big losers experience needed:

Options
So, I'm 4 weeks into my new way of life thanks to MFP. I'm currently in "stage 2" as defined by Banks in his very eye-opening "expectations" post and I totally get what's going on, I'm plugging away and optimistic that this phase will pass and my body will start losing again.
Today I'm just in need of a little moral support from those of you who have "survived" this stage and seen the weight loss resume. I think I'm a little bummed out because doing some down-hill running the other day has really left my already wimpy knees quite sore and I am not able to work out at the same intensity I like to. I sure get used to those beautiful endorphins so I'm just feeling a little blue. I'm back up a pound as well, which I suspect is due to muscle gain, but it's still a tough thing to see. 11lbs in 4 weeks is great but I just need some cheerleading. Thanks guys, you're awesome!

Replies

• PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    So, I'm 4 weeks into my new way of life thanks to MFP. I'm currently in "stage 2" as defined by Banks in his very eye-opening "expectations" post and I totally get what's going on, I'm plugging away and optimistic that this phase will pass and my body will start losing again.
    Today I'm just in need of a little moral support from those of you who have "survived" this stage and seen the weight loss resume. I think I'm a little bummed out because doing some down-hill running the other day has really left my already wimpy knees quite sore and I am not able to work out at the same intensity I like to. I sure get used to those beautiful endorphins so I'm just feeling a little blue. I'm back up a pound as well, which I suspect is due to muscle gain, but it's still a tough thing to see. 11lbs in 4 weeks is great but I just need some cheerleading. Thanks guys, you're awesome!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. The (the!) most important ingredient in this game is patience.

Take a deep breath, step away from the scale, and do something nice for yourself to celebrate your accomplishment thus far. :flowerforyou:
  • sftbutterflykiss
    sftbutterflykiss Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    and water.. are you drinking?:drinker:
  • neurogirl
    neurogirl Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    You sound like you're doing great so far. Don't get discouraged if your weight loss slows down a little. Plateaus are normal (unfortunately). I've been through at least 3 plateaus before even starting this website. I've lost about 55 pounds so far, but hit a plateau after losing 20, after losing 45, and now I'm going through a slow down on weight loss. It takes patience and sometimes a little creativity (change in exercise, taking a day off, etc). I wish I had been able to lose eleven pounds in 4 weeks but my body is just at one of those plateaus and I've never been able to lose that much that quickly, so congratulations!
  • latinmermaid
    Options
    Your doing great!!! Just stay strong and keep your chin up. I have been there a couple of times since I have been on here. I just had a crash and burn moment during the 4th of July. We went camping for 4 days and I binged on some junk food and of course did not exercise while I was there. But when I got back I just made myself pick right back up and went for a 3 mile run on Sunday to make up for it. So just remember if you by chance happen to fall of the wagon, just get right back on.:flowerforyou:
    48687.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bittersweet22
    bittersweet22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there!! Just keep trying new foods and different exercises. our bodies get use the same thing. I know I still get down on myself. I see pictures of me and I think, man, I'm still fat!!!!! It just takes time, so just keep with it, and You'll do it!! Don't ever lose sight of your goal. 25627.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Post a rant--it's what I did today and felt better. No one minds :tongue:

Also, maybe consider a bicycle for exercise. It is soooooooooo much easier on the knees and ankles and you can really get in a great work out and burn obscene amount of calories. I have bad knees and a bad ankle and bike riding doesn't bother them at all--and I am up to riding 40 miles at a time now!

Give your knees a break--get a bike backpedal.gif
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm heading out this aft for my FAVOURITE kind of cardio. I've always loved riding my bike. Right now when I ride I am pulling about 130lbs behind me in the form of my chariot with my two children inside. Great for boosting the work out, but I do miss some of the meditative quality of the ride when I'm not also trying to keep them entertained :tongue:

Thanks everyone for your support. I really do need to meditate on the patience aspect. I realize that I'm still at a point where part of me worries that I'm not going to make it. I'm still building up my faith and confidence in the fact that this is indeed possible for me (a challenge in particular for people who have never known anything but being overweight, I think). In the fall when I made an attempt at losing some weight, this was the weight I was at when I had a big crash and ended up gaining back what I'd lost plus 5 lbs more. It will be a really big deal psychologically once I get down another 5-7 lbs because I think it will be like crossing into the "actual" race or something. I'm also very surprised at how quickly my cardiovascular system has bounced back into shape. In a matter of 4 weeks I've gone from being able to easily get 800 to 1000 cals worth of exercise in a day to having to bust my tail to get close to 500. I've always been really athletic (barring the past 4 years or so) and my CV system has always been BRILLIANT. But that's a tough mental transition too. Even though I know that burning fewer calories is a result of a much healthier CV system AND weighing 11 lbs less than before, on these days I battle my inclination to feel like it's just because I'm not working hard anymore. I guess this is where I get to really see all of the self-destructive and self-confidence-lacking thoughts I've allowed to flourish within myself. I think THIS part of the weight loss journey is the biggest thing that will make me a more confident person in the end. Not just that I'm thinner but because I've had to face and resolve all of these demons along the way.

Well, group therapy session over..... for now! lol :laugh: :laugh:

I can say one thing absolutely for certain. I could NOT do this without the support I've received here so far. THANK YOU!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Don't give up or get discouraged! You are doing exactly the right thing by asking for support. Your weight loss thus far is great, and a plateau is normal. Stick to it, and remember how far you've come. This is a slow process and it is hard to be patient, but that's the most important thing you can do to be successful. Try to mix up your exercise types, times, and intensity, and your calorie intake to confuse your metabolism and get the scale moving in the right direction again. Read some of the posts in the success section especially those who tell about losing over 50 lbs. Good luck and here's wishing you continued success.:flowerforyou:
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place for encouragement. It's normal to feel discouraged and down once in a while but keep at it, it can be done!:happy: