Low calorie - filling snacks requests

Options
chasetwins
chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
Hey everyone -

School will be approaching soon and I am trying to keep an eye on my 8 yr old's calorie consumption and activity. Sadly I believe genes are not playing in her favor. She is a twin and her sister is a string bean and she is well..over weight. It seems to be getting worse rather than better. Before anyone jumps on me lol...please know I am not technically putting her on any restrictive diet but rather being very conscious of what she consumes on a daily basis. She is well aware of her father and I in our journey and has even started reading food labels herself asking me questions. Not in a obsessive way..more of a curious "would I eat this and if not why" type of way. My 19 yr old struggled with her weight a little bit but she was a little easier to teach since she had more options. My 8 yr old can NOT have artificial sugar or low fat milk. Artificial sugar is in more things than you could ever imagine!!! Under several different names. For 5 years so far I have had to read labels and look up unfamiliar names to see what it is.
For dinners the girls eat what my husband and I eat (just smaller portions), same will be for after dinner snack. Previously they had what they wanted..this week I started giving them what we are having for snack (so long as she can have it).
She drinks tons of water and her juice is only 40 calories when she has that..so juice (as her Dr would attack) is not the issue.
I think school lunches and her previous snacks (my fault!) are the culprit along with the fact schools only have gym once per week and only one 20 minute recess per day. We started walking as family, connected the Xbox in their room with ONLY get up and move games and also purchased a basketball hoop and volley ball set. I have also introduced them to kids dance / workout dvd's :) (they LOVE those since it is just like Mommy's!) None of us have had fast food (other than subway) for about 5 months now unless of course another family member takes them :( Take out / delivery has been non existent for several months.

My dilemma will be - school snacks and lunches. I am reaching out to you guys hopefully for some help :) Recipes and or ideas that are lunch box friendly without artificial sugars. Preferably low calorie but filling for her but most importantly kid friendly :) ~
Sandwiches and salads get boring as do apples with PB. You can only have a piece of fruit for snack so many times. She does not like hummus type things. - however loves her vegetables and fruits. (only dislikes carrots) She can not have yogurt since it is basically low fat milk :( (and usually added sugar..artificial or real)

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Those little rice cakes come in lots of flavors. "Little" rice cakes are crispy all the way through.... the big ones are not nearly as good.

Air popped popcorn .... you could make a trail mix of sorts with a few raisins, nuts, or pretzels.
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt. The protein keeps me full longer and the Light and Fit stuff is only 80 cals a serving. I also like string cheese.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    There are several 100 calorie greek yogurts.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt. The protein keeps me full longer and the Light and Fit stuff is only 80 cals a serving. I also like string cheese.

Um.....no milk .... no artificial sweetener requested
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Has her thyroid been checked? I ask because it sounds like your child eats like the rest of the family, but gains weight more easily. It's a cheap, easy blood test. It's also extremely important for growing children to have normal thyroid levels.

Full fat yogurt exists, is delicious, and makes a filling, though not low calorie snack.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    Has her thyroid been checked? I ask because it sounds like your child eats like the rest of the family, but gains weight more easily. It's a cheap, easy blood test. It's also extremely important for growing children to have normal thyroid levels.

Full fat yogurt exists, is delicious, and makes a filling, though not low calorie snack.

No it hasn't, I guess I nor her doctor ever thought of it :/ Thank you for the suggestion and no doubt something I will bring up to her doctor! I guess in my mind that is an "adult" thing. She eats exactly what we all have...more so the same thing her twin does. In fact...less than her twin most of the time and more water than her twin ?!?! SMH this is what boggles me so much. When she was smaller ((3-4) I did have an issue with her over eating her dinner / lunch. I had to teach her to know when she was full and that her plate did not have to be empty to be done. Took several months but now she no doubt stops when she is full. Next task for both kids...SLOW down LOL No need to gobble the plate in 5 seconds! (this happens with every favorite dinner) I blame their Dad for this one haha...I am always the last to finish he is always first. Not even sure he tastes his food. I blame him - he blames the Army...blame game circle. :/

Do you happen to know the brand of the full fat - while not low calorie I could use half a serving for a fruit dip or something :) Or even use that in recipes that call for yogurt.

Thank you everyone!!! Making a list to refer to :)
  • colleen4429
    colleen4429 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I commend you for helping your daughter to make HEALTHY choices, especially by embracing those choices yourself. We gave up the school's hot lunches last year...they were highly processed, expensive, and not very filling. My kids would much rather bring cold lunches. We would talk about lunches each week and decide on a menu. We rotated between "wraps" with tortillas/flat bread and deli meats/cheeses., PB&J using jelly and natural pb, and whole wheat bread, and leftovers (we plan homemade healthy pizza for dinner on Sunday and made enough for leftovers). They always took at least 1 fruit and vegetable, and instead of chips we usually had some type of non-colored cracker, etc. They've acquired a taste for nuts so that has become a snack, too. Using snack size bags helped to control portions on smaller items. Since I wasn't spending so much on hot lunches, I would spurge occasionally and get something unusual for their lunches...like yogurt covered raisins or real mozarella bites. Oh and we invested in a set of reuseable containers (from Glad/Ziplock) which came with 4 containers/lids plus an ice block. We used those nearly every school day. Good luck and share what works for you!
  • quarkenstein
    quarkenstein Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've really been enjoying the cookbook Lunch Box Solutions lately...and I don't even have kids, I'm just a busy college student! Great recipes for wraps, and it fits into a busy lifestyle. A lot of recipes for lunch are leftovers from the nights before 'repackaged' in a new way, or recipes that can hold out in the fridge/freezer for several days. Makes it easy to prep beforehand and not have to think too hard, and avoid those nasty school lunches!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Some of the granola or breakfast bars? I know the sugar content can be higher but maybe find a site where you can make and modify your own?

I have to commend you on your efforts to make every attempt to help your child avoid the problems (physical, psychological and social) of being overweight. Even more importantly it sounds like you're doing it in a sensible, loving manner without making her overly sensitive about weight or making her "paranoid". You and your husband are setting a great example with your own diet, getting family active, and looking out for the welfare of all your children, as parent's should do! Good luck in your efforts.

I agree about checking thyroid...worth doing.
  • Taylor0212
    Taylor0212 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    1. Whole grain crackers with cheese (only ONE serving)
    2. Veggies
    3. Nuts (if her school allows them)
    4. Healthy granola/protein bars
    5. Lettuce wraps with turkey, light cream cheese and olives
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

No it hasn't, I guess I nor her doctor ever thought of it :/ Thank you for the suggestion and no doubt something I will bring up to her doctor! I guess in my mind that is an "adult" thing. She eats exactly what we all have...more so the same thing her twin does. In fact...less than her twin most of the time and more water than her twin ?!?! SMH this is what boggles me so much. When she was smaller ((3-4) I did have an issue with her over eating her dinner / lunch. I had to teach her to know when she was full and that her plate did not have to be empty to be done. Took several months but now she no doubt stops when she is full. Next task for both kids...SLOW down LOL No need to gobble the plate in 5 seconds! (this happens with every favorite dinner) I blame their Dad for this one haha...I am always the last to finish he is always first. Not even sure he tastes his food. I blame him - he blames the Army...blame game circle. :/

Do you happen to know the brand of the full fat - while not low calorie I could use half a serving for a fruit dip or something :) Or even use that in recipes that call for yogurt.

Thank you everyone!!! Making a list to refer to :)

Kids can have thyroid problems too. Mine started in my teens, but it can happen any time.

My favorite yogurt is full fat Fage Greek yogurt. It's less tart than Brown Cow, Straus, and Nancy's. Pavel's is regular yogurt, and also a less tart brand. Greek God's makes a full fat Greek yogurt, and it's delicious, even though their low fat yogurt is horrible.

When I get the urge to snack it usually turns out to be lunch time. I like snacks with protein, like tuna salad, hardboiled eggs, or, of course, Greek yogurt.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    :) You guys are the best!!! Thank you a million!!!

I have checked out some home made granola bar recipes. Once they go back to school I will have more time so I have those on the back burner right now. Also going to check out that book ~ she loves wraps especially the flavored ones (spinach / tomato etc) Her new favorite is the Arnold wheat pockets. Also going to check into the yogurts - since she can not have the milk (limited whole due to fat / calorie) finding other dairy sources is key with us.

I want to have as many ideas as possible to keep them from getting bored. I always start the year (since K) with cold lunches but by November they beg for hot lunch :( Not sure if it is because their friends have hot lunch or if they get bored. So if I keep it interesting...I hope they can stick to it :) I also just bought lunch sticky notes to send little notes each day. (corny maybe..but with my kids it may just work)
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Celery and Salsa...

That simple and its super filling as well.

For a better result I cut celery and let it soak in water in the fridge... Takes a bit of bitterness out of the celery

2-3 pieces with salsa is about 10 calories...

As far as kids any kind of home made veggie & Cheese tray would work well... You could use a Bento box and really make it creative.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    Celery and Salsa...

That simple and its super filling as well.

For a better result I cut celery and let it soak in water in the fridge... Takes a bit of bitterness out of the celery

2-3 pieces with salsa is about 10 calories...

thank you for that tip - they like celery but usually only one stalk and I wonder if that is why lol Will try that Thanks!