Anyone just eat well without exercise lose weight?

Options
Does just counting calories work without exercising?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Sure does. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. If weight loss only is your goal then sticking to your budget works just fine.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yes you will loose weight. Diet is the key to weightloss. But you won't look and feel the way you want to. You will probably attribute it to needing to loose more weight, when you are at healthy weight but dont like what you look like naked.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was able to lose without exercising before, but I HATED my midsection because it was so flabby. When I started exercising and tightening that area, I began to love my body again. So yes it is possible to lose weight without exercising!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    "A smaller marshmallow is still a marshmallow"

Weight loss and fat loss are two very different things.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The first 40lbs I lost was only through changes to what I ate. However your body doesn't look any better. Just a small version of it .
  • bdbjswbrb
    bdbjswbrb Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes. Fitness is not my most difficult issue, I've always been quite active. Getting my calories under control is what works for me. You can't outrun Big Mac's.
  • seawolf86
    seawolf86 Posts: 55
    Options
    Yes it's possible and that's how I lost 70 lbs originally but I wasn't happy with the way I looked and I gained weight back easily. Now with steady exercise and having more muscle I look thinner than I ever have and whileIstill count and watch what I eat, I am not afraid to indulge once in a while because I know my muscle and exercise will help me keep the weight off.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    One time when I reached my goal weight.. i was shocked that I did it all through diet. and the nasty truth is it seemed to go quicker than when I would diet and exercised both. Yet, I gained it all back; i didn't weigh myself durning maintenance, and I was so deprived on the diet I ate like crazy.

However..this final and last time losing my weight.. I am counting calories.. I have my daily amount set to a higher (1600) amount than I ever would have before.. AND.. i exercise and eat back those calories too.

I am losing slow and steady.. but eating so much more than I usually do on a diet..and enjoying life.
  • TheRainQueen
    TheRainQueen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I lost 45 lbs in 3 months, just by strict calorie counting alone (1200-1500 calories per day). During that period of time, I wasn't able to work out. Now I work out every day and upped my calories a bit and the weight loss is still happening.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yes usually more so when you have more to lose, but it looks like with only 7 lbs to lose you might need some exercise as those last 10 lbs are a bugger
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sure! However, exercise isn't just about losing weight, it's about getting fit and improving your health. I think it's especially vital for women to make sure we're regularly active as impact exercises (walking, running) and strength training help us to retain muscle mass and retain/increase bone mass as we age. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be one of those frail old ladies in a Rascal scooter, I want to be one of those 85 year old broads still running in 5k races!

ETA: The weight on the scale isn't everything. One of my best friends is the fittest woman I know and she's in the 150's but still able to wear a size 8! Meanwhile my mother is around 130 pounds and wears size 8 on a good day.

Also, this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    Options
    I lost 125 lbs over the last year with out any exercise. I simply cut my calories, try to get most of my calories from veggies/fruit (only eat meat 1-2 times a week) and quit drinking alcohol (ok i didnt quit but i drink far less than I use to).