Deadlifts: Diet, training history, gender, and body weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    -Diet, deficit
    -How long I've been deadlifting, one year
    -Female
    -Body weight 150 pounds
    -Max deadlift (with straps, my grip sucks) 300 pounds
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Diet: Deficit
    Time: Been at Starting Strength for about 14 weeks now
    Body weight: 220 @ 5'10"

My deadlift for 1x5 is up to 270 as of last workout, but I'm still adding 10 lbs every time I deadlift, which is every other workout. I wanted to see if I could pull 1.5 x body weight last week (330 lbs) and I could, and that was right after my set of 5. Could probably have done a little more too.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Diet: Varies, usually at maintenance levels
    Time: about a year, and I usually do deadlifts 2, maybe 3 times a month (it's not a primary workout for me - I focus more on throwing exercises).
    Body weight: 360 @ 6'3"

My max deadlift is 565, but I still make too many form mistakes to have that consistently. I can pull 500 any day of the week, but get near 550 and things go shaky. My back has never been my strong suit, so I have a tendency to drop my butt too low as compensation.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    -Diet - Paleo/Primal so I eat till I'm full, have to get close to 100g of carbs each day or my lift get weak
    -How long you've been deadlifting - over a year
    -Whether you're male or female - female
    -Your body weight - 130lbs

current deadlift is 1x5 at 115lbs.

My hamstrings were always lacking until I started deadlifting. The gains came quickly and other hamstring moves increased as well such as hamstring curl.
  • kmrichardson1
    kmrichardson1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm at a deficit (losing about 2lbs a week).
    Deadlifting for about 2 months
    Female :)
    I weigh 193
    Current deadlift at 1x5 is 185.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Diet: Varies, usually at maintenance levels
    Time: about a year, and I usually do deadlifts 2, maybe 3 times a month (it's not a primary workout for me - I focus more on throwing exercises).
    Body weight: 360 @ 6'3"

My max deadlift is 565, but I still make too many form mistakes to have that consistently. I can pull 500 any day of the week, but get near 550 and things go shaky. My back has never been my strong suit, so I have a tendency to drop my butt too low as compensation.

That's such a great deadlift! I'm nowhere near your size (I'm 5'9 @140 and have a ton of mass to gain yet), but am going to start with 80 lbs, for low to moderate reps and would like to eventually do 400 lbs that same way. Apparently that's not an unreasonable goal after some time of serious lifting. My current max in my essentially untrained state is around 200 lbs now.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    So, what about grips, everyone?
    When do you use a certain type of grip, and why?
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    I'd like to start deadlifting regularly in the near future.
    stop thinking about it and just do it.

What are the relative contributions of these factors in how much someone should be able to deadlift? Is there a calculator?
    The will, or lack thereof, to pick the bar up with excellent technique is all you need to worry about.

-Diet: Maintenance
    -How long you've been deadlifting: May 2008 - February 2012 (325 lb max), started again in January 2013 (410 lb max).
    -body weight: 183 lbs

Totally agree with all of this. OP - it is admirable to get all the background info, but there comes a time to stop talking about it and just do it! :) Go pick that **** up off the floor!
    [/quote]

Ageed. I deadlifted twice a couple months ago just to try it. I'll be starting it soon, but not today.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Double overhand for all warm up and mid weight lifts, mixed grip when I'm working above 80% or so.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    Double overhand for all warm up and mid weight lifts, mixed grip when I'm working above 80% or so.

And what about grip width?