I must be stupid. Teach me how to...

Options
2»

Replies

• RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    There is no need to use salt in the water, the amount of salt to get to the egg is non existent without over cooking the egg and the, salt adds such a tiny difference to the boiling point as to make it not worth considering. If anything its simply a myth.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Oh my geez! Am I the only one that thought "how to Dougie" when I read that title?!?!

:laugh: :laugh: I totally did!

This video shows a neat way to peel eggs...without actually peeling. Note: this is probably only if you are making eggs for yourself...Id be grossed out if someone making eggs for me used this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-8MvGYRPc
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    To peel them... you have to cool the egg after cooking it.
    the reason is when the egg is warm is it 'swollen' and it is stuck to the peel, when you cool it it 'deflates' and detaches itself from the outer shell!!

Put it in cold water with some ice cubes and when the egg is cool to the touch, that is when you can go ahead and peel it :D
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I HATE PEELING EGGS! But: If they get all chopped up in egg salad, mayonnaise or whatnot, why bother with the pain of peeling? I just chop the top off and use a spoon to scoop the boiled goodness onto a chopping board and get on with it :-)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The thing that works best for me is to cool those eggs down very fast, so I put ice into mine and I run the cold water until they are cool to touch. What I've discovered is that when you cool them down fast it creates condensation between the shell and that skin thing. That seems to make peeling easier. Older hard boiled eggs are harder to peel because they "dry" out. If that doesnt work peel under cold running water.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm disappointed that you didn't want us to teach you how to Dougie.

BreezyDougie.gif

I put my eggs in a pot and cover them with cold water. Put on the stove on medium until water boils. Cover pot, remove from heat, and let sit for 15 minutes. Then plunge eggs in icewater.
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh my geez! Am I the only one that thought "how to Dougie" when I read that title?!?!

:laugh: :laugh: I totally did!

This video shows a neat way to peel eggs...without actually peeling. Note: this is probably only if you are making eggs for yourself...Id be grossed out if someone making eggs for me used this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-8MvGYRPc

Yay! I'm glad someone did :)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Also, do NOT tap the egg multiple times to make many little cracks, and do not roll the egg along the counter to make millions of tiny cracks. Lots of people do this, but it just makes it harder. Would you rather pull of a few large pieces of shell, or pull of a zillion miniscule pieces?
  • martig17
    martig17 Posts: 1
    Options
    I use eggs that are at least 2-3 weeks in my fridge. I cover them with water. Put them on Medium heat and set timer for 15 minutes.
    I add cold water to them when the timer goes off. I store in rubbermaid or pyrex containers- they peel great!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I thought I was going to get to tell you something waaaayyyy different.

As for eggs, I have no idea
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Let them sit in cold water for 10 minutes before peeling.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    lol, sorry to disappoint the How To Dougie crowd :)

Thanks to all for your tips. I bought a new carton of eggs yesterday and I'm going to give it another shot, but probably not till the weekend when I have some time to spend!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I cheat and use an Eierkocher (egg cooker). I get fresh eggs then hold them to the side until they are about 2-3 weeks old, pierce the smaller end, place eggs in cooker and add water so it can do its magic. As soon as it buzzes, the pan of eggs are plunged into ice water. All of the eggs peel like a dream and are the perfect doneness for me.
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    try this works every time
    put only enough water to cover the eggs do not put a cover on pot,set your timer for 15 minutes(don't wait for them to start boiling before you time them)rinse in cole water. eggs will peel easy !!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    lol, sorry to disappoint the How To Dougie crowd :)

Thanks to all for your tips. I bought a new carton of eggs yesterday and I'm going to give it another shot, but probably not till the weekend when I have some time to spend!

let us know how it goes
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Of course, if we are talking egg salad, why not make life easier and just poach the eggs? They are going to be mashed up anyway and will be indistinguishable from boiled.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Try everything and then just `get comfy with the idea that some eggs just may not want to give up their shells without being torn to shreds. Many's the time I, or my mother, or my sister, have boiled a bunch of eggs at a time. Each time, some eggs would peel easily, others wouldn't, no matter what method we used to boil them. Now, this may just be a family trait that we can't overcome. :huh:
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    How my Tutu (Grandmother) taught me:

1. Put the eggs in a pot (gently).
    2. Add Hot Water.
    3. Place egg filled pot on burners on high heat.
    4. Once they are at a rolling boil, cover, turn off heat and forget.

Works every time.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Peeling? You have to make the shell separate from the egg itself before you even attempt to peel it. Have a bowl of very cold water ready when the eggs are just about done. Use a slotted spoon to lift the eggs out of the hot water and transfer them immediately to the cold water. Or use a strainer. The shell will contract from the sudden temperature change, and will pull itself away from the egg. Then, you can almost pull the shell off in one piece.

I use ice water too. I put the eggs in the pan and cover with water. bring water to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cover pan, leave covered for 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to lower eggs into ice water.