5k preparation

Options
I been struggling all month long
been gaining and losing the same 5 lbs its not cause i am plateau or anything but its like i go thru a i dont care what i eat phase a few days then i feel bad and tighten up and lose the weight i gained from those few days and then i slip back into it - i had expected to be at 50 lbs lost by july 4th sitting at 48.2 now and decided i needed another goal to get me motivated and decided i am gonna participate in a 5k run in december which gives me 5 months to prepare for it - i am gonna start doing the c25k program might have to do the first few weeks of it several times to get my body trained for it but i am hoping that by the time it the run comes in december it would be fantastic if i could run the entire thing without stoping not trying to go super fast but would love to at least jog it the entire time my friend starts preparing 2 months in advance so i figure if i start now that should give me plenty of time
this has given me a new found yay i wanna do this energy which is what i have been needing
5k is 3.1 miles so that is roughly 25-30 minutes running/jogging i think i can build myself up to this

is there anything else i can do to help me prepare for this and help make it easier
should i eat before during after etc? what should i eat

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I don't know your fitness background, but if you're just starting c25k now and are planning on running in December a goal time of 25-30 min is really aggressive, IMHO.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't know your fitness background, but if you're just starting c25k now and are planning on running in December a goal time of 25-30 min is really aggressive, IMHO.

I've been running for over 5 years and my best 5K time to date is 26:07 so I'd have to agree with this.

Having said that, don't let it deter you from your goal of running a 5K. Even if you're the slowest runner it doesn't matter - you're doing more than the folks sitting on their butts watching TV and stuffing crap down their gullets.

Personally I think the C25K program may be too aggressive for some new runners, don't feel bad if your progress isn't as fast as the program calls for and don't worry if you have to repeat weeks.

Keep your running pace slow and comfortable, you don't want to find yourself gasping for air and listen to your body. With the right training and attitude you will amaze yourself!
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am just starting running but I can do the eliptical for a hour without stopping so was hoping that will give me a little edge
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you're new to running, don't give yourself the pressure of a time - whatever your time, it'll be a personal record! I agree with RGv2, 25-30 minutes is a pretty quick time, which would require speeds of 6-6.5mph.

With regards to food, you don't need to make any major changes. I personally struggle to run with super-low carb diets or after junk food. Maybe keep a diary of each run & how it felt, then compare this with your food diary to see what works for you.

Other than that, the main advice is don't build up too fast - longer runs shouldn't increase by more than 10% a week.

Good luck!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Time on the elliptical doesn't really translate to running, but don't let that discourage you. Why not make your goal to finish and not worry about the time? Just have fun and develop a love for running.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a few months now, still a new runner, but I have progressed enough that I ran an 8K last weekend (4.97 miles) in an hour and 3 minutes. On average, a 5K takes me about 38-40 minutes. I'll be doing one this weekend! All that to say, slower is better, when it comes to new runners anyway. A training quote I've learned to live by is "First train to finish, then train to finish first", or something along those lines. Take it easy with the speed, and make sure you have the right shoes. Get fitted at a running store if you can. Totally worth it. Cross training is good too, so that elliptical work may help you out.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I've been running for over 5 years and my best 5K time to date is 26:07 so I'd have to agree with this.

Having said that, don't let it deter you from your goal of running a 5K. Even if you're the slowest runner it doesn't matter - you're doing more than the folks sitting on their butts watching TV and stuffing crap down their gullets.

Personally I think the C25K program may be too aggressive for some new runners, don't feel bad if your progress isn't as fast as the program calls for and don't worry if you have to repeat weeks.

Keep your running pace slow and comfortable, you don't want to find yourself gasping for air and listen to your body. With the right training and attitude you will amaze yourself!

^^Agree with this. Don't let it deter you, I just wanted to let you know that was really aggressive. I averaged a 24min 5k inside (on a 5 mile training distance), and 20 min outside.

I think I averaged 8.3 mph to get that 5k in 24 min.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    First off congrats on deciding to become a running and giving yourself a goal of running a 5k in December! Best of luck. I am sure you can do it.

My best advice to you is go slow! Speed will come with time and mileage. So for now, don't worry about how fast you are running or how fast you want to eventually run. My first run was slower than my brisk walk. Slow will also allow you to get used to the motions odf running. If you can google proper form and watch a few videos. And consider going to a running store to get fitted for running shoes.

Beat of luck and if you need motivation there are tons of 5k threads going through here of people kicking butt at it.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress and your decision to run. I am going to iterate the things that worked for me:

1. Shoes
    2. Slow
    3. C25k - repeating some of the early weeks.
    4. With the training, walk when you need to, but put in the miles. So important.
    5. Have fun and be proud.
  • blocks4hire
    Options
    I am just about to start running and have signed up for the Beginner 5K program on the Runkeeper App (which links to myfitnesspal). This gives you a program for eventually running 5k in 8 weeks from a standing start.

I have not run in years so hope that this will get me back into it and help me start to achieve my weight loss goals.....

I am happy to be your friend on the app so we can follow and encourage each other if this is something that you wish to do.

Rich
  • melissa221979
    melissa221979 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have just completed a 5k race for life last weekend (running the whole thing) and was training 3x a week for 12 weeks, a similar plan to C25K but less aggressive. I went from zero fitness (just had a baby) to comfortably running for 35 mins + and im not a natural runner. Im so chuffed and plan to continue, my advice would be, take it slow and gradual. Ive never been able to run this far in my life and i promise you its worth it! good luck!
  • bachoat
    bachoat Posts: 24
    Options
    DO NOT WORRY ABOUT TIME!! Just get out and get moving! People will pass you and you will pass people!! If you have a smart phone I suggest getting a running app. I use Runkeeper and I love it! Hang in there!!
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    A good gauge of pace is whether or not you can hold a conversation while you're running. The aim is to be able to run continuously for 30 minutes or more and that's going to be very difficult if you're puffing and panting after only a few minutes.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    "First train to finish, then train to finish first"

I love this quote!
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Ok so my goal then is going to be running or at least jogging the entire time and then my goal time is 40 minutes or under which I think is reasonable gives me roughly 13 minutes per mile and there is no reason at all why i should not be able to jog a mile in under 13 minutes