Why weights?

Options
I have been lifting heavy weights since January and have seen a pretty decent change in the way my body looks even though I haven't lost any weight. My diet has been crap and I am currently adjusting that because I want to see what is under my fat.

Why do bodies look so much better with lifting weights than cardio alone? Why are you able to shed body fat so much easier? Ideally, at a deficit your body fat would decrease either way, right?

I understand that while lifting weights you can preserve lean body mass and possibly gain a small amount of mass. I don't know why this confuses me so much and really isn't that important to understand why but I am a curious person.

I'm asking these questions in regards to women.

Replies

• Khaoz_Ferox
    Options
    Because your body need more energy to maintain the mass, so it eats up more calories.

Good article here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maia4.htm
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I read the article and the car analogy was good.
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    cardio just makes you a smaller version of what you currently are, loosing muscle is the number 1 mistake most women make and cant understand why they are not loosing weight even when their calories are stupidly low.

Each pound of muscle takes 20-30 calories a day
    Each pound of fat takes 5 calories a day

Lift heavy and still enjoy eating more while looking better.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I agree!
  • JeAnnRandallGraham
    JeAnnRandallGraham Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good for you for seeing the value in lifting weights. There are too many women who fear that lifting weights will make them "too big".
    I too love the results I get from lifting. It makes us look leaner as well as an overall better shape as we get older. It also helps women maintain good bone density.
    Keep up the good work :)
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    cardio just makes you a smaller version of what you currently are, loosing muscle is the number 1 mistake most women make and cant understand why they are not loosing weight even when their calories are stupidly low.

Each pound of muscle takes 20-30 calories a day
    Each pound of fat takes 5 calories a day

Lift heavy and still enjoy eating more while looking better.

Depends who you ask or where you read it. I've seen muscle is 7-10 cals a day and fat is 2-3. Regardless, it's good to have more muscle!