Any Gluten Free Peeps?

Options
I don't know why i wrote peeps, i think that is first time i have ever said that ha!

But yeah, any other gluten free people want to share diaries to help with ideas?

Replies

• sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Not sure if gluten is what bugs my stomach, but I stay away from breads, flours and most things that have gluten. Sourdough bread is the one I can tolerate, but I find it addictive and stay away from it too.
    I guess you could say I either eat food that you can hunt, or food that you can pull out of the ground.
    It's sad that most foods that are processed have food dyes, HFCS or other additives! :(
  • hockeymomchicago
    hockeymomchicago Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids, and both of my boys are gluten free/casein free/dye free. Although I'm not GF myself (I tried to do it for a few months, didn't work for me), I do this for them and have many recipes, ideas to share if you would like any.
  • janiner79
    janiner79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm gluten free because of my Crohns Disease... I don't have many recipes for substitution of gluten (like gluten free cakes, breads etc) because I find they are so over processed that it's not worth it.

My way of staying gluten free is just eating meat, veggies, fruits, rice, and fats.

I doubt that helps...
  • nerding4ever
    Options
    Gluten makes me both gassy and sluggish.
    Rice is my new best friend. I can pig out (when i can) on rice made foods while my friends eat pasta, and i can literally run
    circles around them at the mall.
    Gluten-less is my goal in life, its almost impossible $$ wise to be Gluten Free if your a broke *kitten* like me :D
    Add me (anyone) if you'd like loud support!
  • mandy623
    mandy623 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for 10 years. I would be glad to share recipes with you. What type of things are you looking for?
  • MrsOMG
    MrsOMG Posts: 84
    Options
    Thanks for replies, probably should have said I eat clean and try to avoid processed foods and I am not buying any gluten substitute weird foods!

Any advice on meal ideas really, I was almost veggie prior to this - having a lot of meat free days. Now I seem to just eat meat and steamed veg!
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have celiac and so I am completely gluten free, I don't buy the processed gluten free products, they don't agree with my stomach. Occasionally I have a meal containing gluten free pasta but that's once a month or less.

I'm also a vegetarian who doesn't consume milk dairy, so my diet is very clean, and the weight is melting off.

Despite the food restrictions, I still manage to put away 1800 calories a day! :happy:
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I don't know why i wrote peeps, i think that is first time i have ever said that ha!

But yeah, any other gluten free people want to share diaries to help with ideas?

Yeah, but because I'm on a ketogenic diet. I've always have stomach troubles, and they're still present unfortunately.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm diagnosed celiac and have bee GF since 2010.
  • stephaniekimballkor
    Options
    Hi!
    I've been gluten free for a little over two years. I follow a Primal diet, with lots of good fats, full fat, raw (when I can get it) dairy, and of course, meat, veg, and fruits. I have quite a large quanitity of good Paleo recipes (that's primal without that dairy) that I would be happy to share links for. Most of them I found on the web. I also recently purchased an amazing cookbook called Primal Cravings. It has Primal versions of a lot of the foods primal people miss, like granola, some muffins, condiments, pancakes, etc. Let me know what you're looking for and I will see if I can help :)
    Have a good one!
  • heaterseven
    heaterseven Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been Wheat Free for over a year and end up just doing GF. I don't have a ton of recipes, but I have been finding items in the store to help with my cravings... amazing waffles, pizza, microwave meals.
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm working with a naturopathic nutritionist now to narrow down which foods are causing my digestive issues. Gluten and lactose have been removed, and I am feeling almost normal again! Staple foods I eat are: *note* prepare for a lot of feta, cocoa, cinnamon and salsa...lol

quinoa mixed with salsa and topped with feta
    pumpkin with brown rice vegan protein powder, cinnamon and cocoa mixed in
    brown rice with salsa (feta again changes everything for the better)
    oatmeal with cinnamon and cocoa
    chicken breast with mustard (LOVE mustard)
    egg whites with mixed peppers and spinach (top with salsa and feta)
    tuna fish with cashews, mustard and hot sauce rolled up in romaine lettuce leaves
    Pure Fit protein bars (I use these only when mountain biking or hiking)
    corn tortillas with peanut butter or almond butter and cinnamon
    brown rice cakes with peanut butter or almond butter and cinnamon
    steak topped with...you guessed it, feta
    spinach salad with chicken, tuna or steak and every veggie under the sun...topped with salsa and feta
    sweet peppers and cucumbers are my side veggies in the summer because I can pack them easily
    Um....yep, that is basically what I eat every day. Hope it helps a little. Keep in mind, I work 10 hour shifts at a full time job and a second job on two of my three days off, have three kids, lift and mountain bike 6 days a week and am writing a book, so my my meals are quick, energizing and filling. Good luck!
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm working with a naturopathic nutritionist now to narrow down which foods are causing my digestive issues. Gluten and lactose have been removed, and I am feeling almost normal again! Staple foods I eat are: *note* prepare for a lot of feta, cocoa, cinnamon and salsa...lol

quinoa mixed with salsa and topped with feta
    pumpkin with brown rice vegan protein powder, cinnamon and cocoa mixed in
    brown rice with salsa (feta again changes everything for the better)
    oatmeal with cinnamon and cocoa
    chicken breast with mustard (LOVE mustard)
    egg whites with mixed peppers and spinach (top with salsa and feta)
    tuna fish with cashews, mustard and hot sauce rolled up in romaine lettuce leaves
    Pure Fit protein bars (I use these only when mountain biking or hiking)
    corn tortillas with peanut butter or almond butter and cinnamon
    brown rice cakes with peanut butter or almond butter and cinnamon
    steak topped with...you guessed it, feta
    spinach salad with chicken, tuna or steak and every veggie under the sun...topped with salsa and feta
    sweet peppers and cucumbers are my side veggies in the summer because I can pack them easily
    Um....yep, that is basically what I eat every day. Hope it helps a little. Keep in mind, I work 10 hour shifts at a full time job and a second job on two of my three days off, have three kids, lift and mountain bike 6 days a week and am writing a book, so my my meals are quick, energizing and filling. Good luck!

Oh...and sweet potatoes. How did I forget those! I eat them cold and just sprinkle massive amounts of cinnamon on them. To die for.
  • mandy623
    mandy623 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies, probably should have said I eat clean and try to avoid processed foods and I am not buying any gluten substitute weird foods!

Any advice on meal ideas really, I was almost veggie prior to this - having a lot of meat free days. Now I seem to just eat meat and steamed veg!

Don't think I would be much help I'm not sure what clean eating is.
  • lokidip
    lokidip Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm not coeliac, but I am allergic to wheat. So follow a completely wheat free diet which is similar to a gluten free diet (I can eat rye and barley, but can't eat any labelled gluten free products that contain wheat starch).

Have you been GF for long? Eggs are your friend if you're keen to keep your protein levels high without meat. :)
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Do you know, when I first read the title, I thought you meant like gluten-free marshmallow Peeps?