Not Enough Calories

Options
Hello everyone,

I just read the blog "Losing Weight without Exercising." Here is my dilemma. I don't eat enough calories. I don't feel hungry so I don't eat. I have trained my stomach not to be hungry by eating only when it is physically hungry. But I don't binge eat either. If you look at my food diary you can see how I eat. I eat healthy (most days) and I walk a bit in the morning, around work and the early afternoon or when I go out to handle business (errands and such). Have a pedometer on my phone so I take my phone everywhere with me to count my steps.

I'm all that big on working out, because well, I'm lazy. Ididn't use to be, but in my older age, I've grown to be so. But I walk not fast, not more than a mile and not while it's hot outside. So I'm not burning lots of calories. But like I said, I don't take in a lot of calories a day either. I burn about a quarter of them walking in the morning and afternoon when I take my dog for his walks. The other bad thing is, I have an XBox 360 with Kinect. I have several "games" that get me moving. But I moved from a REALLY huge house to a tiny condo and now I have no room to move with or without my furniture. I feel really bad about that part.

There is a gym in the condos I live in but the lights and fans are on sensors and they don't stay on more than 5 mins if you're not actively walking on the floor. So I can't use the bike or eliptical or treadmill (which I hate). Because it's currently triple digit heat where I live and trying to do any of that stuff in a sweat box is not thinkable. The pool is full of people all the time and not big enough to do laps not even a 1/4 lap. A gym membership is out of the question because well they are expensive and I'm really unconfortable getting on the machines and the 95 year old gets on next to me and starts running at a full sprint. Personal trainers are over rated and even more expensive than a gym membership.

So my questions are:

1. What do I do about my caloric intake? I don't want to eat more as I'm already feeling like I overeat.
2. Exercise? I have no one to walk with really. My daughter is never home anymore (Summer). She was my workout buddy.

I know, I sound like I'm whining...I kind of am lol...sorry. Just tired of being the fluffy girl and want to get back my stripper body (@ 40) lol.

Nika

Replies

• 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you look at my food diary you can see how I eat.

Need to make your diary public.

You can eat caloric-dense foods like avacodos, nuts, dressings, etc. You can also cook with oils (specifically coconut/olive oil) for extra calories. Eating fatty meat helps too... so certain fish and pork helps if you're not a fan of red meat.

Making protein shakes also help. I can get near 700 calories in just one shake using the powder, bananas, almonds, and flax seed oil.

The most important thing to think about when seeking extra calories is to get it from non-sugar and non-starch filled food, as quite a few foods in that general category don't have the nutrition to back up the calories.
  • KelleyGirl74
    KelleyGirl74 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Need to make your diary public.

Did it. Sorry thought it was an automatic thing...but I'm new so I get a few flarbles before you can talk about me behind my back...lol j/k.

Okay, so have a look now :D

When I cook I use EVOO or just EVO.

I home make my shake/smoothies in the morning with Jillian Michaels Whey Protein Vanilla Shake Powder. I don't make super huge, ginormous shakes/smoothies. I make a Vente sized in my Starbuck's reusable cup. Not a huge banana fan anymore, but I'll get some and put them in my shakes, I usually only use, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, mangos and peaches. I'll get the nuts and flax seed oil to add to it as well. I didn't know that.

Meats...hmmm...I don't eat red meat, I only eat chicken and turkey and bacon sometimes. I'm a white meat girl but on occasion I enjoy a fried leg and/or thigh...ooooh the flavor. I don't think chicken breast come in a fatty cut. (Being funny). Only other veggie I eat outside of romaine lettuce is broccoli. I eat mixed greens as well, but not often...they are for holidays really.

Thanks Ohms for your input on this. I really appreciate it.

Nika
  • KelleyGirl74
    Options
    Bump?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    A lot of your post is full of excuses for not exercising. Stop making excuses and do it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    A lot of your posts is full of excuses for not exercising. Stop making excuses and do it.

Voila! Problem solved.
  • colspeach
    colspeach Posts: 1
    Options
    exercise - try stationary exercises like yoga, situps, pushups, jumping jacks, jump rope that don't need a lot of space. I've started back doing exercises from my childhood and you wouldn't believe that those simple exercises work your whole body. for x-box you can get, ufc trainer or dance central. you are dancing but you don't need a whole lot of space to do it.
  • Mothercruncher
    Options
    I have the same problem.

I have four kids and I work part time so I would forget to eat. My average intake (I tracked it when I began) was usually under 700 calories and I should be getting at least 1700 (Plus I'm a nursing mother). My weight all came from not eating and not getting enough exercise..basically, I killed my metabolism.
    It was so hard to make myself eat and I felt stuffed all the time. The only way I can get my calories in was to learn to snack frequently. I add a little coconut oil to my meals and always, always eat a good breakfast. I don't eat much red meat either, but I do eat quite a bit of chicken, turkey, fish, and eggs. Duck eggs are a great source of extra protein and good fats if you can get them. Greek yogurt, granola with fruit, oatmeal, and avocado are things I've tried to include more in my diet to up my intake.

It took me weeks to finally get up to 1200 calories a day (which is my minimum) without feeling like I was going to explode. Baby steps. Start by trying to eat something every two hours..even if it's just a handful of grapes or a couple bites of whole wheat toast. You'll start getting used to after awhile and then you'll find yourself needing to eat. It won't happen overnight. Changes like this take time.

As for exercise, in the winter months I go shopping and make laps around the store before I do any actual shopping. I can get thirty minutes of walking in easily without freezing. I can't afford a gym membership either, so we make do with what we have. Our mall has a "walking track" which is just a line that people can follow and they don't say anything about people walking too fast. I bought an exercise bike/elliptical combo off of craigslist last year for a very reasonable price and it doesn't take up too much space. (It was 25 dollars, works great, except the display doesn't always read right). During the hot months I walk in the early morning (usually on my way to and from work) before the heat kicks in. It's taken months but I'm finally able to get in some jogging, too.

Good luck!
  • khannickwechanged
    khannickwechanged Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    A lot of your post is full of excuses for not exercising. Stop making excuses and do it.

This.

Good things come not to those who wait for them, but for those that work their *kitten* off for them. To stay healthy I get up at 4:30 every morning to fit in workouts with a full-time job and a 6 month old baby. Make the time and the effort, and you will get the results you're looking for. :)
  • KelleyGirl74
    Options
    Thanks. No excuses really but thanks. Not everyone is rich, or live in neighborhoods where they can go out at 3am and run with their neighbors. But I'll do what I can.
  • KelleyGirl74
    Options
    I thought about getting a stationary machine, but I have nowhere to put one. Sleeping on my roommate's sofa so kind of not possible. I do what I can when I can. I got my calories up so that's a good thing. I pretty much eat the same thing everyday. It's just me, but on a VERY limited income. With the heat here in Vegas, it makes me ill most nights. The coolest we get in the morning is 89 right now. But I walk my dog every morning. Today was 111, 115 in the shade. But I walked my dog after the sun went down even though it was still 108. But I did it. Thank so much for you kind words. I'm trying. It's really hard but I'm trying. I think at this point the exercise is going to be my only issue. October is coming fast so I'll get out more then.

I have the same problem.

I have four kids and I work part time so I would forget to eat. My average intake (I tracked it when I began) was usually under 700 calories and I should be getting at least 1700 (Plus I'm a nursing mother). My weight all came from not eating and not getting enough exercise..basically, I killed my metabolism.
    It was so hard to make myself eat and I felt stuffed all the time. The only way I can get my calories in was to learn to snack frequently. I add a little coconut oil to my meals and always, always eat a good breakfast. I don't eat much red meat either, but I do eat quite a bit of chicken, turkey, fish, and eggs. Duck eggs are a great source of extra protein and good fats if you can get them. Greek yogurt, granola with fruit, oatmeal, and avocado are things I've tried to include more in my diet to up my intake.

It took me weeks to finally get up to 1200 calories a day (which is my minimum) without feeling like I was going to explode. Baby steps. Start by trying to eat something every two hours..even if it's just a handful of grapes or a couple bites of whole wheat toast. You'll start getting used to after awhile and then you'll find yourself needing to eat. It won't happen overnight. Changes like this take time.

As for exercise, in the winter months I go shopping and make laps around the store before I do any actual shopping. I can get thirty minutes of walking in easily without freezing. I can't afford a gym membership either, so we make do with what we have. Our mall has a "walking track" which is just a line that people can follow and they don't say anything about people walking too fast. I bought an exercise bike/elliptical combo off of craigslist last year for a very reasonable price and it doesn't take up too much space. (It was 25 dollars, works great, except the display doesn't always read right). During the hot months I walk in the early morning (usually on my way to and from work) before the heat kicks in. It's taken months but I'm finally able to get in some jogging, too.

Good luck!
  • KelleyGirl74
    Options
    Xbox, very true but you have to be in range for the visual of the kinect. I've tried and it doesn't register most of what I do. I'm on a wall and bumping into it. Less than 6 feet from kinect and wall. But I do others like yoga carefully... carpal tunnel...no excusing...just saying. Can't do pushups at all same reason no strength in wrists to support weight. Crunches with ball...love yoga booty ballet so do that. Gyms are so out of the question...no excuse...no money...not rich...or well off. UFC and Dance Central need space..don't have it do play either need at least 6 feet from kinect again. But doing what I can. Thank you so much for you input. Very much appreciated. Again, stating facts, not making excuses.
    exercise - try stationary exercises like yoga, situps, pushups, jumping jacks, jump rope that don't need a lot of space. I've started back doing exercises from my childhood and you wouldn't believe that those simple exercises work your whole body. for x-box you can get, ufc trainer or dance central. you are dancing but you don't need a whole lot of space to do it.