HRM vs MFP database.......why so close and than so far?

Options
2»

Replies

• sirenical
    sirenical Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So I just viewed your screenshots.

While you don't want to believe the numbers for the walk... According to your HRM it seems accurate looking at them side by side.

Side by side

Bike Walk
    Time - 18:14 21:30
    Cal - 331 445
    Avg bpm 123 140
    Max bpm 159 170

Side by side, your walking time was longer, your average beats per minute was higher, your max beats per minute was higher, therefore your calories burned was higher.

While I am not suggesting it is 100% accurate, the data shows that it is close basing it on that information alone. It doesn't matter your speed if you are working harder to walk the same amount of time as you rode the bike.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i wasnt too worried about the variance between walking and biking. its that the bike was near spot on with the MFP bike numbers but the walking was so far off. Butlooking at last nights numbers, the HRM seems to be pretty spot on with the MFP numbers now.

I am gonna do the walk and bike again tonight and see if the results are the same or as someone suggested above, the HRM wasnt fitting as good on the walk. Ill give it an extra tug to pull it tighter and see how it goes.
  • ruthrowlett1
    ruthrowlett1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one trying to figure all these things out!!
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Out of experience, I'm incredulous about the HRM figure. 445 cals for 21 min of walking (2.5 mph) sounds very unlikely, that would be more than 1270 cals per hour. I know no activity that burns that much energy, the highest values per hour are around the 600-700 mark, and walking is not a high-calorie burning activity.

Granted this depends on weight and may be different for me than you, but I think not by as much.

The HRM estimates calories based on your heart rate and other paramters ( age, weight). So maybe your heart rate reading was especially high because it was still elevated after the bicycle, but Stil....

I go with karahjoy, maybe the HRM didn't properly reset between activities.

Ok so Im with these guys. I use my ft7 between 3 and 4 hours a day - my HRM's is the only number I trust generally - everything else is just an estimate in my eyes. For me, MFP cals are always high, and to use the ones you get from the machines you use? Those are waaaaay outta line (usually)

There could be some merit to your walk being so high due to riding the bike first (an elevated HR tends to stay elevated). Or possibly there is some error in calculation on the walk (400 plus cals for that walk IS really high).

Best advice from me is make sure your HRM is working properly, use it regularly, and TRUST it.

HRM is the most accurate way of counting cals that I know of, hands down.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite results for me. For Cycling, MFP gave me twice the number of cals burned than my HRM said, however, walking was closer, yet still higher.
    What I have learned over the past year, is that your HR is only an indication of how much energy you are expending. If you are considerable overweight or out of shape cardio-wise, your HR may be elevated considerably over the actual energy you are expending. There are fancy machines that measure your VO max, and other complicated things that I don't fully understand, that give you a more accurate calorie burn as you exercise.

Also, if you have a higher than average BF%, your body doesn't burn as many calories as someone at the same weight, yet more muscle mass and lower BF%.

MFP database and HRM are much more accurate for those who are closer to a healthy weight and Body Fat %.

I also agree that it is highly unlikely that you burn anywhere near 1300 cals per hour. Good thing you aren't eating them all back.

Many people who see elevated numbers, simply enter half the amount that MFP gives them, just to be on the safe side.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    MFP can only guesstimate on an average person....it may know your weight, height and age but not sure if it actually takes those into consideration on the calculator because whoever entered it in the database, unless its from your personal exercises, I would imagine is just entering an average burn for a "typical" person. I don't know what "typical" looks like for the men's side but for women, most calculators I've seen are normed on a 25 year old, 5'7"ish, 150 lb. woman and I am none of the above or even close so I hardly trust their calculations as accurate for me. In addition, they do not take into account your fitness level or exertion making the calculations even more suspect. I do not own an HRM so am not really all that familiar with how it works, but in my opinion, any tool that takes more of your personal data into account is going to give a more accurate estimate of your calorie burn than a generic calculation. Nothing is going to be 100% perfect so you just have to pick one tool to trust and go with whatever it says rather than obsessing over whether it is spot on....because none of them ever will be. Since I don't have an HRM, I take my pulse several times during a workout, take an average and plug it into the heart-rate based calorie burn calculator at shapesense.com which takes into consideration my actual age, weight, VO2max and average heart rate, along with exercise duration. In my opinion, the guesstimate is good enough because it just gives me a rough idea of how much I can eat and still lose and I usually don't come anywhere close to going over because in spite of the allowances they give me for exercise, I know from personal experience and experimentation that even with workouts, I can't go over about 1400 without starting to gain again. Just the way my body works no matter what anyone says. So that is my two cents worth on explaining the discrepancies....
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    i have been trying to not eat back more than 50% of the calories I log burned just in case it is getting high and it seems to be working for me. Im gonna keep testing it though and see how accurate/inaccurate it becomes.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I use the polar bluetooth HRM that links to my iPhone. Its the band like you would use with the FT4 but just not locked to a watch. I have used the Polar app and am currently using digifit. They are nearly the same as far as calories showed burned so I know its not the software with a wierd algorithem. But what trips me out is its so close on the bike and so far apart on the walking. I figure if its off, it should be way off and then I can factor that in. But with numbers flying all over, its hard to find a factor to work with.

Be aware that not all apps using the Polar Bluetooth HRM actually calculate using the heart rate. I also have a Polar Bluetooth, and the first app I tried did not calculate using HRM. I could do 30 minutes running or sitting on the couch, and it would show exactly the same thing. I was just plugging the time in and spitting out a number. Might want to check to be sure your app works correctly with the Bluetooth HRM. I currently use SportsTracker Pro.
  • spikesmom
    spikesmom Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I find that HRM's are more accurate for me than MFP, but I only use it as a guideline. My hubby is a huge tech geek and buys me all these things that I end up usually not using, but I do like the HRM because I use it to gauge my exertion for the same exercise, i.e. spinning or running. The model I have is the Polar RS300X and allows for my OWN(trademark) personalized testing that gives me a VO2Max.

Your numbers do sound high, but not ridiculous considering your height and weight. I'm 5'3", 118 pounds, and it takes me almost an hour of hard workout to hit those numbers of 400-600 :(

A lot of people don't like HRM's because if your heart rate is running high for other reasons than exercise, it will give you an inaccurate reading. But if you, like I, don't eat back your calories, don't sweat it. Just use it as a guideline. Over time, it will make more sense to you.
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    I use the polar bluetooth HRM that links to my iPhone. Its the band like you would use with the FT4 but just not locked to a watch. I have used the Polar app and am currently using digifit. They are nearly the same as far as calories showed burned so I know its not the software with a wierd algorithem. But what trips me out is its so close on the bike and so far apart on the walking. I figure if its off, it should be way off and then I can factor that in. But with numbers flying all over, its hard to find a factor to work with.

Be aware that not all apps using the Polar Bluetooth HRM actually calculate using the heart rate. I also have a Polar Bluetooth, and the first app I tried did not calculate using HRM. I could do 30 minutes running or sitting on the couch, and it would show exactly the same thing. I was just plugging the time in and spitting out a number. Might want to check to be sure your app works correctly with the Bluetooth HRM. I currently use SportsTracker Pro.

That was the first thing I looked at. Digifit does use the HRM numbers to calculate instead of an estimate. And in comparison the polar app comes up with nearly the exact same number as digifit does. But apps like mapmyfitness, even when wearing the monitor are very inflated compared to MFP and digifit.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    go with your HRM.
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    I find that HRM's are more accurate for me than MFP, but I only use it as a guideline. My hubby is a huge tech geek and buys me all these things that I end up usually not using, but I do like the HRM because I use it to gauge my exertion for the same exercise, i.e. spinning or running. The model I have is the Polar RS300X and allows for my OWN(trademark) personalized testing that gives me a VO2Max.

Your numbers do sound high, but not ridiculous considering your height and weight. I'm 5'3", 118 pounds, and it takes me almost an hour of hard workout to hit those numbers of 400-600 :(

A lot of people don't like HRM's because if your heart rate is running high for other reasons than exercise, it will give you an inaccurate reading. But if you, like I, don't eat back your calories, don't sweat it. Just use it as a guideline. Over time, it will make more sense to you.

mostly I want to learn to use the HRM as a motivator. Do I need to kick it up a notch or back out? Stuff like that.. calories will end up being a by product.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I kinda like strava or endomondo better than digfit. i used it once, didn't trust it.
    oh ok. Lets start this again.

the device is the bluetooth polar to my phone. Each activity is logged in its own log. It is not continuous. My stats are 378 lbs and 5'10" male

So here is the stationary bike - big spike was the push in the final k

ONwpRacl.png
    qMEcP1Jl.png

and here is the treadmill the 2 larger spikes are moments when I sped up to 3.5 and than 4.0

8Fqjk1Kl.png
    IijK7ETl.png
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    oh ok. Lets start this again.

the device is the bluetooth polar to my phone. Each activity is logged in its own log. It is not continuous. My stats are 378 lbs and 5'10" male

So here is the stationary bike - big spike was the push in the final k

Hi I use a polar H7 and Digifit too. For me, Digifit gives a much lower calorie burn estimate than MFP, Endomondo and a lot of other sources I looked at. I do trust the estimate though because it seems to match my actual exertion and real world results. I have done quite a bit of research and have tried my best to make sure all my settings were correct or close to correct. The settings include: height, weight, age, gender, body fat percent (though I don't think Digifit uses it as a factor), resting heart rate, maximum heart rate, and vo2max. I don't know my true max heart rate and vo2max but have done tests that estimate it and I opted to purchase the digifit assessments. I am pretty happy with the assessments, I did the more advanced assessments to estimate max heart rate and custom zones. My heart rate tends to be low compared to the standard numbers for my stats and doing this made my zones match my actual exertion.

I did ask what factors in and was told the total includes BMR and the activity type, your stats, heart rat during workout compared to max heart rate, and vo2max or fitness level rating are factors. Your numbers sound high, 400-and something for a mile sounds kind of high, but you have a much higher BMR than I do and will therefore burn a lot more calories. From the images you posted it looks like both were moderate aerobic workouts, so my guess is your BMR was the factor. I don't know whether MFP's estimates include BMR. I would suggest checking what it has for your VO2max and fitness level to make sure it isn't assuming a very high fitness level (unless you are very fit). And make sure your profile is correct.

Here is a blog entry from the Digifit site that describes their calorie burn estimates: http://blog.digifit.com/2013/03/counting-calories-digifit/

Since you don't eat most of your exercise calories it is probably fine. And you will likely see the calorie burn decrease with your weight (since your estimated BMR will then decrease)
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    i figure that if I dont eat back more than 50% of my workout calories I should be ahead of the game. My only other issue is no HRM in the pool. I swim my tush off in that pool but no real idea of how my HR is working. I tried to do an average based upon a reading every 4 laps but it was all over the place. MFP says 600ish for 30 minutes of light to moderate lap swimming. I feel im working quite harder than that based upon my reading but Ill stick with the light to moderate.

I still want to try the bike them walk combo. I was going to tonight but all the machines were taken so on the pool I went. More data can only help here right?
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    More data can only help here right?

Yep. I have to stand ashamed and publicly announce that I can't calculate. A fairly high-intensity exercise that I'm trying to get better at these days is rope jumping. The other day 5:15 minutes at average HR 178 = 70 calories according to the HRM; that's not 1333 per hour as I wrote, that's more like 800. Today I broke the 10 min mark at average HR 175, and it said 133 cals, almost exactly double for almost exactly the double time, and still almost 800 per hour.

So I'm embarassed but my world view is back to normal -- around 700-800-ish is the upper limit for calorie consumption per hour for any half way sustainable activity. Modify this of course by age, weight, fitness level, and maybe there are some really really strenuous activities out there and some really. Really fit people who can do them for a decent length of time... But for everyday calorie calculations for normal people, 600-800 as a max is a good rule of thumb.

Maybe your Polar makes the same mistake I made? I calculated 100 minutes in an hour when it has only 60.
  • LadyEm06
    LadyEm06 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. My HRM is anywhere from 50 to 300 calories more than MFP, depending on what I do. I will say that my heart is CRANKING during some of my crossfit exercises and long runs (like ~190). Given everything I've read, I default to the HRM over MFP. However, I have lost some weight and am generally more fit than the last time I calibrated my heart rate monitor, so I plan to recalibrate this weekend.

But, so long as it's calibrated to your weight, age, all those little drills they have you do prior to test your heart rate range, I say go with the HRM. I, too, only eat back 50% or fewer of my exercise calories just in case. So far, results have been just fine.
  • dchief30
    dchief30 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin fr60 had it for about 6 years been on M.F.P. for about about that long never trust mfp always trust the heart rate monitor they knows best and make sure all your profile stuff is right on heart rate monitor too are weight resting heart rate make sure all that is right (:
  • nicsalt
    nicsalt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    For the HRMs don't know crap comment...

Heart rate monitors are not "crap". They are way more accurate than MFP (which has no idea about the intensity of your workout). MFP uses and average number and we are all very different. Those who are less fit will have a higher calorie burn than a more fit partner doing the exact same workout due to the increased effort needed to do the same activity and added strain on their cardiovascular system and so on.
    Check out consumer reports, they have tested several styles and models and posted their findings.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/heart-rate-monitors.htm

I use a HRM every time I workout and enter my numbers manually into MFP.
    In the end if you don't have one, you're still burning calories and exercising and while you may not know the exact number, you know you are moving in the right direction.

Cheers!

ps, I use a Polar FT4 with chest strap and I never eat back my calories burned.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Very nice interface I may get one of these to play with .