Enzyme Supplements?

Options
I was talking to my therapist today about my weight loss and such, and he said something about enzyme supplements boosting metabolism. I just wanted to know if anyone takes specific enzyme supplements, and if they help with your metabolism or not? Are they safe, or just a waste of time? Thanks if you have any advice. :)

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt a digestive enzyme would aid in weight loss, it just doesn't make any sense if you know how it works. However, I take Bromelain on an empty stomach to help with body inflammation, it's kinda pricey.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I think fecal bacteriotherapy is much more natural
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I think fecal bacteriotherapy is much more natural

Digestive enzymes probably will not help with weight loss, but they can help with things like indigestion, stomach and intestine discomfort etc. Probiotics can help with absorption of nutrients and other "regularity" issues and are much cheaper and have less of an ick factor than the above.

ETA: Digestive enzymes are plentiful in raw fruits and veggies.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I was talking to my therapist today about my weight loss and such, and he said something about enzyme supplements boosting metabolism. I just wanted to know if anyone takes specific enzyme supplements, and if they help with your metabolism or not? Are they safe, or just a waste of time? Thanks if you have any advice. :)
    All I have to say is therapist =/= nutritionist.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take nutrition advice from anyone but a dietician or a nutritionist. Anyone else isn't fully trained and knowledgeable in the subject.

Digestive enzymes won't help you lose weight. They won't boost your metabolism. Eating healthy, eating enough and building muscle will boost your metabolism.
  • nmuwildcat
    nmuwildcat Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt a digestive enzyme would aid in weight loss, it just doesn't make any sense if you know how it works. However, I take Bromelain on an empty stomach to help with body inflammation, it's kinda pricey.
    Hmm ok, thank you for your feedback!
  • nmuwildcat
    Options
    All I have to say is therapist =/= nutritionist.
    I know, my question on here was just out of curiosity.
  • nmuwildcat
    Options
    I wouldn't take nutrition advice from anyone but a dietician or a nutritionist. Anyone else isn't fully trained and knowledgeable in the subject.

Digestive enzymes won't help you lose weight. They won't boost your metabolism. Eating healthy, eating enough and building muscle will boost your metabolism.
    Yeah, I know. I am going to talk to my dietician the next time I see her. I am just open to advice from anyone, but smart enough to not just dive into it. =/
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Enzymes help you ABSORB calories...they won't aid in weight loss....people I know who take enzymes have to take them because they have issues with their intestines not absorbing nutrients.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I take digestive enzymes--but I do not think that there is a direct correlation. As another poster outlined, digestive enzymes helps with the digestion and absorption of food.

I'd go back to your health provider and ask more questions. Is there an underlying issue that he/she thinks would benefit from better food digestion and absorption. If so, digestive enzymes are not the only way to support these processes.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I'm on digestive enzymes for horrible digestive issues.

Granted, mine are expensive as hell, but they are helping, so I pay it. It's not prescription, but all natural essential oils.

It didn't help me lose weight though, I started having issues after I had lost most of my weight.

So for weight loss, no. But for my issues, it did help me.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options

enzymes aid in digestion but they will not boost metabolism