1200 calories

Options
what if you don't use all the calories? is that bad?

Replies

• sexymuffintop
    Options

Serious? You actually honestly cannot eat 1200 calories? How did you ever need to use MFP in the first place if you can't physically manage to eat 1200 calories a day?
  • dlb2207
    dlb2207 Posts: 6
    Options
    didn't mean I don't but if it were 1150 or 1175 would that be bad?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    please, before EVERYONE comes in here... read that link.

If you aren't going to, at least understand this: The 1200 calories that you have as your goal (for whatever reason) is already estimated to be less than you need. Eating less than that amount is of no benefit to you. If you're dead set on the 1200, regardless of anything else, at least eat that much.. you're not "saving calories" necessarily.

ETA: Congrats on picking the most infuriating topic on MFP. This thread will likely turn into a world of "U R SO WRONG!" in a few minutes. lol.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    it it's really that close I would err on the side of being a bit over rather than a tad under.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    please, before EVERYONE comes in here... read that link.

If you aren't going to, at least understand this: The 1200 calories that you have as your goal (for whatever reason) is already estimated to be less than you need. Eating less than that amount is of no benefit to you. If you're dead set on the 1200, regardless of anything else, at least eat that much.. you're not "saving calories" necessarily.

ETA: Congrats on picking the most infuriating topic on MFP. This thread will likely turn into a world of "U R SO WRONG!" in a few minutes. lol.

^^^ This!!!
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would bet money you're not weighing your food... how can you not eat 1200 calories?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    ZOMG!!! Peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk, please!!!
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I would bet money you're not weighing your food... how can you not eat 1200 calories?

I can eat that in one sitting, and still be hungry haha.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I can eat that in one sitting, and still be hungry haha.

I've eaten 1100 calories for breakfast before!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    didn't mean I don't but if it were 1150 or 1175 would that be bad?

or 1250 - it simply isn't that accurate so 1200 +/- 10% would not be a problem. Remember if you log exercise the eating goal goes up.
  • tkarguijo
    tkarguijo Posts: 35
    Options

Serious? You actually honestly cannot eat 1200 calories? How did you ever need to use MFP in the first place if you can't physically manage to eat 1200 calories a day?

It's very easy to eat less than that. I myself struggle with it because I stay so busy during the day I forget to eat and before I know it my only meal is supper. That being said, I DON'T DO IT ON PURPOSE! I find myself feeling a lot better and even losing inches and weight just by eating more...4 to 6 times a day.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

It's very easy to eat less than that. I myself struggle with it because I stay so busy during the day I forget to eat and before I know it my only meal is supper. That being said, I DON'T DO IT ON PURPOSE! I find myself feeling a lot better and even losing inches and weight just by eating more...4 to 6 times a day.

Forget to eat.....doesn't work in my head...but hey different folks and all that....:laugh:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 years old and started April 2012 on 1200 calories. I did a lot of reading on the forum and hooked up with people who told me I could eat more. I found my BMR and TDEE. I started adding 100 calories a week until I was eating around 1800 calories a day - what I should have been eating to lose weight.

It made a huge difference. I started lifting weights, running and I feel better than I have in decades. I still have a little to lose. But, I have found a lifestyle that works for me and that I can sustain for the rest of my life.

Read. Educate yourself. Read some more. Find like minded friends. Read some more. :flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Forget to eat.....doesn't work in my head...but hey different folks and all that....:laugh:

Yeah, this. If my brain is too busy to remember to eat, my tummy reminds it. And if my brain still doesn't listen, then my head starts hurting. If it still doesn't pay attention and do something about it, then I get kinda dizzy. Then, like, my body doesn't want to move, everything feels like such an extreme effort. Then my brain says, "you dummy, why didn't you listen to the stomach when it started complaining, now you can't even get us off our *kitten* to feed us!!"

So, like, my brain has learned to give tummy priority.
  • tkarguijo
    tkarguijo Posts: 35
    Options

Yeah, this. If my brain is too busy to remember to eat, my tummy reminds it. And if my brain still doesn't listen, then my head starts hurting. If it still doesn't pay attention and do something about it, then I get kinda dizzy. Then, like, my body doesn't want to move, everything feels like such an extreme effort. Then my brain says, "you dummy, why didn't you listen to the stomach when it started complaining, now you can't even get us off our *kitten* to feed us!!"

So, like, my brain has learned to give tummy priority.

I didn't say it was "normal" it is just something that apparently I trained my body to adapt to at a young age. I remember going all day without eating and then being starving when I got home from school...just didn't think about eating until I slowed down. Needless to say I was a toothpick back then, but as I got older it has hurt me...poor metabolism and all. I have to set reminders to eat during the day, but once I get a few weeks into eating multiple times a day my body adjusts and I start feeling those hunger pangs and sometimes even get a little light headed if I go too long. I have to FORCE myself to eat breakfast...and I am working hard at that one because I don't want to pass these bad habits down to my girls.
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I probably spend at least half my day thinking about my next meal, lol.