NOOOO!!!! HERNIATED DISC!!! now what??

Options
Long story short, I was steam cleaning my couches a few months ago and had some mild back pain that came and went ever since. It didn't seem bad enough to get it checked out but yesterday I was picking my daughter up (she weighs 28lbs) and immediately felt something in my lower back go terribly wrong. Spent all of yesterday in excruciating pain and woke up worse today. Saw my Dr and she diagnosed it as most likely being a herniated disc. So I am on pain meds, have to go to physical therapy and can't work out anymore. I've made such good progress so far and I'm terrifed that I'm going to start gaining weight back. I know I can still control my diet and calorie intake, but for me weight loss/maintenence comes so much easier if I can exercise. Has anyone gone through something like this? Getting injured midway through your weight loss? I still have 14lbs to lose and I don't wanna go backwards!!

Replies

• ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a herniated disk, have had since before I started loosing weight, hasn't stopped me from eating right AND exercising and loosing 120 lbs!
    Your physical therapist will show you what exercises you can and can't do, and remember to listen to your body and go slowly, otherwise this should not be an excuse not to exercise and move around. - Just look at me! 120 lbs lighter!
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have a herniated disk, have had since before I started loosing weight, hasn't stopped me from eating right AND exercising and loosing 120 lbs!
    Your physical therapist will show you what exercises you can and can't do, and remember to listen to your body and go slowly, otherwise this should not be an excuse not to exercise and move around. - Just look at me! 120 lbs lighter!

What kind of exercise are you allowed to do?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: My case was really really bad, so I don't want to say ANYTHING for fear of jinxing you.

Just keep up with your Dr. visits and take matters into your own hands. Take care of yourself and I will think happy thoughts u get better fast. Even though I don't know you. I know your situation.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: My case was really really bad, so I don't want to say ANYTHING for fear of jinxing you.

Just keep up with your Dr. visits and take matters into your own hands. Take care of yourself and I will think happy thoughts u get better fast. Even though I don't know you. I know your situation.

^this for me too. :-) You'll be fine, I'm sure.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

me 3.

it will be ok.

I herniated 3 discs 12 years ago and am able to do many things...sometimes they arent happy, but i work around it.
  • jasonchampion
    Options

I to slipped a disk 5 months ago and for the first 2 weeks I could not move at all sitting for 30 seconds was agony however after the worst has past depending how bad your disk is I would say you do need to start low impact like swimming I found this to be very good as the water takes the pressure off you lower back also try Laying on your back knees up and lightly thrust your hips a exercise ball is also an effective way of doing it lay flat on your back with lower legs on the ball with feet hip width apart and gently rock your legs left to right but be gentle mind don't over do it this will slowly but surly help use the apps on this site there is 1 that will tell you how many cals your body will burn if laying in bed all day just add your detail into it and don't go over the recommended amount slipped disks are painful don't try and do lots or you could make it worse take it easy for a week then try to do some low impact expect it to last 6-8 weeks tho best of luck to you It will pass.
  • sc10985
    Options

me 3.

it will be ok.

I herniated 3 discs 12 years ago and am able to do many things...sometimes they arent happy, but i work around it.

Aww thanks ladies :) you all look fabulous so that gives me hope! These past few weeks I just feel like odds are so against me. I had a horrible sinus infection for 2 weeks, got food poisoning not once but TWICE and now this happens. I'm like really?? What the hell is next?? Lol.

Eta: About how long was the healing process? And have you had to be more "careful" since then so you don't re injure it?
  • sc10985
    Options

I to slipped a disk 5 months ago and for the first 2 weeks I could not move at all sitting for 30 seconds was agony however after the worst has past depending how bad your disk is I would say you do need to start low impact like swimming I found this to be very good as the water takes the pressure off you lower back also try Laying on your back knees up and lightly thrust your hips a exercise ball is also an effective way of doing it lay flat on your back with lower legs on the ball with feet hip width apart and gently rock your legs left to right but be gentle mind don't over do it this will slowly but surly help use the apps on this site there is 1 that will tell you how many cals your body will burn if laying in bed all day just add your detail into it and don't go over the recommended amount slipped disks are painful don't try and do lots or you could make it worse take it easy for a week then try to do some low impact expect it to last 6-8 weeks tho best of luck to you It will pass.

Thank you. Lowering my calories is gonna be a bummer lol but oh well. It is very painful, I just feel like I have so much limitation on my mobility and I'm a mom to a busy toddler so it's very frustrating!! But I'm terrified of making it worse!!
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have bulging discs I got from falling four years ago. I went through tons of therapy until the inflamation went down. I also had a baby but carrying thr baby fullterm hurt as hell. Since then if I do rigorous exercise I suffer in pain and unable to twist and turn in bed, sit for ling periods. I still workout; I run, squats, leg lifts but I do only what my body allows.
  • sc10985
    Options
    I have bulging discs I got from falling four years ago. I went through tons of therapy until the inflamation went down. I also had a baby but carrying thr baby fullterm hurt as hell. Since then if I do rigorous exercise I suffer in pain and unable to twist and turn in bed, sit for ling periods. I still workout; I run, squats, leg lifts but I do only what my body allows.

That's my other concern, getting pregnant again! Which I would like sometime in the next year.
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yep, keep it easy while you're in pain, but once the swelling goes down and it passes in a few days or weeks (depending on how bad it is), like the comments above swimming is good, laying on your back is good, even just a nice walk.
    Again, your PT will be able to give you some ideas of exercises you can do, and help you find your limits.
    It may be a good idea to get a CT scan to see if this is actually what it is. I just thought I had really severe crippling back pain every now and again, got a CT for a completely different issue and they found my herniated disc!
    Fortunately, they generally avoid doing surgery on these sort of things unless absolutely necessary.
    The more you strengthen your back muscles the easier it will get, but be gentle at first, and listen to your PT so as not to injure yourself further.
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I had a herniated disc with an annular tear....
    I did my physical therapy - rested for a bit (not too long - I am a horrible patient)
    Strengthening my core really helps as well as the stretching that the therapist showed me -
    Hopefully rest and PT will help - Ice is always always always a benefit

I hope you are feeling better soon!!! In the mean time just try to watch your intake...

I get so crabby when I cant work out
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    excercise is beneficial for herniated discs. I have 3 herniated discs, scoliosis in the back, nerve impingement from the discs ect. I rest when the pain flares but activity is good, tehts why they are sending you to PT.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Walking helps me. I have 2 bulging discs that cause me nothing but pain all day. I can't sit for more than 5 mins a day...10 at the most....all day. I walk. All day. It's how I started to lose weight on here & I got to a point where i can run, zumba...you name it. Apart from lift. I can't lift. :(

Walking helps heaps. It's at the point where no painkillers are needed unless it's super bad. I was taking 8 a day (codeine) and now I'll be lucky to take 1.

Walk. Walk walk walk. Keeps the weight off, gives you the exercise & helps the pain.

BTW should mention that it's been 3 years so far with this BS in my back. Took me 1.5 to do something about it.
  • sc10985
    Options
    Walking helps me. I have 2 bulging discs that cause me nothing but pain all day. I can't sit for more than 5 mins a day...10 at the most....all day. I walk. All day. It's how I started to lose weight on here & I got to a point where i can run, zumba...you name it. Apart from lift. I can't lift. :(

Walking helps heaps. It's at the point where no painkillers are needed unless it's super bad. I was taking 8 a day (codeine) and now I'll be lucky to take 1.

Walk. Walk walk walk. Keeps the weight off, gives you the exercise & helps the pain.

BTW should mention that it's been 3 years so far with this BS in my back. Took me 1.5 to do something about it.

I was hoping I could at least walk some. I'm bummed because I was just starting to get into running but walking is better than nothing!
  • sc10985
    Options
    I had a herniated disc with an annular tear....
    I did my physical therapy - rested for a bit (not too long - I am a horrible patient)
    Strengthening my core really helps as well as the stretching that the therapist showed me -
    Hopefully rest and PT will help - Ice is always always always a benefit

I hope you are feeling better soon!!! In the mean time just try to watch your intake...

I get so crabby when I cant work out

Thank you! When I don't work out my body just gets so sluggish, no matter what I eat. I work 3 days a week as a hairstylist and am on my feet all day so I'm not totally sedentary lol
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Just wandering if you get fatigued easily or wake up tired. What does your temperature normally run?
  • sc10985
    Options
    Just wandering if you get fatigued easily or wake up tired. What does your temperature normally run?

No not usually. I have woken up tired the past 2 days but only because I can't get comfortable and sleep is minimal and often interrupted. My temp was normal at the dr yesterday. Why do you ask?
  • chandy2809
    chandy2809 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    do swimming or aqua classes, yoga and pilattes to. what ever class you do inform the instructer!!!!

I had mine sorted surgically and I still went to the gym and so on! im just never allowed on a trampoline/bouncy castle or to bungee jump/sky jump and so on!

I honestly only found out after my foot went numb when I was running!

I kept uop at the gym and swimming though and swear swimming helped my back!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

No not usually. I have woken up tired the past 2 days but only because I can't get comfortable and sleep is minimal and often interrupted. My temp was normal at the dr yesterday. Why do you ask?

Back problems and long lasting infections can be an indication of metabolic issues. If you have those issues and don't adress them, your back could cause you to suffer needlessly so I thought I would ask. :)