Please explain this to me....

Options
I do not understand when someone completes their food diary for the day,and has all of these comments saying WTG! Great Day! ect ect and that person has not even eaten 1000 calories.
If I ate 800-900 calories a day and worked out I would be sick,I just do not understand why people encourage this type of behaviour.
:huh:

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    This happens for a couple of reasons:

1. The person doesn't actually read the diary, and is just responding to the "under their calorie goal" message.

2. People think weight loss is like golf - the person with the lowest score wins.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't comment on those kind of posts nor do I typically accept friend requests from people like that. it's hard to watch someone starve themself and over-do it at the gym in an effort to lose weight faster.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lora. I won't comment unless I actually read their diary. Some people get mad if I comment on how little they actually eat.
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm... I think sometimes people might be in a hurry and forget to look at the diary. I'm guilty of it. I only go on MFP maybe 10 minutes a day to log in stuff?? Sometimes I just see that they've stayed under their calories for the day and I say, "Great day!" without thinking about it. But when I do see that someone has completely skipped lunch and dinner, I might point it out in a private message so it's not out in the open. :wink:
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lora. I won't comment unless I actually read their diary. Some people get mad if I comment on how little they actually eat.

Me too. I don't comment unless I've read the food diary (and then only if I can honestly say "good job"). And I never comment on these kinds of posts if the person's food diary is closed. If I don't have the time to check, I also don't comment. I'll probably have time to do it tomorrow. :)
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I don't even think it makes sense to say WTG! Congrats! Awesome! etc. on ANY day for ANY amount of food... Who cares what I eat? It's just weird. Possibly the weirdest part of this site.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Sometimes I remark on how little they have eaten but usually I just don't comment, or occasionally I will comment on something they ate like "Oh I love asparagus" or something like that. I never congratulate for being so low. A part of me would like to remove the friends that consistently eat under 1200 calories every day, especially because I eat like 2000 a day, but then I feel bad and don't remove them.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I hope people don't expect me to comment on much...I'm not the type. I have noticed that people will say "WTG" or congrats messages on my diary posts and I'm like "I ate 700 calories of junk and beer....weird." LOL
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't even think it makes sense to say WTG! Congrats! Awesome! etc. on ANY day for ANY amount of food... Who cares what I eat? It's just weird. Possibly the weirdest part of this site.
    Haha I kind of like looking at what people ate, it's sort of food voyeurism or something! But I like looking at food diaries the same way I love reading menus. I love food and I love to see how people put it together!
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have my diary open to my fiends but it doesn't post to my feed daily. I really don't need a pat on the back for what I ate :) And a couple of times I was way under calories because of being ill etc.. my friends did not give me a way to go, they gave me hell or asked what was wrong. Thats the kind of support I love.
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    May I ask a very serious and honest question?

Would you lovely people go and check my diary and tell me if I'm not eating enough? I will be honest, I have lots of problems trying to get to the "eat more to lose more" kind of thinking... and believe me when I say I eat NORMALLY, really do not feel like I am starving myself. Also, have trouble trying to up my calories without going crazy in the fats and sugars.

Sorry I'm using your post to ask this, OP, but the comments just made me wonder... :ohwell: