Spinach, Chicken, and Cheese Quesadillas

Options
Aradia_Silvermoon
Aradia_Silvermoon Posts: 375 Member
So one day I was dying for mexican food but I didn't want to blow a lot of calories. After looking around my kitchen I came up with the following recipe:

Ingredients

1/8 teaspoon cumin, chili powder, paprika,, onion powder, garlic powder, and a tiny bit of salt
1 boneless skinless chicken breast (I use 2oz in the finished product which is 90-100 calories)
2 cups Spinach (20 calories)
1/3 cup Best Choice 2% shredded cheddar cheese (80 calories)
1 New Mexican Ole Extreme Wellness High Fiber, Low Carb tortilla (90 calories)
2 tbsp Pace Salsa (10-20 calories dending on type I used Pace All Natural Medium for 10 cal)

I boiled the chicken breast in the crockpot while at work but you can boil it in a pot until it is tender and shreds easily with a fork. Take 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and place it in a saute pan and add the 2 cups spinach, stir so the liquid covers the leaves then cover. While the spinach cooks shred the chicken breast place is bowl add the seasonings and mix until it covers the chicken completely. Stir the spinach and remove from heat when the liquid is all absorbed and the spinach looks like what you'd see if you opened canned spinach. Heat up a pan or a griddle, while this is heating up place 2oz chicken, cheese, and spinach on the half the tortilla and fold the other half over. Place on hot pan/griddle and cook until the cheese is melted and the outside is crispy. Place on plate and cut into 3-4 pieces and serve with a side of salsa

Total calories: 303!

263209_10200710539904349_2026509068_n.jpg

Replies

• twinsmommy221
    Options
    yum! Thanks for sharing. This will be my lunch tomorrow.
  • Ramona818
    Ramona818 Posts: 11
    Options
    Marking this for later. I usually have everything on-hand for this meal. Thanks for sharing.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    This looks so great, so have to try it
  • joshponi
    joshponi Posts: 4
    Options
    Is this really only 303 calories? wow.

Going to have to make it soon!
  • Katkamm77
    Katkamm77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. I'll make this one for sure! Thanks for sharing.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Oh YEAH!! Gonna put this one to good use!! Thanx :flowerforyou:
  • MzIrish
    MzIrish Posts: 11,917 Member
    Options
    Yummy !!
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Options
    Is this really only 303 calories? wow.

Going to have to make it soon!

From what I used off MFP to put in my food diary yeah it only came up to 303 calories! Now if you use different cheese or salsa it could be more! My diary is open and I made this on 06/27 so you can see what I plugged into it under dinner.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Yummy!
  • SunnySouth2013
    SunnySouth2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious.
  • steffie36
    steffie36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the only one, but i'm struggling to read the directions. (I struggle with comprehension)

It sounds awesome, but i can't follow the directions. Would it be far too much to ask for you to simplify the method?

It's cool if not, but i have dyslexia that doesn't effect my spelling as much as it does my reading, and unfamiliar words make's it worse.

Thanks either way.

Stef
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Gonna try
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • kittpitt
    kittpitt Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious I will make it:: :smile:
  • MellowTurtle
    MellowTurtle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Saving this, thank you for sharing!
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Options
    I hate to be the only one, but i'm struggling to read the directions. (I struggle with comprehension)

It sounds awesome, but i can't follow the directions. Would it be far too much to ask for you to simplify the method?

It's cool if not, but i have dyslexia that doesn't effect my spelling as much as it does my reading, and unfamiliar words make's it worse.

Thanks either way.

Stef

Boil chicken
    shred chicken when it's cooked
    Season chicken, you can use packaged taco seasoning instead of making your own, to taste
    sautee spinach in seperate pan
    Add chicken, spinach, and cheese to tortilla.
    Fold tortilla over and grill till crspy in a pan :)

I just discovered you can make these, freeze them, and just microwave (they won't be very crispy) for a quick lunch/snack!! I am making some tonight I love these....I may add some mushrooms this time....sounds yummy!
  • steffie36
    steffie36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Thanks either way.

Stef

Boil chicken
    shred chicken when it's cooked
    Season chicken, you can use packaged taco seasoning instead of making your own, to taste
    sautee spinach in seperate pan
    Add chicken, spinach, and cheese to tortilla.
    Fold tortilla over and grill till crspy in a pan :)

I just discovered you can make these, freeze them, and just microwave (they won't be very crispy) for a quick lunch/snack!! I am making some tonight I love these....I may add some mushrooms this time....sounds yummy!

Thanks dude. This helps so much! I can't wait to try it!
  • cujoamoog
    cujoamoog Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love mexican food!!! my one vice!
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    looks awesome, thanks for sharing!
  • Aradia_Silvermoon
    Options
    Thanks dude. This helps so much! I can't wait to try it!

Anytime!

Mexican Food is one of my top fav foods and vies too @cujoamoog!! Love it!