how to get 110g protein?

Options
Hi I'm Sarah, I'm lifting heavier again and looking to cut fat. I would like 100-110 grams of protein per day but I'm not sure how to get this. I have IBS so don't really eat many of the high protein foods. I can't have chicken, pork or canned fish and very rarely eat eggs. I am drinking 1-2 shakes per day, but at 25g protein each it is still only 50g. I eat red meat 1-2 times per week and have turkey maybe 1 time. How can I increase my protein without messing up my health and IBS?

Thank you in advance for all the answers and advice.

Replies

• ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    There are different types of protein powders which can offer more than 25g per serving. Look into a different protein powder that won't irritate your condition and I'm sure you can reach over 100 g.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Dairy products, especially greek yogurt. Beans & quinoa. Check out this list: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would think that increasing fiber would help IBS, so how about beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.? Combined with a whole grain, it makes a complete protein. Can you eat tofu? That's a bland and easy way to get protein, plus calcium and magnesium.

Is it the meat itself or the fat that triggers IBS issues? I would think that lean meat would be tolerated, as would canned fish in water. Perhaps you could check with your doctor about options.

On another level, IBS responds nicely to hypnotherapy, if you are open to trying it.
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted soy beans! They are high in fiber and a god snack that have some protein in them!
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My food diary is open if you want to take a look at what I eat (I skipped logging this past weekend though). I usually get 100+ grams of protein per day.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Meat(Not processed), yogert, eggs est!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    wild game, beef, turkey, nuts, dairy, legumes aka beans. if you continue to struggle with eating your protein, a protein shake will cut a big portion out of that 110
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Dairy products, especially greek yogurt. Beans & quinoa. Check out this list: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

According to that list you have to eat over 500 kcal worth of quinoa to get 20g of protein out of it so I wouldn't call it a decent source.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Like someone said previously, switch powders. I'm currently using usn gf1 which is 40g per serving, 2 of those and you're already up to 80g. Can you eat venison, fish etc?
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Can you eat tuna from a pouch instead of a can? Tuna has awesome protein and I like to add 2 pouches to a salad with some cottage cheese, thats about 46g protein, add some shredded cheese on top or some sliced almonds. Shrimp also has tons of protein and is not very high in calories when steamed.
  • FauxAngel13
    FauxAngel13 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Thanks! its a good list to start with!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    have a big steak

EDIT: thought you meant in one sitting
  • FauxAngel13
    Options
    I would think that increasing fiber would help IBS, so how about beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.? Combined with a whole grain, it makes a complete protein. Can you eat tofu? That's a bland and easy way to get protein, plus calcium and magnesium.

Is it the meat itself or the fat that triggers IBS issues? I would think that lean meat would be tolerated, as would canned fish in water. Perhaps you could check with your doctor about options.

On another level, IBS responds nicely to hypnotherapy, if you are open to trying it.

I have a reasonably high fiber diet and take a fiber supplement and that has helped a lot! I adore tofu as well as lentils chickpeas etc but unfortunately they are rather tricky to incorporate as I live at home and tofu especially are not allowed in the house (thanks dad)! I find meat can be a real challenge as I don't really like it? Not in the form of mince meat or sausages which is generally what form itt takes at home... I can manage usually 2-3 meat based meals per week but struggle beyond that, anything chicken or pork immediately make me very sick and bloated and I find processed fish impossible canned or smoked etc I can only have very fresh and unflavored! I am working with my gp to set up a management plan with a dietitian so hopefully that gets approved in the next few weeks and I can get some professional guidance! thank you for the thoughtful reply! :)
  • FauxAngel13
    Options
    Dry roasted soy beans! They are high in fiber and a god snack that have some protein in them!

Sounds good, I will need to track some down!!!
  • FauxAngel13
    Options
    Like someone said previously, switch powders. I'm currently using usn gf1 which is 40g per serving, 2 of those and you're already up to 80g. Can you eat venison, fish etc?

The ratio for the protein I am using is actually higher than that one... my serving size is 30g and I get 25.8g protein, so for the moment I feel I will stick with the NZ WPC I use. At the moment I am upping from one to two shakes per day so for 60g of powder I will get just under 52g protein. :-) I can and do eat fish, venison isnt easily available where I live unfortunately.
  • FauxAngel13
    Options
    Can you eat tuna from a pouch instead of a can? Tuna has awesome protein and I like to add 2 pouches to a salad with some cottage cheese, thats about 46g protein, add some shredded cheese on top or some sliced almonds. Shrimp also has tons of protein and is not very high in calories when steamed.

Unfortunately I just cannot handle processed fish at all. I do eat fresh raw fish or grilled fresh fish. I struggle with dairy, I manage yogurt but not cheese very often :( which is a shame as I really love it.
  • FauxAngel13
    Options
    have a big steak

EDIT: thought you meant in one sitting

hahahah :-) yeah not a huge steak eater anyway but yes I know its good protein, thanks