Sleepiness after exercise

Options
I went to the gym tonight after work and ran/power walked on the treadmill for about 30 minutes. After I left, on the drive home, I was extremely sleepy. That 5 minute drive felt like 30 minutes.
Do you get really sleepy after you work out? What does this mean?

Replies

• delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    bump
  • EmmieCar86
    EmmieCar86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what it means either! I use to feel the exact same way. Like I could lay right down and pass out. Are you eating normal? When it use to happen to me I noticed it would be on days that I hadn't had a lot to eat and I thought maybe y blood sugar or something was low.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My guess is you need more carbs. Try eating a banana after your workout.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It could be any number of things. First thing you might want to try is eating some carbs before and after exercising. Protein is great and you should definitely ingest 20-50g within about 3 hours of lifting but the carbs will boost your energy. It could also be mild dehydration. Try feeding your body and keeping hydrated, if it continues for more than a week or two or gets worse, see a doctor.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Exercise promotes sleep. If you're working out when you're already tired from a long day, your body might just be ready for rest.
  • Dordye
    Dordye Posts: 6
    Options
    Are you taking enough supplements? This usually has to to with your food and vitamin intake. Are you eating enough small meals throughout the day? Did you have a light healthy breakfast prior to workout? How about a protien shake for the ride home? Food for thought. Good luck.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options

Do you get really sleepy after you work out? What does this mean?

I did a search because this happens to me a lot. I thought exercise was supposed to revive you :laugh: From what I've gathered in this thread (thank you) is, I should drink water before/during exercise and maybe have a banana straight afterwards. I'll give these a try. Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Sleepiness after working out is common. I bet right after you have energy. This is because of your dopamine levels but after a while dopamine levels begin to drop and this is when you start to feel sleepy. It's common and carbs won't help. Heck I take in about 70-85 grams of carbs after I workout.
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I was about to post and decided to do a search first on this topic!

Glad I am not the only one. I usually don't get this sleepy, but WOW all I want to do this morning is go to sleep! I was a little bit concerned , but see now it's not that uncommon.

I will just stay hydrated and eat righ for the rest of the day! :yawn:
  • rachelwarner32
    rachelwarner32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I recently started Insanity and I deal with this all the time. I find that I have a lot less fatigue if I wake up and do my workout vs later in the day. Thanks for posting so I know I'm not the only one :-)
  • keepmoving32
    keepmoving32 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am generally more drained after excercising and eating mostly "clean".... You may have a b12 deficiency or just plain worn out. On the upside, if you run or do hard cardio at night, it can help you sleep faster.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Sleepiness after working out is common. I bet right after you have energy. This is because of your dopamine levels but after a while dopamine levels begin to drop and this is when you start to feel sleepy. It's common and carbs won't help. Heck I take in about 70-85 grams of carbs after I workout.

^^ This is me. I am tired right after but it doesn't last long then I get a surge of energy. I started just sitting for 10-15mins after my workout in the dressing room listening to my ipod before the drive home helps if I am really sleepy. I do make sure I get that protein shake within 30mins of exercise because it helps you recover and your muscles recover.