Gym noob....feel so out of place

Options
Hi. I'm new to this. I just got a gym membership and have been going 3 days so far. I am going from very sedentary to going to the gym mon-fri. I am determined to do this but I feel SO out of place at the gym. I know everyone has to start somewhere, I get that. It's like I'm doing the weight machines and there's all these fit people doing crazy looking exercises and I'm struggling to lift my 20lbs lol. For anyone who felt like this at first..... how long until you felt more comfortable?

Replies

• blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would schedule a few sessions with a trainer, this may help you feel more comfortable around the other people who seem to know what they are doing.
  • littlebee26
    littlebee26 Posts: 116
    Options
    I suppose I was at the gym for about 6 weeks before I felt a little more comfortable. But hang in there and keep this in mind. The people in the gym right now may look to you like they know what they are doing.....but guaranteed they are worried that they are doing things wrong...have bad form etc. To them, you are just another gym bunny!! They have no idea that you are a beginner. So there is really no need to feel uncomfortable. Be a boss in there!!!
  • michellellelle
    Options
    I did have an appt. I mean I know how to work everything pretty much. He told me what I should do and showed me how to do it correctly. I guess I would liken it to a guy walking into a victoria's secret....uncomfortable!
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere, don't think about what other people are doing. The only person you are competing with is yourself. If you later decide you want to do some lifting later on and get nervous (like I used to be when I first started) I would recommend just looking up some strength training routines or proper form when using free weights on youtube or something to give you extra confidence at the gym.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i have a few thoughts on this. Most people there are too tired or concentrating to worry about others. So you can get around the gym almost stealthily. If they are taking the time to judge you, they are not working out hard enough and who cares what they even think. Just do your thing, be you and kick some *kitten*!

Also, I felt the same as you for about a week. Then I realized the above and its been gravy since then. Even when my trainer is up in my grill making a bunch of ruckus, cause really, she is loud, noone care. The only ones that seem to garner a large bit of attention are the grunters and slammers over in the bro section. (we actually have an area of the weight floor where the superdouche bros congregate)
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I am about to recommit after not lifting for regularly for 3 years. It is going to be bad! but, just remember everyone has to start somewhere. the biggest person at the gym that has 6 45lb plates on each side while they bench press started out scrawny just like everyone else.

The ones that are all hardcore 3 inches from the mirror lifting while staring down everyone else are just d-bags anyways. dont worry about them.
  • msfine2328
    msfine2328 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I totally felt like that when I started. Still do. Your right, you have to start somewhere. And you want to start light and move up because you could hurt yourself and that would set you back. I try to zone out and listen to my music so I don't pay attention to anyone else. Good for you for going and keep up the good work:smile:
  • irishastoria
    irishastoria Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way you do when I first starting trying to do anything but running on the treadmill! I agree with several others that ones of the best things you could do is schedule some time with a trainer. I have been working with one for 8 months now and it is one of the best decisions of my life in terms of giving me confidence and knowledge about all of the machines in the gym. I now only meet with him once a week as he works on adaptive exercises with me (I am currently pregnant) but thanks to have worked with him before, I go in and use the machines and do the stretches he taught me on my own with no fear.

It is not just about the intimidation either--it is hard to teach yourself the proper way to use many of the machines to limit injury as well. You don't have to make a long term commitment to a trainer--just a few sessions and be clear about wanting to know about the correct form and method of many of the machines, what they are used for, and get a basic set circuit built up that will be your base.
  • oesdiva84
    oesdiva84 Posts: 2
    Options
    If you are really uncomfortable, ask the desk clerks when is the time of day where there are the least number of people. On the first day that I started going to the gym, it was packed! I was so intimidated that I immediately turned around and went home. I later called and got the info above and it has worked out in my favor. Also, try a few classes. There are more than likely other ppl there who are just as new and feeling vulnerable as you. Maybe this could spark up a partner workout situation. You both could meet at the gym at the same time to help with the noob stresses!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Also, a lot of people you see looking at you are not necessarily judging you but looking in appreciation. I often find I am looking at someone in the gym thinking "boy, she looks really great and she can lift X"! I think it's great when I see a fat person in the gym or doing yoga with us, but I think it's disgusting when I see a fat person filling up their 6th plate at the Piggy Buffet". Just the fact you are in the gym and doing something for yourself speaks volumes to those around you.
  • alimarie53
    alimarie53 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I feel out of the place and I've been going to gyms on and off for ten years! If you are worried about form try talking with a trainer. Employees at gyms are typically good about helping out. Take the time to look over the machines and see what they recommend for form. Take your time and just keep going back. You will get in a groove in a few weeks. :)
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight before strength training so I felt more confident than I think I would've at the beginning. But I regret waiting. People at the gym are friendly (exercise makes you happy after all!!) so don't be afraid to ask your peers, a trainer, etc.

More importantly, have a routine. When you have a routine you can go there, do your thing and leave. You don't have time to think about who is watching you or what you want to do.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    When I started I was bench pressing 15kg. I'm a 22 year old male and I was lifting 15kg.

I stepped up to the bench, nervous as hell but when I finished my set what did I see? Nobody giving a damn. And nobody does, I don't care, the huge dude doesn't care, the fit girls don't care because they're there for one thing - to work out.

Don't worry about what others are doing, focus on yourself and your workouts will improve dramatically.
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I felt more in place after about 2-3 weeks, you seem to see the same faces and you become a regular :) give it abit of time!
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Pretty heavy when I started. I just kinda ignored everyone and concentrated on me. My husband loves to work out at home, but I simply will not. Obviously as I got to 255 pounds sitting at home watching his skinny self work out every day.

I loved the gym. It was ME time. I worked so much harder from day1 (even if that work was simply walking on the treadmill and adding more minutes each day). I did all the weight machines on the lowest possible weight at first. Gotta start somewhere.

My husband kept asking me why I had to go to the gym to work out. I finally figured out the answer:

"I work harder at the gym because if someone 'should' look at me, I don't think they are thinking ""OMG, look at that fat old lady"" If I am doing my best and sweating and trying, I THINK they are thinking ""Wow, look at that lady working so hard. Good for her"".

Lastly, everyone there is for themself. Don't worry about it. Truth is, not a one is probably even looking at you. Just take care of you. You WILL get stronger every single day no matter your size or age. GOOD LUCK.
  • melisiouss
    melisiouss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym regularly, and I look at new people as wow great for them. I know the gym at times can make anyone feel uncomfortable. No matter what size you are its great to see people trying to be healthy. Keep it up .... even if its just walking, you are trying that is what matters. Set your goals a little higher each day.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    P.S. Peeked at your profile and saw you havent added friends or filled out the info. If you can, take time to put down your info, your goals. It helped me 'commit'. It was like telling myself "I am here on mfp. I am here to succeed. I am who I am, the weight I am, and who I WILL be. This is ME. I get to be myself here (safely). I can say what I don't say to others." This gave me a strange feeling of empowerment to make the changes I needed to be who I wanted.

Make some friends. You see someone whose success inspires you, or with similar goals, or similar age, or somone who makes you laugh (very important to me)--and just reach out to them.. Send a brief message why they caught your attention with a friend request. I have only had one person say no and they nicely explained they were doing this with a group of personal friends and that was all they wanted to work with. it did not hurt my feelings at all. I have friends here that make me laugh every day, keep me focussed, and mainly keep me inspired/motivated enough to keep at this process.

Take charge -- OWN the gym and OWN yourself in this journey. Have FUN with it! It makes it so much easier when you are having a little fun and making new friends. I hope to visit a few when my hubby retires and we dust off the old travel trailer Good Luck and NEVER give up.
  • michellellelle
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I just can't wait to see results. I am going from cake and cookies and doing nothing to gym mon-fri and I would imagine it won't take too long. Last night I went and while doing one of my arm exercises I hear a guy on the machine behind me who sounded like he was lifting the whole machine going URGH UH URGH lol. I look back he was like hulk hogan lol Right now I'm just out of my element! Thanks again for the motivation :)
  • LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I joined about a month ago, and I felt exactly the same! In fact, I still feel a little awkward sometimes, but I've started to realize that what everyone else is saying is true - everyone is there for their own benefit.

The super fit girls and buff guys that used to be my excuse for avoiding the gym - because they were obviously judging me (in my head!) aren't doing so. In fact, they smile at me encouragingly are super polite and are generally just nice people.

This is especially true once you've been going for a little while and you see the same people. I haven't struck up any friendships yet, but there are definitely people who are around at the same time as me. I have a LONG way to go, and seeing the same people is encouraging. Because, you know what, they probably had to work to get where they are. And, they're obviously still working to stay there. It's pretty motivating.

So, I guess a month is how long it took for me. Of course, you might take less or more time - but just remember (like everyone else said) it is ALL about you - don't worry about anybody else!