is it ok to have just elliptical for cardio

Options
Elliptical/cross trainer seems to be the only cardio workout I can do. I have tried the treadmill, the stairmaster n regular walking/running, nothing seems to be working for me..they are either too tuff(stairmaster) or they feel easy, Im unable to push myself to the level where I would sweat n it wud really burn calories..on the other hand Im able to shoot up the resistance on the elliptical n burn easily 700 calories in an hour. Im trying to mix up strength training in my workout regime but is it ok to just do the elliptical for cardio

Everytime I try the others, I seem to be taking too many breaks or just not able to do it fast enough. It just doesnt seem to be worth it. At the same time Im worried that my body would get used to the elliptical n not really the burn so much calories as the machine shows.

Im just a newbie, so how long can I go on with the elliptical before the body getting used to it?

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    700 calories won't be accurate even if it says so on the treadmill. 500 is probably closer.

You can stay with what you know or try the machines you think are 'too tough'. Aim for 3 minutes the first time, then 5 then 8 etc and I'd say that's better personally.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. You can lose weight with diet alone and do not need any type of exercise. A calorie defecit is all that is needed. If you want to work on your cardiovascular health, then I would say yes an eliptical may be all that you need. The only thing you need from cardio (if it is in your goals) is to find something that will increase your heart rate that you enjoy and/or can stick to.

Maybe re-post your goals and others can chime in, good luck!!!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a rebounder or mini trampoline? I do the eliptical most of the time, but mix it up with rebounder, plain walking, hiking (uphill is hard), swimming, biking, and skating. By the way, skating burns a lot of calories and is fun and easy.
  • fitocordon
    fitocordon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I have a knee problem so I know its hard to mix things up to make it work. The elliptical I feel is not the most amazing workout, but I do get better results when instead of holding on to the handles i just move my arms like I was running. Obviously dont do this if you dont have enough balance! But at least that was I feel like you use up more energy. I also have had good luck running on grass, so if you can go to a football field or a park where they have a big green area run there. Try doing intense running for a minute and then walking/jogging and do that for 30 mins and you will definitely see results. Rowing machines are also great for cardio and strength. Finally, to switch it up try doing stationary bicycle or a beginners class of spinning. It's real tough, but if you can do it at your own pace and keep up you will see results for sure!! And you are right unless you switch it up, your results wont be nearly as good as if you did.
    Good job and Keep it going!