Best Way to Workout With Limited Space

Options
c_tap77
c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
I recently moved into an apartment with very limited space. I can go outside to run or jump rope or do some other things, but does anyone have any recommendations for videos or exercises that can be done without a lot of space to work with?

We don't really have enough money to join a gym right now, and we're going to be getting a fold up-treadmill (some of our family is giving us theirs) so I can still walk or jog when the weather is crummy since we live in Ohio and we never know what conditions may be like outside. But I know it takes more than cardio to get into shape.

Once I move furniture out of the way, I have enough space to lay down with my arms stretched above my head and I can stretch my arms out to the sides as well but beyond that, I really don't have any more room.

I would love any advice anyone has!!!

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Iron gym pull up bar takes very little space and costs almost nothing.
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Zumba! I am looking for inexpensive DVDs myself. I can't do stationary equipment; I get bored immediately.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Chalene Xtreme and a set of adjustable dumbells...I did it the first time in the 5x8ft space between my bed and the wall - as long as you can stretch out on the ground you can do it.....
  • nebulala
    nebulala Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Jlllian's 30 Day Shred is really popular!

You just need space to do jumping jacks (sounds like you have that?), and the other big space taker is probably the lunges and the laying dumbbell flys (you don't need dumbbells, soup cans work). For that if you can spread-eagle on the floor (or at least spread out your arms) you're golden.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness.com has some very good bodyweight circuit routines designed for use in limited space, such as a hotel room or small apartment. It has a lot of other good information as well. It's worth a look.
  • jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am also in a small apartment in Ohio! I really like Jillian Michael's DVDs. I also have a kickboxing DVD from Billy Blanks. None of those have me using much room. If you have a Wii you may look at some of the fitness 'games' it has to offer. I like the Zumba and (funny as it may sound) Just Dance!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Ok - a few ideas

Generally "mat" type workouts ..... pilates and yoga require little space. You might look into "barre" (ballet) type workouts that use a mat & a chair.

To look for "mat" style workouts ..... go to collagevideo.com. They have video clips & reviews. This would help you pick some out. I would think most "straight" strength training DVDs would be a small space.

Cardio that requires little space ... indoor "walking" DVDs (Leslie Sansone, Chris Frytag, Debbie Rocker) ..... or look into getting a rebounder ..... this is a min-trampoline. This would allow you to do jogging, higher impact sytle workouts in a small space. Step aerobics is mostly a small space.
  • nanook37
    nanook37 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell workouts take a pretty limited amount of space (about the size of a yoga mat)