Deadlifts: Diet, training history, gender, and body weight?

Options
I'd like to start deadlifting regularly in the near future.

What are the relative contributions of these factors in how much someone should be able to deadlift? Is there a calculator?

I've come to the conclusion that the better your diet, the more you'll be able to lift. Same for how long you've been at it. Men tend to deadlift more than women on average, and heavier people tend to deadlift more than lighter people.

Just want to get a rough idea of where other people are.

Want to share your stats?
-Diet (surplus vs. defecit)
-How long you've been deadlifting
-Whether you're male or female
-Your body weight

Thanks!

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Probably the biggest factor, If you take 2 people the same height, weight and level of ability, is leverages. Arm length, back length, thigh length, overall leg length.

Diet- not so much. Building muscle and the strength that goes along with it is best done on a surplus. I've seen plenty of people with not so great diets pull some big weight. My son was pulling 610 at 19 years old and 6'2 and 225lbs. His diet was horrible, but he got plenty of protein and worked hard in the gym. Most people who are trying to maximize their lifts to that level are not on a deficit diet.

I restarted my lifting back in Feb. I have been slack with my deadlifting since my return to the weight room as well. Back when I was half decent, I was

Diet- surplus
    Experience- 10+ years
    male
    250lbs (competition weight was anywhere from 245-260)
    My best was 585lbs.

Now-
    diet- deficit
    experience- <6 months after a 3 year layoff from all lifting
    still male :)
    228lbs
    best now- 395x5 reps. Haven't tried a max and probably won't for a long time.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    -Diet (surplus vs. defecit) - Not tracking too closely so some days are over and others are under.
    -How long you've been deadlifting - Two weeks currently. Around 15 years ago I deadlifted for around 4 months (I wasn't tracking diet at all then.)
    -Whether you're male or female - male
    -Your body weight - Now 182 @ 6'0", age 53, 15 years ago maybe 5 pounds heavier.

Currently I deadlifted 205 the first week and 235 the second week. I feel like I could have gone a little higher but I am being a little cautious since I doing this to fix some back pain I get while running and I don't want to make it worse before it gets better.

15 years ago I got up to 385 in 4 months before I got lazy and stopped.
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Diet (surplus vs. defecit) - on average I'm slightly under maintenance calories
    -How long you've been deadlifting - 3 months consistently. Took a year off that particular lift during pregnancy. Before pregnancy I was deadlifting for 3.5 years
    -Whether you're male or female - female
    -Your body weight - Now 141-143 17-18% bodyfatbefore pregnancy 135-140 14% bodyfat
    Max Deadlift- 180lbs
    Max deadlift before pregnancy- 270lbs
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Thanks. There are some pretty good deadlifters on here I would say.

Anything in particular to watch out for that's a common deadlifting mistake?
  • Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

My trainer points out that I have a tendency to roll my shoulders when I stand up. This is very very bad for your rotator cuff, so avoid that at all costs!
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 male I weight about 245 right now. I'm currently bulking so my diet is surplus. I don't really max in the deadlift b/c i'm not a competitve powerlifter and I'm scared of injury. However, my heaviest set is 425 for four reps. I know alot of ppl on here are anti crossfit. However, if there is a crossfit gym near you I would reccomend you go there on a free intro class and ask about the deadlift. They would be more than willing to show you proper form.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options

My trainer points out that I have a tendency to roll my shoulders when I stand up. This is very very bad for your rotator cuff, so avoid that at all costs!

Oh, you must mean you were rolling them forward as you stood up, right?
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Diet (surplus vs. defecit) - surplus
    -How long you've been deadlifting - 11 months
    -Whether you're male or female - female
    -Your body weight - 128
    Max Deadlift- 190 sumo, 165 conventional
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Rounding back, straightening legs too soon during the lift, pushing off the toes

- At maintenance caloric intake
    -How long you've been deadlifting - Off and on for 1.5 years
    -Whether you're male or female - male
    -Your body weight - 145
    Max Deadlift- 310 (estimated), do working set at of 255x6 (maxes out my plates at home) I use to SL deadlift 265x6
  • Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Oh, you must mean you were rolling them forward as you stood up, right?

No, actually when I stand up, I have a tendency to roll them backwards if I haven't kept my shoulder blades together during the lift. I know, terrible. I'm working on it. :-/
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Diet; been on a deficit since I began training seriously. I've been doing them properly for about 6 months. I started off with around 150kg max, and I'm building up to a 210kg 1RM max attempt in about a month. I weigh about 120kg, and slowly cutting whilst maintaining and/or slightly improving base strength.

Best cue I got was to push the floor away when you start the lift, rather than thinking about straightening your legs. Heel drive is very important.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just work with what you have!

IM A GIRL OF 19! and I have just worked through with what I can lift with out disterbing my form or hurting myself!

It nothing to do with weight! Just add or take away what ever weight you need!

I love deadlifts I say go for it! Just check proper form and take it easy as a beginner :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

One should hinge at the hip, not the low back.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just work with what you have!

IM A GIRL OF 19! and I have just worked through with what I can lift with out disterbing my form or hurting myself!

It nothing to do with weight! Just add or take away what ever weight you need!

I love deadlifts I say go for it! Just check proper form and take it easy as a beginner :)

Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Pre workout (Usually protein powder) Post workout (Same with carb snack ) evening (Sometimes)
    I'm 134lb
    Been dead lifting for month and a half or so!
    Deadlift 40kg working up as I get STRONGER!!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Less chit chat. Moar lifting.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    -Diet: deficit
    -How long you've been deadlifting: Restarted 2 weeks ago. Before that, 3 or 4 months.
    -Whether you're male or female: Female
    -Your body weight: 188

Currently I can deadlift 135x5
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Diet: Currently in deficit, have lifted in surplus and maintence as well
    How long deadlifting: about 18 months (but only focused on smaller sets since last Nov)
    M or F: female
    Bodyweight: 127ish
    Current deadlifts: work sets are 175x5 right now
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    stop thinking about it and just do it.

What are the relative contributions of these factors in how much someone should be able to deadlift? Is there a calculator?
    The will, or lack thereof, to pick the bar up with excellent technique is all you need to worry about.

-Diet: Maintenance
    -How long you've been deadlifting: May 2008 - February 2012 (325 lb max), started again in January 2013 (410 lb max).
    -body weight: 183 lbs

[/quote]
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    stop thinking about it and just do it.

The will, or lack thereof, to pick the bar up with excellent technique is all you need to worry about.

-Diet: Maintenance
    -How long you've been deadlifting: May 2008 - February 2012 (325 lb max), started again in January 2013 (410 lb max).
    -body weight: 183 lbs

[/quote]

Totally agree with all of this. OP - it is admirable to get all the background info, but there comes a time to stop talking about it and just do it! :) Go pick that **** up off the floor!
  • soysauce6626
    soysauce6626 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    -Diet (surplus vs. defecit) - Lean bulking at the moment. I'm at a 100 cal surplus.
    -How long you've been deadlifting-- Deadlifting for 3 years
    -Whether you're male or female- male
    -Your body weight 136 pounds at 5'3
    Max dead lift with no straps - 410lbs

no E stats- :)21264_600551293289779_2085279952_n.jpg