Achy brakey back??

Options
This is my second go round with weight loss, And both times I've noticed an increase in back and neck pain. I have scoliosis so my spine is curved, back and neck pain is nothing new to me. That being said, I notice the more weight I lose the more often it hurts. I work out 5-6 days a week and do strength 2-3 of those days. Any suggestions on how I can reduce the achy brakey back?

EDIT** Also any exercises that might help to keep the spine straight?

Replies

• nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Make absolutely sure you're doing your strength exercises with correct form!
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    Hey love.

Yoga, daily back stretching (we're talking 5 mins 3 times a day kind of thing), tens machine (pick em up cheap online!), deep heat and, if you've got a willing partner or friend, as many massages as you can get!

Also be aware of not slouching/your general form and posture in your day to day life. Where you sit can be important too...if you've got a dodgy back you don't want to be slouching into a soft sofa. Your knees should always be below your hips when you're sat down and avoid the cushty seats!

I feel you, back pain is the worst. I've been dealing with it for 5+ years now and have just tried to come to terms with managing it.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with back pain--if you're having issues, you may want to check with a doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor, etc. to ensure that what you're doing to help your overall health, isn't affecting your spine. :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Stretching, correct form lifting, and avoid high impact exercises.

I've discovered I can't run. wwaahh... kills my lower back. :sad:
    So I have to walk and maybe do elliptical or bike for high intensity.
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    Hey love.

Yoga, daily back stretching (we're talking 5 mins 3 times a day kind of thing), tens machine (pick em up cheap online!), deep heat and, if you've got a willing partner or friend, as many massages as you can get!

Also be aware of not slouching/your general form and posture in your day to day life. Where you sit can be important too...if you've got a dodgy back you don't want to be slouching into a soft sofa. Your knees should always be below your hips when you're sat down and avoid the cushty seats!

I feel you, back pain is the worst. I've been dealing with it for 5+ years now and have just tried to come to terms with managing it.

Thx babe, I keep saying I need to add in more yoga. I do stretch it, obviously not enough. I completely forgot about a tens machine, I will be looking for one immediately. When I was getting frequent adjustments from a Chiropractor I would get hooked up to one and felt great! My hubby is pretty good about the back rubs, so I will just have to break the news more of them. LOL.

For as long as I can remember I've had the pain, I just find it odd that as I lose weight it gets worse. Honestly I find it ironic.. I'm getting healthier and my body fights me for it.
  • crisbabe81
    Options
    Stretching, correct form lifting, and avoid high impact exercises.

I've discovered I can't run. wwaahh... kills my lower back. :sad:
    So I have to walk and maybe do elliptical or bike for high intensity.

I don't run, NOT a pretty site. I've always been blessed in the chest area. Would hate for people to think my husband beats me. LOL, all kidding aside. I walk for most of my exercise I should use the elliptical I just die after 20 min. As far as form I'm doing the same exercises the trainer showed me my last weight loss go round, to be sure I have proper form I will have my hubby double check it for me.
  • crisbabe81
    Options
    Does anyone know of specific exercises that I can do to maybe strengthen my back and neck? My thought is that working the muscles more will help to keep the spine straight? I could be completely wrong just looking for help.