Eating Before and After a Workout

Options
i know you have all seen this post time and time again... And I'm sorry for asking again, but why not some fresh ideas?
I will start working out first thing in the morning starting in about a week...
So what should I eat before and after? Before/after cardio? Before/after lifting?
What do you eat?
:smile:

Replies

• UnleashingLovely
    Options
    No one?):
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Pre and post workout meal timing have no affect on body composition. That being said, it's all about how you feel when you work out. Some people feel best when they workout on an empty stomach, others nearly pass out if they work out fasted. In regards to post workout, don't worry about drinking a protein shake within 30 minutes like some people might tell you. That is unnecessary, just go home and eat a regular meal after you work out when you have the time.

As for me, I eat a big 1000 calorie lunch around noon, and I work out at 4:00 and have a big 1000 calorie dinner right after. I only eat 2 big meals a day, no snacks, and it works perfectly for me, you just gotta find what works best for you.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Pre and post workout meal timing have no affect on body composition. That being said, it's all about how you feel when you work out. Some people feel best when they workout on an empty stomach, others nearly pass out if they work out fasted. In regards to post workout, don't worry about drinking a protein shake within 30 minutes like some people might tell you. That is unnecessary, just go home and eat a regular meal after you work out when you have the time.

As for me, I eat a big 1000 calorie lunch around noon, and I work out at 4:00 and have a big 1000 calorie dinner right after. I only eat 2 big meals a day, no snacks, and it works perfectly for me, you just gotta find what works best for you.

I'm one of those people that need food.
    For real. Haha.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5am. Unless I'm absolutely ravenous or feeling weak, I don't eat before. After, I eat a normal breakfast, anywhere from 45 minutes to a couple of hours after.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a carb-ish snack before working out and something heavier and protein related after. My workouts are not as intense as some, but I do find that this works for me.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    I tend to eat a carb-ish snack before working out and something heavier and protein related after. My workouts are not as intense as some, but I do find that this works for me.

Like what snacks?
  • smb33495
    smb33495 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a lighter, protein based snack before I work out (like nuts, a hard boiled egg, Greek yogurt, or a few slices of cheese) or something with complex carbs (e.g. a multigrain bagel with a dab of butter or hummus). Then I bring a protein bar (Larabar) for during. Afterwards, I mix whey protein powder with 1.5 cups of 2% milk and drink that with whatever meal I have (which varies a lot). A few hours later I drink 2 TBSP of tart cherry concentrate mixed with 6 oz of water (helps with muscle soreness and joint pain).

Unlike the previous poster, smaller meals with snacks in between help me get through the day/workout.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before my workout because I find it doesn't sit well with me if I do. I usually eat my breakfast or dinner AFTER I workout (depending on what time of day I do it).
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    I like to eat a lighter, protein based snack before I work out (like nuts, a hard boiled egg, Greek yogurt, or a few slices of cheese) or something with complex carbs (e.g. a multigrain bagel with a dab of butter or hummus). Then I bring a protein bar (Larabar) for during. Afterwards, I mix whey protein powder with 1.5 cups of 2% milk and drink that with whatever meal I have (which varies a lot). A few hours later I drink 2 TBSP of tart cherry concentrate mixed with 6 oz of water (helps with muscle soreness and joint pain).

Unlike the previous poster, smaller meals with snacks in between help me get through the day/workout.

I'll have to try that tart cherry concentrate... I have a lot of joint problems.
    But this was really helpful. Thanks!
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I work out at 4:30am and don't eat before. Too early for me and no one likes to barf on leg day.
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5am. Unless I'm absolutely ravenous or feeling weak, I don't eat before. After, I eat a normal breakfast, anywhere from 45 minutes to a couple of hours after.

exactly this for me too
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have Oatmeal before I go and a greek yogurt/banana/strawberry smoothie after.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try that tart cherry concentrate... I have a lot of joint problems.
    But this was really helpful. Thanks!

I have bursitis and magnesium glycinate and glucosamine help me a lot. I also feel a paleo/primal based diet has an effect on reducing inflammation in general and reducing my joint pain. If you interested feel free to friend or message me.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before I work out or I don't have the energy, but it has to be very light so it doesn't sit like a rock in my stomach. Your don't want all your energy going to digest your food instead of your work out. Then after I eat a full meal with carbs, protein and fat.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    I have to eat before I work out or I don't have the energy, but it has to be very light so it doesn't sit like a rock in my stomach. Your don't want all your energy going to digest your food instead of your work out. Then after I eat a full meal with carbs, protein and fat.
    Can you give me an example of what you eat before?
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    I work out at 4:30am and don't eat before. Too early for me and no one likes to barf on leg day.

:laugh: Good point
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options

I'm no expert, but Layne Norton claims otherwise.

According to him, pre and post workout meals should contain a large portion of your daily carbs to prevent muscle loss.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm working with a sports nutritionist. He says when working out first thing in the morning you HAVE to have something in the tank to start your metabolic "engine" on or instead of burning fat, you will burn lean muscle mass as it's easier for the body to use. He has me do one scoop of protein powder with 5 oz or WATER before I get to the gym. I get sick on anything else. The water filters through your system quickly (so it doesn't slosh around) and your engine starts with the protein so your body's metabolism is already running consequently burning fat instead of muscle. I then right afterwards drink a full 8oz of water and another scoop of protein as I drive home. I eat breakfast a while later (about an hour) and that is a protein/carb combo as well.
    My two cents worth.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    I'm working with a sports nutritionist. He says when working out first thing in the morning you HAVE to have something in the tank to start your metabolic "engine" on or instead of burning fat, you will burn lean muscle mass as it's easier for the body to use. He has me do one scoop of protein powder with 5 oz or WATER before I get to the gym. I get sick on anything else. The water filters through your system quickly (so it doesn't slosh around) and your engine starts with the protein so your body's metabolism is already running consequently burning fat instead of muscle. I then right afterwards drink a full 8oz of water and another scoop of protein as I drive home. I eat breakfast a while later (about an hour) and that is a protein/carb combo as well.
    My two cents worth.
    What protein powder do you use?
    Mine tastes terrible in water and it's a little thick anyway for mornings.

*Edit for typo
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I either use Gold Standard Whey or MaxPro (from Max Muscle store). It isn't like drinking a milkshake but they do taste good in water. Hey, a squirt of Hershey's syrup sometimes works wonders in there, some days I add PB2 or Coconut oil. Anything to jazz it up.