskinny or weight loss success videos (non advertizey ones) on youtube help me to go "Hey, that person's a lot bigger than I ever was and did it. They look great, and I want that for myself." I then find myself looking at info on what they did and looking at it through a filter of "is this something I could conceivably do long term?" and if it is, I put it on my list of things to try out if something fails, I need a change, I become stagnant or find that I cannot sustain something I've tried before.

You CAN do this. Just be realistic and honest with yourself, and when the negative thoughts come, let them, and then tell them "Ok, you lot have overstayed your welcome. I've got things to do, you need to be on your way" and keep on keeping on.

I believe that to a certain degree you make your own luck, so, good luck to you, and as a little blue fish likes to sing "just keep swimming!"