Lemon water???

Options
dk82
dk82 Posts: 142 Member
I have heard about the benefits of drinking lemon water in the morning. Does anyone do this and have you noticed any of the benefits?

Thanks

Replies

• StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I did that for some time, I'd squeeze the juice from half a fresh lemon and mix it with water and down it before I ate or drank anything else each morning. I found it really cleared my constant mucus build up I'd get. I would cough all day long and bring up chunks of stuff, and no I don't smoke. Then I just went off milk, I don't drink it anymore and now I don't have a mucus problem.

Fresh lemons are expensive in Tokyo, so I don't do this anymore.

I'm sure it can't hurt you, the extra vitamin C must be good for you.

Cheers!
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I drink it most mornings, just a glass of hot water with lemon.....I have heard that it helps to get your metabolism going for the day, and normally I do not eat anything until around 11am....I know some people that add cayenne pepper to it also, which really gets your metabolism going, but I just can stomach cayenne that early in the morning!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    This sounds really interesting...

Like Stu, I get a lot of mucus build up, I've wondered for a while if it's because of dairy! I do have a lot of allergies though, so it's hard to say if it's from them or something like milk.

Anyone else drink lemon water?
  • abbetiteforlife
    Options
    I can't say that there is any particular health benefits associated with it, but I know that adding lime or lemon juice to my water container helps make the water much easier to guzzle down. Water by itself gets old, but a little bit of lime juice always helps me.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I drink it most mornings, just a glass of hot water with lemon.....I have heard that it helps to get your metabolism going for the day, and normally I do not eat anything until around 11am....I know some people that add cayenne pepper to it also, which really gets your metabolism going, but I just can stomach cayenne that early in the morning!

Does it matter if it's first thing in the morning? Right now my morning routine is set in stone...

Medication, wait an hour, medication, wait half an hour, then breakfast. I might be able to add the lemon water after the half hour and then push breakfast back some more, but it really eats into my day! Days I have to be out of the house early are becoming a problem.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Thanks for that! I would have never thought to add cayenne to it!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    The only reason I'll add lemon to my water is either to help "shock" me awake or if I just don't feel like plain water and a little lemon seasons it up.

Some people believe that lemon juice will help your stomach break down foods, but lemon juice has the same pH acidity as our gastric juices, not more so it wouldn't be particularly "extra" effective especially in the small amounts that are recommended. What it could do is actually have a similar effect of your stomach having too much stomach acid in it which is not good for you.

It's not magic. It doesn't melt away pounds or super break down food or hype up your metabolism anymore than normal food would. Put it in water if it helps you guzzle it down but don't overdo it. Lemons are delicious and they do have some great vitamins.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My husband found this "water diet" in a magazine. I did it a few years ago, hot lemon water (with juice not fresh lemons) in the morning, lots of water throughout the day, cold and then room temp water 30 min. before a meal and I lost 5 lbs (trying to lose a little before my son's wedding). But I didn't keep it up because I don't like water and of course you go back to your old habits. I have thought about trying it again but haven't.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, anytime I can add cayenne to my food...I like hot things anyways, and the added boast to the metabolism is just a bonus!
  • IrishChik
    Options
    In 2002 when I first started Weight Watchers I was stuck on Diet Dr Pepper. I did drink a lot of water, but I wanted to get off the soda. To do that I had to drink more water and it got boring after a while. I would make pictures of water with orange slices or lemon to help add some flavor. I got off the soda habit.

Now, here I am some years later and trying to lose the weight again. I was watching this weeks 'Thintervention with Jackie Warner and she talked about putting a dash of lemon juice (did not have to be fresh lemons, she showed the bottled stuff) in your water to help with flavor and rev up the metabolism.

I put a few dashes in my bottle today. If anything at least my water if flavored and calorie free as well as getting a bit more Vit. C
  • IrishChik
    Options
    My husband found this "water diet" in a magazine. I did it a few years ago, hot lemon water (with juice not fresh lemons) in the morning, lots of water throughout the day, cold and then room temp water 30 min. before a meal and I lost 5 lbs (trying to lose a little before my son's wedding). But I didn't keep it up because I don't like water and of course you go back to your old habits. I have thought about trying it again but haven't.

I think it is great in hot water. Something I have always wondered was back in the day we were told that we should drink ice cold water. The colder the better because our bodies will burn more calories warming the cold water. So, now it is better to drink hot and room temp?
  • alexander1010
    Options
    There are many benefits of lemon water..I heard about it that i helps us to maintain blood pressure.But I drink it for taste.
  • jillie10
    jillie10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add a drop of lemon juice to my water, thruout the day. It helps flush out fluid. Dr's reccomend it for a martial way to elimanye excess fluid.