My HRM again

Options
Still struggling with the differences between the reading on this and mfp calories burned for exercise figures. Just done 45 minute brisk walk and hrm says I burned 595 calories whereas MFP figures for walks have been much lower. Same goes for Zumba class. The HRM has my correct age and sex input in it - it it me, is it wrong or what please?

Replies

• FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    595 calories seems like a lot for a walk, especially if you don't have much to lose (which it looks like you don't). I burn about 100 calories per mile I run.. if that gives you some perspective. I'm not sure how you could go about calibrating your HRM though. Are you wearing it correctly? Could that be an issue?
  • aquamarinex
    aquamarinex Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you that's what I wondered too - It is only a wrist one but I do make sure I press it regularly to do heart rate reading while exercising and I have keyed in my age and sex as I mentioned and theres nowhere to add my weight or other info. Wasn't sure if I should be deducting something for the fact that I would burn some calories just sitting on my bottom.
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    That does seem extremely high for a walk..maybe it's time to invest in another HRM. What kind do you have? Does it have a strap?
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't have a chest strap, it's not going to be very accurate.
  • FindMyInnerAthlete
    FindMyInnerAthlete Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 and it is pretty close to what MFP says. It's a band you wear right underneath your chest/sports bra and it calculates your HRM that is then transferred to your watch. I love it! It's a bit on the expensive side but it's pretty accurate. Here is a link if you would like to check it out. http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374765048&sr=8-1&keywords=pink+polar+ft4
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    To sanity check the numbers Runners World suggests the following formula for gross calories expended walking:

.57 x your body weight in pounds x distance in miles

If you were walking 4 mph the distance traveled would be 3 miles, so if you weighed close to 350 lbs yes, you may have burned 595 cal . Realistically, way less than half of that.

Any HRM that doesn't have a chest strap and doesn't allow you to enter your weight is useless (except for periodically checking your heart rate) and even then the better HRMs are an estimate.
  • aquamarinex
    aquamarinex Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you all of you :-) No it doesn't have a chest strap and at 139lbs the calorie burn is as Brian said going to be a lot lower. Guess that was a waste of £40 then.
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Yes, throw that HRM monitor away! invest in a Polar! best purchase ever and worth every cent!